The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Growing up in the 60's

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks German442!! I love this site! These guys are teaching me a lot of things, and someone has to keep them in line! LOL
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
LOL! Her neighbor Leroy Fedders - I think he was a coach - drowned in the chicken soup! I remember laughing my a** off on that one! God, it was so stupid! You just had to laugh! And since I have no money, citcapp, how about a pair of slightly used 72 grilles instead.....
As they used to say I would rather have you owe it to me that cheat me out of it. Next time I'm in your area. You can buy me lunch and we can talk cars
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM

The only thing stupider than Mary Hartman Mary Hartman was Dame Edna Everage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLoF8CUnTJQ
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The only thing stupider than Mary Hartman Mary Hartman was Dame Edna Everage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLoF8CUnTJQ
Think so, Remember this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKsd8z6scw
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks, citcapp! Works for me!!
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by citcapp
Think so, Remember this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKsd8z6scw
My vote goes to Tiny Tim tiptoeing through his tulips
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM

Carson

One night Johnny Carson's show was going to be put into a time capsule. He jokingly said he was going to have Tiny Tim and Phyllis Diller on as the "Typical Amercian Couple."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phylllis diller.jpg (2.1 KB, 155 views)
Tiny tim.jpg (3.5 KB, 3 views)
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM

One night Johnny Carson's show was going to be put into a time capsule. He jokingly said he was going to have Tiny Tim and Phyllis Diller on as the "Typical Amercian Couple."
Put the two picture together and it would be a wedding picture made in hell
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah, what he said! LOL!!
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Captain of my ship

Phylis Diller was funny , Tiny Tim was not. I was really surprised the first time i saw her without all the makeup and hair , she was not bad looking.
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM

At the risk of boring the board to tears, I thought it might be helpful to some of the younger members to try to shed some light on how things were when the wondeful cars were made and how us "kids" viewed them in the sixties.

As is true today, Money was a problem even when gas was cheap. Oldsmobiles we a high end car and Very expensive. The list price for my 69 442 convertible with a/c was over $4,000. Mustangs were very popular IMHO because the base price was around 2K.

Unlike today,when you went to the dealership, most Everything was an option, am/fm, 8- track, a/c, posi, tires, buckets etc.[I believe 69 was the first year a stereo radio was avaliable in a car.]

Some factory options were not considered the "Gold" they are today. Many of us would select to personalize our cars rather than pay for and accept the factory options. In those years even a/c could be added [although with a few potential problems]

In my crowd no self respecting "cool dude" would have a Tic toc Tach and rally pac. We all wanted a big ole, Sun tach strapped to the steering column and a set of S&W gagues handing from under the dash.

I would imagine thousands of sets of SS I, II and III wheels were tossed in favor of the then popular American mags. Once again, Hurst Wheels were around but very expensive. A Hurst 4 speed shifter of course was a necessity in teenage 60's opinions.

Insted of getting a factory 8 Track we'd save up and get some aftermarkert [Like Lear] and install it ourselves and of course cut holes in the kick pannels for speakers.Then you could [bag some more groceries]save up again and purchase a F/M Cartridge that turned your 8 track into an F/M radio.

Mufflers, Why bother when you could go to a hardware store and by a short piece of pipe with a screw on cap and weld a set of "cut outs" into the exhaust before it ever neared the muffler to reduce noise. Drive home nice and quiet, leave home, crawl under car with pipe wrench and Voila LOUD exhaust.

Why waste money on a 69 3 spoke deluxe steering wheel [which today are worth a fortune.] We'd simply buy the leather wrap kits and lace them on our exisitng steering wheels or buy some custom Wood steering Wheel from J.C Whitney.

