The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Growing up in the 60's

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2008 | 06:56 PM

In 1967 Shell gas stations had a game where you had to collect stamps of NFL players. My uncle calls up one evening and says that he has something to show us. He, my aunt, and 2 cousins come crawling out of a brand new 67 mustang, red w/ black interior. Nothing special about the car, if I remember. Turns out he won the car in this game that Shell had. He needed Bart Starr, and he finally got it! Pisser was, that he just bought a new 67 T-Bird 4door as the new family car. He ended up selling the mustang to pay off most of the "bird". When was the last time you won ANYTHING from a gas station?
Old December 6th, 2008 | 04:17 AM

Well actually I won $5 on a scratch off ticket the other day......................but I haven't gotten any free mugs,plates or glasses in about oh 40 years I spose.
Old December 6th, 2008 | 06:39 AM

Are green stamps still available? If so were do you send them for gifts. When's the last time a station checked your oil, fan belts, air in your tires, and cleaned the windows plus gave you a place setting of dishes. Thats why they are called gas stations and not service stations anymore. When I was a kid the local Mobile station would let a bunch of us car clubers use the rack when he wasn't busy to work on our cars as long as we cleaned up our mess. Great times we all hung out at this station it was right next to the local burger joint and across the street from the theater. Great location
Old December 6th, 2008 | 07:47 AM

Here's where to redeem your S&H Green Stamps http://www.greenpoints.com/shopping/...FQITswod4C46jA
Old December 7th, 2008 | 07:06 AM

Got it, now all I have to do is find them. No local companies give them out anymore around here. The one good thing abut the search for the Green Stamps is that I will find other things that I have misplaced. Every time I go on the hunt for something I never find it, but I always find other things that I have misplaced. I have evil spirits the live in my house and garage and they are always hiding things. I know its not my age and memory. Now what was I talking about????????
Old December 24th, 2008 | 05:53 AM

ultimate land Yacht

All of this "Land Yacht" talk reminded me of a car a friend of mine's father drove.
Executive model Imperial. 65-6?? ish. The front passanger seat turned around 180 degrees and faced the rear and it had a small folding table in the pillar.

Talk about a "Party Barge"

Prop your feet up, Pop a cold one [and keep the tab to make a chain]and pass the pretzels

For the benefit of you young whipper snapppers. After the "church key" went out of style, Beer tabs had a ring on them and used to come off the can. You could link the tabs thru the rings and make a chain to decorate your ....................whatever.[ max chain length=max consumption of "dud suds"]
Old December 24th, 2008 | 10:46 AM

We use to hang those chains from the rear view mirror. Now the cops would pull you over just seeing those if they were still in use. My 56 chev had a place under the steering column were you could pop the top of a bottle of beer just like a coca cola bottle opener. Those were the days
Old December 25th, 2008 | 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Every time I go on the hunt for something I never find it, but I always find other things that I have misplaced. I have evil spirits the live in my house and garage and they are always hiding things. I know its not my age and memory. Now what was I talking about????????
I always buy something and know exactly where I want to keep it. When I go to where I want to keep the "precious needed item" there are usually 3 of the same thing waiting there.

I don't evil spirits only "Tribbles"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tribbles.jpg (10.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 25th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old December 25th, 2008 | 08:30 PM

I have more #2 philips head screw drivers then any 10 other people I know. My dad was the same. Must be a family trait, if you can't find it buy a new one what ever it is. Trbbles, one of the best Star Trecks ever

Last edited by citcapp; December 25th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old December 29th, 2008 | 03:24 AM

Remembering my "first time"....

Boy...reading this thread has brought back lots of memories...good and bad. Remembering my "first experience" seeing a 4-4-2. I was with my family on vacation at Myrtle Beach SC. It was the summer of 1966. Standing on a diving board getting ready to impress the girls with my skills on the board, a white '65 4-4-2 pulled up to the stop sign there on the corner. Noticing the numerals on the side, the gurgle of exhaust, I stopped seemingly in mid-air. I watched as he pulled onto Ocean Blvd, straighened the Olds. Still without blinking an eye, I watched and listened. He tached it up.....dropped the clutch and launched. As with any 15 year old, I watched and smelled the smoke of burning rubber as he hit the gears and disappeared north up Ocean Blvd.

I was absolutley hooked on this vehicle...4-4-2.

Owned my first in my senior year. It was March 1969 when I bought a black on black '67 4-4-2. I have owned many since. I have owned street rods, Chevelles, Camaros but the Olds 4-4-2 remains my first and current love.

