The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Growing up in the 60's

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Norm

It's a slow morning so I decided to check out which of your kin folk knew their Wonder Bread.

Guess what? They are BOTH correct. It appears Wonder Bread added some stuff between the 50's and 60's and changed for the "more better" 8 ways to 12 ways. That explains why your Granny said 8 and your Mammy said 12.

Who'd a thunk it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Bread

Now if we can just figger out why dat 455 is still over heating, we have the worlds problems solved.
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Oldsdruid

"We had everything in our memory
We had everything but we just couldn't see
We had everything in what the future was supposed to be
Everything.

I'm looking out the window of a German car
I'm looking through the prism of a cracked fruit jar
I'm halfway laughing at all these fears and the things that we all gotta face
And I'm looking out the window at the common years
Going someplace."

"The Common Years"- Swimming Pool Q's (a fine Atlanta band I suspect James has heard of...)

Boy, if Jeff Calder didn't hit the nail on the head with that one, about being a modern Southerner wrestling with his past, present and future... the country stores left behind, trying to make it in a world that is totally foreign to every value you had, and wondering how it'll all turn out in the end, and whether you'll leave anything to be remembered by.

I often think of this song when I'm out on a backroad looking at old tumble-down houses and closed country stores, and old homeplaces with a Benz or BMW parked out front next to a beat-up farm truck with tractors and farm equipment out back. Then you run up on a new development subdivided from an old farm that the heirs didn't want or care about their family's legacy, and took the money and ran.

The common years were good, and probably a lot better than we remember them.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 30th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Oldsdruid

especially when the bag boy put it under the canned goods
Oh lord- my Mama would get hostile if a bagboy mashed her bread. One of my best friends bagged groceries at Winn Dixie and made the mistake of mashing her bread once. This boy had eaten off our table, spent many nights in our house, worked 'baccer and melon fields with us and was nigh onto a brother, but she laid him out right in that grocery store. Embarrassed the hell out of me and him both.

20 years later he went by to see her and asked if she remembered that, and she told him she did, and if he mashed her bread again she would do it again!
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:33 AM

I made $1.25 per hr. as a bag boy at a very small Kroger back in the early 60's plus tips. Only my smart mouth wasn't very helpful in the tip department.

" Mam, do you want your eggs on the bottom so they won't fall out?"

"Do you want your eggs on the bottom so when they break, they won't get all over everything?"

Would you like your broom in a bag or are you going to ride it home?"
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:14 AM

Mom always made our bread. UMM smell of homemade bread comming home from school meant I would get fried bread for a treat with butter and jam, Man I can tast it if I close my eyes for a second. $1.25 was big money bought my 51 chev coup with first $95.00 made bagging at a store.
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Past Administrator

I know people that still bake bread at home, Jesse's wife does often.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM

Something reminded me of this day

Joe South wrote a song titled “Don’t it make ya want to go home.”

But there's a six-lane highway down by the creek
Where I went skinny dippin' as a child
And a drive-in show where the meadow used to grow
And the strawberries used to grow wild
There's a drag strip down by the riverside
Where my grandma's cow used to graze
Now the grass don't grow and the river don't flow
Like it did in my childhood days

AJC article
On March 2, 1969, at Yellow River Dragstrip in Covington, Georgia Huston Platt was in the Twister racing Frank Oglesby on a narrow, sandy track. Fans crowded to within a few feet of the track to get a better view of the cars.
Witnesses said one of those fans reached onto the track [through a 4x4 hog wirefence I might add] to retrieve a beer can just as Platt deployed his parachute to slow his car. The opened parachute swept up the man, killing him instantly.
The weight of the victim against the parachute yanked Platt's car into the spectator area. Twelve people died, and more than 40 more were injured. It remains the worst racing disaster on U.S. soil.
Investigators determined that unsafe track conditions were to blame. Racing, as it has done throughout history, had outrun the safety measures of the day. But the incident led to sweeping safety reforms in all types of motorsports.
"It was going to happen," Platt said. "It was just a matter of when and where. There wasn't a track in 10 states that was qualified

Fortunately for this spectator, we couldn’t afford the ticket price to get in the big event, We were watching from a hill in a cow pasture on the other side of I-20 East looking across the Interstate straight down the track. From our vantage point, it looked like a hugh explosion with pieces of cars going everywhere. We had no idea what had really happened..