The long awaited point to this tome is this. When ya buy one of these wondeful cars, it comes with a history that somone [or perhaps many people ] have chosen to make it the way they wanted it to be. Now, it's your turn to either a] return it to origional or b] Do it the way you want to do it. It's your car and your time/money. I won't pass judgement on your purple ersatz H/O as long as you enjoy it.[ at least it's not a "Stang"]

Did we do stupid stuff? Of course, but we had fun with our cars. And I am glad to see the world now has forums like this one to share information and help [the old guys like me] and the younger gents.

Many thanks to all who participate.
I thank you for the Comments. They are Great.
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Unfortunately I wasn't around for the 1960's but my dad was, he graduated High School in '71. He was into the little european sports cars, his first car was a 1964 Austin Heely, then he had a 1969 Fiat 124 spider. He told me about a special cook book he had for simple meals you could cook on your exhaust manifolds or something. Sounded like a cool idea to me!
When he was growing up here, there were only 3 or 4 cops in town (we actually had a constabulary back then) and they all knew the kids, and everyone was more worried about the cop telling their dad on them than getting a ticket. My dad said of reckless driving:
Back in the 60's you could get away with that s**t
Now you really can't.
In my state of CT drivers under 18 get HUGE penalties for speeding, road racing, cell phone use, etc, much more severe than adults.
I obviously think it would have been cool to be around back then with the cars and the way of life and whatnot, but my dad also told me that a lot more kids died back then in car accidents, a LOT more. A kid at my school just died. I didn't know the guy, but I will say it's the saddest, dreariest, most misearable school atmospehere I've ever known, I just can't even imagine that atmosphere five times a year.
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Cheby posters

Remeber when?
Attached Images
hair.jpg (16.5 KB, 18 views)
cup holder.jpg (26.5 KB, 14 views)
spinning.jpg (21.9 KB, 14 views)
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM

The 60s were good at times, and not so good other times.

This is my first car, built by dad and myself for my senior year, 1966. It was originally green, 6 cylinder power glide. A 327 4 speed was transplanted. Note the cool nerf bars! Cool but usless!

disc2309-1.jpg

When 68 rolled around Uncle Sam called (the bad part) and the 55 sat untill I returned in early 70 and purchased a 70 Chevelle SS
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:16 AM

" Bad Part"

But hey, you got to visit wonderful S.E. Asia and meet Miss "Luv you long time"
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM

short time, long time, number 1

if it wasn't for a few pics and some scars I'd swear it was just a bad dream
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Era?

It just occured to me....................I grew up in the "muscle car era "and didn't even know I was in it.

Do any of you ole pharts out there remember when the first time you even heard the term "Muscle Car"

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car The 49 Olds was the first and it qutoes a 1967 article in Road test magazine. But I swear I don't remembering th term being used in these parts back then.

Anywho, I lived thru an era w/o knowing it.

But like they say, "If you remember the 60''s................you weren't there."
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Captain of my ship

Heck I remember the 60's but can't say the same for the 70's I never heard the term 'muscle car' til the mid 80's when people were starting to collect the older muscle cars.
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Don't remember hearing the term muscle car in the 60's. My first new car was a 66 dodge charger with a 426 hemi, bought from Bellevue Dodge, red with black interior. Crazy fast, spec's said 426hp, rumor was the hp was closer to 500. Must have been the 80's when I first heard the term.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I'm with wolfman on this one probably mid 80s.
Jamesbo I also went threw the Muscle car era in my mid to late teens and didn't realize it.I'm guessing because fast cars were the norm.Back then these were just cars.
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

Cool I Love my Musclecar

I've had this hanging on my wall for years.

I think it sums it all up, really doesn't matter when they were called musclecars or who was the first, we know what they are man.

If you don't get a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye reading it you aren't human or you just don't know man....you just don't know.