And you thought my "first time" was something else.....
Old December 29th, 2008 | 05:33 AM

I was just a kid

I'll never forget when my neighbor came home from Viet Nam and the first thing he did was to buy a brand new Lemans blue 375hp 69 SS396 Chevelle 4 speed. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, he washed it constantly. I went home and dragged my Dad over to the house in the hopes that maybe we would get one.
Even at my young age I could tell my neighbor had been emotionally damaged by the war. The poor guy who was no more than a kid, had lost his Dad in the Korean war. He would come to church but never enter the main area and sit down, he would stand in the very back corners like he wasn't worthy to sit down. He had talked our neighborhood paper boy into signing up and he got killed right away, and it was like a piece of him died too. The cars and the music were good and at the time we didn't give it alot of thought, we just lived our lives.
Yes things were different.
Old December 29th, 2008 | 08:28 AM

Viet Nam, like any war made young people old before their time. I came from a small town and my high school graduating class lost a number of young men and those that came home were changed forever. Hot rods were a release for several of my friends. We raced on a uncompleted stretch of freeway near town. Had some good times
Old December 30th, 2008 | 09:06 AM

Speaking of Nam and Washington

A friend of mine was shipping out to Nam from Fort Lewis Washington.In what can only be described as a "Flash of insanity" he married a bimbo who was shall we say was "avalaible."

Fortunately, he returned home in reasonably good health only to find out his bride had taken a contract out on him.

Seems she was betting on 1st Lieutenants not making it back and had made a career out of marrying them and collecting on their G.I. insurance.
Old December 30th, 2008 | 01:31 PM

Just the kind of mate every guy needs. She should have been shot on the spot
Old December 31st, 2008 | 01:11 AM

Wow the 60's....I was still pretty young. I remember moving into our first house in the suburbs of Montreal (off the island) in 1961. I wasn't old enough to buy a car but I remember my father trading in our 1959 Ford Fairlane and buying a brand new 1963 Chevrolet Impala. I remember going to Florida on vacation in August of 63 and never thinking that I left Canada because the TV stations in Miami Beach had all the same cartoons and commercials. I remember my first day of school. I remember my mom crying in front of the TV while watching the news about the Kennedy assassination.

I remember in 1965 when some people came into our classroom and removed the Union Jack and replaced it with the Maple Leaf and said "Boys and girls, this is our new flag, the Maple Leaf. The Union Jack and Red Ensign will no longer represent Canada." I thought "What a cool looking flag." I remember my dad, (who was not born here) putting up a flag pole and flying it everyday since.

I remember in 1966 the Metro, Montreal's brand new subway system opening. The cars rode on rubber tires which made it smoother and quiter. Mexico City is building the same one today (with engineers from Montreal).

I remember in 1967, Canada's Centennial and Montreal hosting Expo 67 the most successful world's fair ever on man made islands in the St. Lawrence. 51 million visitors in 6 months. (Canada's population was 20 million) I saw the world's first IMAX theatre there and video phones. After Expo 67, world fairs used the term Expo in front of the year. I remember my dad buying Sunoco 210 for the car and receiving dishes or glasses.

I remember in 1968 Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy being assassinated. I remember Pierre Elliott Trudeau becoming Prime Minister. I remember when President Nixon was caught on tape calling him an ****ole and he responded by saying "I've been called worse by better people." I remember my dad buying a brand new 1968 Pontiac Grande Parisienne (Bonneville in the US) for $5,100.

In 1969 I remember Apollo 11 landing on the moon amd the Montreal Canadiens winning their 5th Stanley Cup in the decade. I remember the new Major League Baseball team the Montreal Expo's. I remember hearing about Woodstock but was too young to go as I was 12.

Oldsmobile's never really entered my mind until I saw a Colonnade style model in the late 70's and bought it. I was 22. I still have that car. Never could sell it. But that story will lead in to the 70's and this is about the 60's.

I think the car hobby is about memories. That's why (in most cases) the older guys like the older cars and the younger guys like the 70's and 80's Oldsmobiles. It's what we grew up with. For me it's the mid-seventies. For others it the 80's. For new generations it will have to be what we hand down or what they can afford. No more kids growing up with new Oldsmobile memories.

Last edited by 442much; December 31st, 2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old December 31st, 2008 | 04:17 AM

Speaking of Nam

Anyone remember this Bomb shell that toured Nam with the Bob Hope USO shows?
Attached Images
joey-then.jpg (17.9 KB, 13 views)
Old December 31st, 2008 | 04:18 AM
Past Administrator

Stella Stevens?
Old December 31st, 2008 | 04:32 AM

Gong

Gong

Oldsguy, go to the back of the class and hang your head in shame.

I guess if I showed her doing the Watusi with a bunch of sailors, you would have remembered her.
Attached Images
joey056.jpg (39.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 31st, 2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old December 31st, 2008 | 04:54 AM
Past Administrator

Hey that's me in that picture! The second sailor from the left there...

just kidding.
Old December 31st, 2008 | 05:15 AM

Hint

Hint
._ _ _

_ _ _

_ . _ _
Old December 31st, 2008 | 05:31 AM

wild guess

Jane Mansfield? The gal that ended up with a bad headache?
Old December 31st, 2008 | 05:54 AM

Gong

a] Not even close, wrong era

b] Please study your Morse code

c] Jane Mansfield "Went home to glory" in 1967

d] The Tet offensive was Jan 1968
Old December 31st, 2008 | 07:01 AM
Past Administrator

OH! Joey Heatherton!

