The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Growing up in the 60's

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jimjr
I hate to admit this, but I drove a 62 Plymouth Valiant as my first car. The only really cool option on these cars were the small doors below the dash that you opened up for fresh air. The doors opened up to small compartments where we stashed a few warm beers, closed the doors and drove around for an hour or so in the cold weather, after which time the beers would be pretty cold and ready to guzzle! ' Course, the only beer we could get our hands on would be Schlitz or Falstaff. We'd kill for a St. Louie Bud!!! I remember mounting an Automatic Radio 8 Track under the dash on a two section mounting plate so you could remove the beast (probably weighed in at 10 pounds!) and take it inside for the night. Listened to Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Black Sabbath, The Stones. Lucky to still have my hearing! Got rid of the Valiant and bought a nice 67 Olds Cutlass two-door for $650 and ran that with the same 8 Track, same tapes. This is a great thread. Sounds like some of us would have had a blast together if we had hooked up in the old days. Well, thanks for all the memories and HAPPY MOTORING!!!
jimjr,
You must be a youngin as I was listening to , Buddy Holly & the Crickets(Not Fade Away), The Cascades (Rhythm of the Falling Rain), Frankie Ford(Sea Cruise), Drifters(Save the Last Dance for Me), Ernie K. Doe(Mother-in-Law), The Tokens(The Lion Sleeps Tonight), Gene Chandler(Duke of Earl). I could go on and on as I have 20 gigs of music and alot is 50s, 60s, and 70s music (Over 700 songs). Bring back some memories you guys that are older than dirt (like me)?
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I don't have to tell you where I fit. gawd I hated cleaning the Milk seperator.
Did you have a "Daisey" Churn ?

Geeze Louise having a cow is like being in prison.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes
2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5.Newsreels before the movie
6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
7.Peashooters
8. Howdy Doody
9. 45 RPM records
10.Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with lever
12. Blue flashbulb
13.Cork popguns
14. Studebakers
15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 11-15 =You're older than dirt!
All but Howdy Doody , we only got 2 channels plus one in french. instead of Howgy Doody we had the Freindly Giant.Mom had the washing machine with the automatic ringer on the top (high tech) and my brother decided to sick his hand in it. he didn't start screaming til it got up to his shoulder and couldn't go up any higher but it kept turning. made a mess of his upper arm, a scar he bears to this day.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Captain of my ship

chores?

I sat at the table many times before i figured out my dad was more stubborn that I was.3 kids in the house 1 set and cleared the table 1 washed dishes 1 dried and put away , we switched jobs everyday and it was marked on a calender who did what on what day.Bots had to help split and pile wood and had to help out with weeding the gardens by hand. dad grew most of our vegetables and he stored in a cold house that he dug into the side of a hill and layed block then back filled so only the side with the door was exposed.We had EARLY times that we HAD to be home by and if we were 5 minutes late we were not allowed out of the house the next day, except to do chores.I got the strap in school a few times , thick rubber and about 18" long.Talk about sting We had to respect our elders period , something I see little of today.We had to respect our own and other people's things.Both parents worked , dad in the military and mom a teacher and they both worked when they got home and the kids were expected to help out.
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Would that be on the Butter label?
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
Would that be on the Butter label?
I believe they come in different sizes. My grandmother had one that had the paddles in a 2 ' high tin square container. The one I have is a glass jar with the crank on top of the lid.[and of course the paddles inside the jar.]
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM

I believe they come in different sizes. My grandmother had one that had the paddles in a 2 ' high tin square container. The one I have is a glass jar with the crank on top of the lid.[and of course the paddles inside the jar.]
Just pulling your chain Jamesbo My uncle had a farm in upstate New York and I would spend some summer up there so I know what a butter churn is. Actually it is a "Dazy" as they were made by John Dazy even though they had a daisy flower on the handle.
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Geeze Louise having a cow is like being in prison.
Yes, but that was my sisters job and yes farm animals take a lot of care and you have to milk the cow twice a day no matter what.