Old December 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Cutlass Lover

Amen. I feel the same way!
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Muscle Cars

(apologies up front for no Oldsmobile content)

I'm not sure which are my best memories .... dropping the clutch in my '68 Firebird 400HO and getting sideways thru 1st gear, or pulling revs in my '71 GTO and hearing the tires bark off for 30 ft hitting second ...
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
GM Enthusiast

Cool thread with a lot of great information. Thanks to all who talked about your experiences growing up then. I grew up in the late 80's, which was very different but still a great time to be a teenager. And, we still had a lot of cool cars on the road.

My family still had a lot of cool stuff in the garage at that time too: my dad had his 67 Thunderbird, my mom, 68 Corvette Convertible, my grandmother, 63 Riviera (I still have that car today), and my aunt's 67 Impala (I sold that 4 years ago). So you can see I grew up in a gearhead household.

There was still a lot of 60's cars in the school parking lot and some nice 80's as well: Camaros, Firebirds, 442's, Monte SS, Grand Prix, and even a GN. I wish I could go back to that time. It was a lot of fun.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Bluevista,That really says it all doesn't it.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I guess we all like to jes look at them.That's why so many of us say, "Please post a pic" to our Newbie friends.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I have to comment just to subscribe to this thread. I am guessing that I am Sandy's age. Came home from the hospital in a 55 88 (in 58) moved to Miami in a 57 88. Spent most of my childhood riding around Miami with my grandfather in his 60 88 conv. I remember it like it was yesterday. We used to go to Burger King (founded in Miami) a lot in those days. But I remember the drive in restaurants and drive in movies.

In addition to the 58 and 60 88s there were lots of Ford and Chevies, wagons, convertibles, sensible lowly-equipped cars.

Anyone from Miami check this out http://www.pbase.com/image/64505500

The 1st car I started was a (64?) Chevy wagon that the key would come out of while running, and if you did not lock the iginition (just turned it off) you could turn it on without the key.

I was 6, it was Sunday morning, and our neighbor called my parents to tell them their 6 year old was in the car with the engine running. I remember it like it was yesterday.

The 1st car I got caught driving was my grandmother's 67 Cutlass. I used to spend Friday night at my grandparents' apartment on Miami Beach, and after the ride from South Miami, my grandmother would take a little nap before dinner.

Her house keys had a spare set of car keys on it (as mine do today, actually came in handy at the car wash last month when they locked the keys in the Toronado and the spare set was in my pocket) and while she napped, I would explore the building. I used to pull the Cutlass out of the garage (AM would not work in the garage) and sit and listen to the radio. As I was reparking it, the doorman walked up and asked what I was doing. I said parking the car. He asked how old I was (I was 10) and I said "16". I got busted rather quickly.

Later I figured out that on a 67 Cutlass, if you have no key, you can still get accesory power by stepping on the brake, putting the turn signal on and holding the 4 way flasher button halfway in (67 owners, go try it now!!)

A few years later I taught myself to learn stick in my Dad's 67 Austin Healy (I was maybe 13), stole the 72 Citroen SM at 14, the 73 Impala wagon at 15 (during 1st gas crisis - Mom always wondered why the gas was always low) I insisted it was because it was a 73 Chevy 400 and it got 8 mpg. But I got followed (read busted)

In those days, 73 74 75 76 I guess I was aware of muscle cars, and kids at school had hot cars.

But I had a 74 Gremlin (that I hated but it was new, had FM and A/C) with aspirations to get my hands on my grandmother's (now) 72 Delta Royale 4 door hardtop 350. Man I loved that car.

Funny I guess that my cars now are the same as the ones I loved back then... big, luxo barges.

What a great thread.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've had this hanging on my wall for years.

I think it sums it all up, really doesn't matter when they were called musclecars or who was the first, we know what they are man.

If you don't get a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye reading it you aren't human or you just don't know man....you just don't know.
Yep...that says it all. Is there any way that article can be scanned to this site in a way that we can copy it ?
A great piece of writing which validates what I thought was my own weird behaviour. Like watching me go by in the shop windows, standing talking to friends but not hearing them 'cos I'm looking at my car or walking round it in the shed checking out the angles then going for drives to no-where and back. Also reinforces my reason for wanting to sell the '67. It's no muscle car. Everything except the big block. Guess I miss that 440 chrysler with the cam and six-pack. So I gotta find me an Olds with a mild 455 and I'll be complete again.
Thanks for posting that article BV.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Yep!!!!!