I should have remembered that...
Old December 31st, 2008 | 07:05 AM

too late

Last edited by Danny Wiseley; December 31st, 2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: too late
Old December 31st, 2008 | 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
OH! Joey Heatherton!

I should have remembered that...
Yeah, they say that memory is the second thing to go
Old December 31st, 2008 | 10:36 AM

Whats the first, I can't remember...........were was I..............trying to......Oh well maybe next time........Oh yeah the golddiggers, they traveled with Bob hope, borrowed from Dean Martin. Great lookin all of them, they were also in Viet Nam
Old December 31st, 2008 | 11:48 AM

Bumper Sticker

Citcapp would you like me to send you a bumper sticker that reads

"I'm not fonda Hanoi Jane"

My appologizes to the younger group us old pharts on a a bit of a tear.
Old December 31st, 2008 | 12:16 PM

I posted this pic in the Hot Chicks thread

Joey Heatherton (yum)

Old December 31st, 2008 | 01:16 PM

Jamsbo,

I will never forgive Hanoi Jane. Another one that should have been shot. I won't even watch old movies with her in them. What a B*#%h. You have bumper stickers?
Old January 19th, 2009 | 04:28 AM

Movies

Normally, I don't do Movies or Malls, but yesterday I took my Super Model to see Grand Torino at the "walk in."

Sorry guys, it's not really about cars. But it was a reasonably good flick that we both enjoyed.

On the way home I was trying to figure out how old Clint Eastwood is and when his career began. Somewhere in our conversation I used the term "Spagetti Westers" and I got a whatchatakinbout" from my my wife. Ok, She's a half a generation younger than I, but I thought this was a comon term. Google agrees with me.

Did any of ya'll grow up calling them Spagetti Westerns?
Old January 19th, 2009 | 07:09 AM

Fist full of Dollars, For a few dollars more, were great, just watched one the other night. There are others of course Clint made another one can't remember the name but the town was painted red. Miss those westerns.
Old January 19th, 2009 | 01:17 PM

Remember him first as Rowdy Yates on Rawhide.
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 05:38 AM

Amazing

I only keep this thread alive so it will get moved to the clubhouse.
I am amazed at what I can find on the net. I never knew who
Joaquin Alberto Vargas y Chavez was but I've admired his work a million times.

Anyone know him?

I'll bet a dollar to a dounut you've admired his work also.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Alberto_vargas_young.gif (51.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Jamesbo; January 23rd, 2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 07:30 AM

Vargas girls from playboy, better looking then the real thing. Always admired his work, if fact still do.
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Vargas girls from playboy ........
Esquire.

Norm
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 08:38 AM

Well we have a tie here Esquire was first then Playboy.

citcap wins cause 88 coupe once said something that hurt someones feelings.
Attached Images
~Varga-Girl-Posters.jpg (24.8 KB, 9 views)
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 09:14 AM

Norm hurt someones feelings, na couldn't happen
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 09:43 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I only keep this thread alive so it will get moved to the clubhouse.
Done
Old January 23rd, 2009 | 10:22 AM

what a great stroll down memory lane...

well it seems i am a tweener, LOL.. I was born in 59, and I missed the 60's ( sorta ) but there were plenty of musclecars around I remember seeing the new models coming out when i was was a kid, I did do well on the test which actually scares me ...

I was born in brooklyn new york, but we moved out to stony brook long island when i was small, used to go to the smithtown all weather drive in, I remember when the smith haven mall was built my brother and friends used to ride our bikes, to the mall, my friend had a neat schwinn sting ray with a bannana seat and a sissy bar think it had drum brakes in the front, we used to borrow some plywood from the "projects" which were actually housing developments and emulate evil kineval, we used to go to the laundry mat buy a quarter box of soap and dump it into the fountain... did the usual flaming bags of dog poop on front steps, etc, when we started driving around the 50's cars were all getting pretty scarce when we were kids there fields of them, we loved the gto's 442's camaros etc but Jimmy Sarlo's black 57 chevy or tommy smalleys tunnel ram big block chevelle were king these were legitimate low 12's high 11 street cars, we used to go to west meadow beach and watch the races, out to national speedway. Man the pull tab chains around the rear view mirror reminded me of jimmy, his must of went 20 feet LOL... mooning, streaking, getting chicks to go to old mary's grave in stony brook... life was good....

could go to jack in the box burger and some frings ( fries and onion rings) man see the cool cars and the older guys, with the hot chicks... it was all good.

OBI south and east, tueys, mad hatter, hayloft, solomon and grundys great bars

thanks for the memories..

oh yeah southern rock ruled

skynyrd, allman brothers, dickie betts and great southern, molly hatchet, outlaws....

good stuff
Old January 26th, 2009 | 11:12 AM

more 60's trivia

For all you guys who had or have a Zippo.

Who was Luther L. Terry M.D.

And what did he do in 1964

Quick Reply: Growing up in the 60's