Later on we moved to the city for about three years when my dad broke his back so mom could run a boarding house. Mom bought margarine, came in a plastic bag with a red dot on it you squeezed the red dot which released the yellow dye then you kneeded the plastic bag until the contents turned yellow ug. We also had powered milk which mom mixed half and half with the delivered milk to make the milk last longer to save money. Boy was I happy when dad got better and we moved back to the country.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM

How about homemade facesoap,ice cream,bread,butter and clothes.We drank milk straight from the cow usually still warm and eggs right from the chicken.If it was on our table we grew it or raised it ourselves We ate everything that was put in front of us.If we didn't eat it for supper because we didn't like it then we got it for breakfast.Dad used to say if the food sat on the table all night our taste buds would change.We lived in a very strict house if we did something wrong and we ran when mom would swing the broom she just waited for dad to get home and take his belt off
If that happened we were in for some big hurt.In those days you learned respect one way or another.OH FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Last edited by bulldog; August 6th, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Captain of my ship

.In those days you learned respect one way or another.OH FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS[/quote]
today they threaten to call child welfare on you if you disapline them. I would grab the phone and ask them to look up the number
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Another quiz

1. In the 1940s, where were automobile headlight dimmer switches located?
a. On the floor shift ****.
b.. On the floor board, to the left of the clutch.
c. Next to the horn.

2. The bottle top of a Royal Crown Cola bottle had holes in it. For what was it used?
a. Capture lightning bugs.
b. To sprinkle clothes before ironing.
c. Large salt shaker.

3. Why was having milk delivered a problem in northern winters?
a. Cows got cold and wouldn't produce milk.
b. Ice on highways forced delivery by dog sled.
c. Milkmen left deliveries outside of front doors and milk would freeze, expanding and pushing up the cardboard bottle top.

4. What was the popular chewing gum named for a game of chance?
a. Blackjack
b. Gin
c. Craps

5. What method did women use to look as if they were wearing stockings when none were available due to rationing during WW II.
a. Suntan
b. Leg painting
c. Wearing slacks

6. What postwar car turned automotive design on its ear when you couldn't tell whether it was coming or going?
a. Studebaker
b. Nash Metro
c. Tucker

7. Which was a popular candy when you were a kid?
A. Strips of dried peanut butter.
b. Chocolate licorice bars.
c. Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.

8. How was Butch wax used?
a. To stiffen a flat-top haircut so it stood up.
b. To make floors shiny and prevent scuffing.
c. On the wheels of roller skates to prevent rust.

9. Before inline skates, how did you keep your roller skates attached to your shoes?
a. With clamps, tightened by a skate key.
b. Woven straps that crossed the foot..
c. Long pieces of twine.

10. As a kid, what was considered the best way to reach a decision?
a. Consider all the facts.
b. Ask Mom.
c. Eeny-meeny-miney-MO.

11. What was the most dreaded disease in th e 1940s and 1950s?
a. Smallpox
b. AIDS
c. Polio

12. 'I'll be down to get you in a________, Honey'
a. SUV
b. Taxi
c. Streetcar

13. What was the name of Caroline Kennedy's pony?
a. Old Blue
b. Paint
c. Macaroni

14. What was a Duck-and-Cover Drill?
a. Part of the game of hide and seek.
b. What you did when your Mom called you in to do chores.
c. Hiding under your desk, and covering your head with your arms in an A-bomb drill.

15. What was the name of the Indian Princess on the Howdy Doody show?
a. Princess Summerfallwinterspring
b. Princess Sacajawea
c. Princess Moonshadow

16. What did all the really savvy students do when mimeographed tests were handed out in school?
a. Immediately sniffed the purple ink, as this was believed to get you high.
b. Made paper airplanes to see who could sail theirs out the window.
c. Wrote another pupil's name on the top, to avoid their failure.

17.. Why did your Mom shop in stores that gave Green Stamps with purchases?
a. To keep you out of mischief by licking the backs, which tasted like bubble gum.
b. They could be put in special books and redeemed for various household items.
c. They were given to the kids to be used as stick-on tattoos.

18. Praise the Lord, & pass the_________?
a. Meatballs
b. Dames
c. Ammunition

19. What was the name of the singing group that made the song 'Cabdriver' a hit?
a. The Ink Spots
b. The Supremes
c. The Esquires

20.. Who left his heart in San Francisco ?
a. Tony Bennett
b. Xavier Cugat
c. George Gershwin
-----------------------------SCORING

17- 20 correct: You are older than dirt, and obviously gifted with mental abilities. Now if you could only find your glasses. Definitely someone who should share your wisdom!

12 -16 correct: Not quite dirt yet, but you're getting there.