WhatI say is: Back then, cars had CHARACTER, today, the'reso perfect (my '01 BMW 330ci) or just DULL.

Ralph
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Moment Member

In 67 my dad bought a 327 comaro convert. Triple black with a 3 speed stick. I was 5. My friends and I would claim every fast car in the niehborhood as mine or his or his. All we had to do was to shout "mine" first and you owned it. In our minds of course. My favorite was a green Super Bee. Sometimes he would roll down the block and after the turn right, he would lay the wood to it. Or the mysterious 421 GP with the eight lug wheels that was supposed to be really fast. What great memories.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I was just thing about the distintive character of cars in the 60's and their distintive look was not the only difference. Many cars had their distintive sounds. You could tell a big block Checy from a small block and a Hemi had a sound different from all others. Now most new cars look the same and SOUND the same.
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
I was just thing about the distintive character of cars in the 60's and their distintive look was not the only difference. Many cars had their distintive sounds. You could tell a big block Checy from a small block and a Hemi had a sound different from all others. Now most new cars look the same and SOUND the same.

Cars did have different sounds back in the day. I could tell when my sister was coming or going down the road in her Delta - (70's something). It just had a certain sound to it!!

These cars today do all look the same, sound the same, and they're all silver, maroon, brown, or black!!
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM

For me cars started becoming bland in the eary 70's. Before that each make had its special features that drew you to it.

Hudson Hornet twin carbs that inline 308 ci 6 was fast

Packard straight eight wow, smooth cool looking

Studebaker low and sleek always different

Chrysler 300 series cars hemi engine twin 4 barrels and fast had great exhaust.

What can you say about today cars. The challenge is to find your bland car in the 4-story parking garage when you enter at the wrong point. Then you start using your clicker to try and find it. Boring
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

True.
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that Oldsmobiles in particular had their own special exhaust note as well, apparently you could tell them apart from a Buick or Pontiac...I wasn't around back then but I can sure tell my exhaust sound apart from all the tin cans everyone else is driving today!
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dean O' Banion
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that Oldsmobiles in particular had their own special exhaust note as well, apparently you could tell them apart from a Buick or Pontiac...I wasn't around back then but I can sure tell my exhaust sound apart from all the tin cans everyone else is driving today!
Yeah!

That's 'cause Olds had their own block back then- as of '65, it was the 400 or in the large body cars, the 425. 400 was really a "modified" 425 to comply w/ the GM limit of 400 ci for Intermediate body cars.

I also remember shifting into 2nd @ 20 MPH w/ my '65 442 & then hitting it- burned thru into 3rd!

Ralph
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM

I was kidding Rob

On another thread and this ole song came to mind.

I'm sure Sandy and Rob [as well as many other Olds friends] are W-A-Y to young to remember "The Coasters"

But the purpose of the forum is to illuminate them? Right?

Look how young Dick Clark is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg

I'm gonna be singing this all day.
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Cutlass Lover

God Jamesbo... how old are you??? LOL!! You make yourself sound ancient!

I don't remember the Coasters... I have heard that song and I like it!! Just a happy little tune! Dick Clark did look young in that pic. Seems like he never aged on American Bandstand either. It's a shame he's like he is now, after having that stroke, but he keeps going, bless his heart!
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM

It was nice when girls tried to be pretty rather than look like one of boys. MY MY
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM

It's to bad we have to search high and low for an oldies station just to hear the music we grew up with. Damn now I'm singing that song.Oh well the way my mind works nowadays, it won't be long before it moves on to something else.

Quick Reply: Growing up in the 60's