0 -11 correct: You are not old enough to share the wisdom of your experiences.
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am older than dirt (63 last month). When I was about 4, we moved out in the country. When we first moved there, we used to buy raw milk from a nearby dairy. Then we got our own milkcow (Brownie). My brother had to milk the cow. About the time I was becoming old enough to milk, we moved to a subdivision. I still have the butter churn with the two paddles and the crank. My mom also had a wooden butter mold which I think my sister has. I can also remember putting milk in a quart jar and shaking it until it turned to butter.

Any of you guys remember Crusader Rabbit? Mywife did not believe it existed until the the internet came along. It was very early TV. We got a TV in about 1952. I don't know how because we sure did not have any money.
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
3 Holley 2 barrels = 6 barrels.

Ford used "Six Barrel Carburetor" to market their 3-2 setup, as the name "Tri-Power" had already been taken, by Pontiac.

At least, that's what my Granny told me.

Norm
dodge called their 3 2 barrel setup six pack,while plymouth called it six barrel
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM

17-20. Actually got a 18. I liked Clove gum as well as the Blackjack. Butch wax would hold the DA in the back and "a little dab will do you" held the rest. In the 50's we all thought the A-bomb was going to get us.

Jamsbo,

How do you think this stuff up anyway. Wow it takes me back.
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Went to my 45 high school class reunion two Saturdays ago, Had a blast only thing wrong was a bunch of old people showed up. Drove the 57 ang got a lot of comments and of course we all talked agout the cars we had way back when, drive ins, and cruising, etc. One of the guys showed up in a 48 chevy shorty school bus, restored with a 454 chev engine. Had Bothell High School lettering on the side. He built it as a tribute bus for the people who have passed on since high school. There names and the date they died are lettered on the bus. He also recored the school fight song and plays it on outside speakers when he takes to shows and runs.

Pretty cool ride. Hard to believe 45 years has gone by, Sure went fast. Great bunch, we get together every year now, seems like we are short someone just about every year.

Thats all for now

Pat Class of 64
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:10 AM

I'm glad

Glad your name wasn't on the bus.

I saw a bunch of old fat cheerleaders at mine also. But what I really enjoy the most are the "Most likely to succeed's" and where they are now.
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
That was a heartfelt speach my friend. I graduated high school on the 5th. Had my 18th B-day on the 14th, and enrolled in perry technical institute on the 23rd. So basically I had 3 weeks of summer vacation, what am i upset about now ? not missing vacation, but not being able to afford working on my cutlass. Its a 69 4-door, i rebuilt the engine how I wanted it, and im going to build it how I want it, to take it to the dragstrip lol. Hopefully one of these days I will be able to afford that rearend and roller rockers...
Something similar: It was '65 I was 21, I bought my 1st new car (442!!!), my kid brother bought a "sleeper": '58 4dr Chevy Biscayne w/ a 348, Duntov cam & solids! We'd go down on University Ave & get a group of maybe 6 or 7, rotate who parked the next 2 side streets & get it on! University Ave in Minneapolis-St. Paul had lights 1/8 mi apart!
I "owned" that stretch that summer! Got beat once by 1 of the 1st Mustang Cobras, but only because I had the original 775/14 rubber & he had the new radials- I just couldn't get the grip I needed!
WHAT A SUMMER! And then came VietNam!

Ralph
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by smcurro
hmm...the best time I've had in my olds was a few days before my high school graduation. We were all headed up to the fire pit in the woods and I somehow ended up with seven girls in my cutlass...I had to put the top up just to stop them from jumping in! Once on our way while listening to Paul Revere and the Raiders a 69 mustang grande insisted on racing...and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.. Amongst the loudest screaming I've ever heard in my life I beat out the stang with room to spare...and needless to say those seven girls refused to get in my car ever again.

Would any of you believe that was three years ago?
Good for you! You got the feeeeeeling!

Ralph
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am glad to know I am in good company with several others from the class of 64. I have my 45 year reunion in November. It was exactly 40 years ago today that I left Norton AFB for DaNang. Seems like about 15 years instead of 40. Where did all that time go?
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM

Smile Older Than Dirt!

You Guys make my Day! Kindling old memories that warm the heart.
Looking at some old pictures, one from 1953 of my dad outside, doing I don't know what, and noticed that the post hole diggers in the back ground are the same ones that I have, and still use every once and a while. They built tools to last back then.
I remember all but the blue flashlight,on the older than dirt quiz.
While watching my mom in the mid fifty's do laundry, I got my hand a little to close to the ringer and got it caught in it. Boy did it hurt. My mom told me that I was lucky that it almost worn out or it would have broken my hand. I helped make butter also with the jar back then. Watch my Grandma make Lard from Pig fat, and cracklings. Cooking in a really big pot outside. Living in the country we had a party line until 1964.Then we moved into town.
Thanks again
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM

I love this thread. Im a youngin'. Just turned 18 this last month.

I love seeing old pics of people with cars, the outfits and the whole nostalgic thing...

You guys should post pictures of you all and your cars from back then.

Heres a cool one!

Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Registered

That guy on the left is T.V. Tommy Ivo. I can't place the guy on the right but he looks real familiar? Is that Ivo's twin Buick Nailhead dragster?
I probably had that pic on my bedroom wall back when it was new if it was in Hot Rod or Motor Trend, the car pics and posters were like wallpaper.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
That guy on the left is T.V. Tommy Ivo. I can't place the guy on the right but he looks real familiar? Is that Ivo's twin Buick Nailhead dragster?
I probably had that pic on my bedroom wall back when it was new if it was in Hot Rod or Motor Trend, the car pics and posters were like wallpaper.
How many people DON'T know who Tommy Ivo is!

Ralph
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM

Question

Reverbs, I had forgtten about those things A friend of mines mom had one in her Grand Prix.

I hate to say it but I remember 4 tracks also.

There's one thing we used to do, that I'm considering starting again.

After buying 3 gallons of gas for about a buck, we would shut off the pump and hold the loop in the hose up over our head to get the pint or so remaining in the hose loop into our gas tank.

Reverb, now that's something I'd like to put in my 57 Olds. Used to have it in the cars I owned in the mid-60's and iy was very cool sounding...are they still installing reverb???
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM

I had reverb in the '68 LeMans I used to own. Sadly, the radio never worked so I never got to use it. haha.

I think once stereo radios became the norm, reverb, which was used to great a "stereo effect", went by the wayside. Personally, I love it.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who never heard of TV Tommy Ivo. Most of us old guys will remember his 4 engine dragster. I love those old nailhead Buick engines because nothing else looks like them. Does it seem odd that one of these engines has a blower and one does not?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Does it seem odd that one of these engines has a blower and one does not?
Yeah, noticed that too!

Ralph
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I thought that was strange as well. Anybody see or have any info on that dragster
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I thought that was strange as well. Anybody see or have any info on that dragster

I found an article on it a little while ago, let me see if I can dig it up!
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Here's one of our local heros

http://www.nhraonline.com/50th/top50/P_Robinson22.html
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Jim Greens Performance Center

This is the guy's shop that built my 455 in my 57. He also owns a sweet 52 Old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vega4.jpg (72.0 KB, 19 views)
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM

I just saw "The Deer Hunter" again. Hadn't seen it in years. Along with the rotary dial in a phone booth, there were some Olds in the parking lot outside the steel mill.

Boy, what a powerful movie..........................Anyone serve on the Hancock during operation "Frequent Wind"? What a SNAFU.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:47 AM

A few oldies

Here's a few oldies
Attached Images
Brownie.jpg (11.9 KB, 12 views)
earnie banks.jpg (13.8 KB, 8 views)
sky king.jpg (14.9 KB, 11 views)
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Here's a few oldies
Sky King was one of my favorites. I think every family had a Kodak Brownie I know we did.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM

I had a crush on Penny - Sky King's neice.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM

I just saw "The Deer Hunter" again. Hadn't seen it in years. Along with the rotary dial in a phone booth, there were some Olds in the parking lot outside the steel mill.

Boy, what a powerful movie..........................Anyone serve on the Hancock during operation "Frequent Wind"? What a SNAFU.
One of the best movies ever in my opinion.

Always leaves me a little disturbed no matter how many times I have seen it. Yes indeed a very powerful movie.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Old September 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM

More Pics

Woof woof woof, What's that Lassie? Woof woof, So Timmy fell down a well? Where is it? Woof woof. In Doc's pasture?
Attached Images
speedy.jpg (11.7 KB, 6 views)
Lassie.jpg (7.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif
perkins.gif (25.0 KB, 7 views)
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
My crush was on Annette Funicello of the mouseketeers
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM

My crush was on

Ursla Undress
Attached Images
ursulaandress-m1.jpg (5.9 KB, 11 views)

Quick Reply: Growing up in the 60's