Later, I recall people were hauling ingured people out of the track to get on I-20 in the backs of pickup trucks to rush them to hospitals in several nearby towns including Atlanta 25 miles away.

Truly a tragic day in racing.
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:38 PM

I know people that still bake bread at home, Jesse's wife does often.
Store bought bread is overpriced and disgusting. It is like eating something the consistency of tooth paste that tastes like air!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM

At school we used to take the Wonder bread squish it up into little ***** and throw it at each other. It would be hard as a rock and would stick to the lunch room walls. Grade school was the time and place.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM

Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

I'm not old enough to know about this stuff, but here it is:

¾ Race
Full Race
Full house
Full Blown

Norm
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Oldsdruid

Yah right. You probably invented some of that stuff... We know you had dinosaurs for pets!

Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
I'm not old enough to know about this stuff, but here it is:

¾ Race
Full Race
Full house
Full Blown

Norm
Ok, I'll try to play

3/4 race=mildly hot cam

Full race= really hot cam a la Nascar

Full house = 3-2's or poker hand like the Wild Bill was holding when he got shot in the back of the head [acres and eights]

Full blown= Blown [as in blower not "blown up"]engine usually on a dragster

What do I win?
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:08 AM

I think I was born in the wrong decade. Granted the 70's sucked but that psychedelic stuff ...I don't know. I sure love the iron though
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:06 AM

Before there were a thousand variations in cams, If ya wanted a cam, you would go to the cam shop [or catalog] like J.C. Whitney's and the choices were Stock, Street [sometimes referred to as 1/2 race] 3/4 race and full race.

Today these terms are rather archaic word relics with little or no meaning.

Like I've said before................way back when "party" was a noun.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM

Then there are things like;

6 Deuces
Tunnel Ram
6 barrel (Yes there is such a thing) Who made it?
Flat head
Slush box
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Before there were a thousand variations in cams, If ya wanted a cam, you would go to the cam shop [or catalog] like J.C. Whitney's and the choices were Stock, Street [sometimes referred to as 1/2 race] 3/4 race and full race.
I guess the term was outdated by the 70's. I remember getting my first "know what you're talking about" lecture in a Speed Shop when I was about 16. The term was still loosely used in around our small town.

My buddy's older brother had a 66 Chevlle with a hot 396, 4 speed, 4.11 gears & bench seat. He always refered to the cam as a 3/4 worn down to a 1/2. Someone would ask; "Is that a full race cam?" He'd answer; "Naw, it's a 3/4 worn down to a 1/2" I'm still hoping to get to use that line, someday. Oh, the cam card hung from his rearview mirror. ??? Might have been a local thing. Or just something he & his buddies did.

Don
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
........ We know you had dinosaurs for pets!
I should not have been drinking my Ovaltine when I read that. Much of it wound up on my keyboard.

Norm
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:03 AM

........ What do I win?
Next time I talk to her, I'll ask my granny if your answers are correct.

Norm
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Then there are things like;

6 Deuces
Tunnel Ram
6 barrel (Yes there is such a thing) Who made it?
Flat head
Slush box
Since no one else wants to take a stab at these, I'll give it a try.

6 Deuces- six two barrel carbs

Tunnel Ram- an intake manifold designed to give gearheads something else to argue about

6 barrel (Yes there is such a thing) Who made it?- ain't got a clue but I will venture a guess it was an aircraft carb.

Flat head- older engine style with valves in the block next to cylinder [also lawnmowers and Harleys]

Slush box-automatic tranny
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM

Next time I talk to her, I'll ask my granny if your answers are correct.

Norm
Great can we quote her?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beverly-hillbillies.jpg (7.2 KB, 20 views)
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM

........ 6 barrel (Yes there is such a thing) Who made it? ........
3 Holley 2 barrels = 6 barrels.

Ford used "Six Barrel Carburetor" to market their 3-2 setup, as the name "Tri-Power" had already been taken, by Pontiac.

At least, that's what my Granny told me.

Norm
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

After reading this entire thread, I can't help but wonder what amusing things I'll have to reminisce about 40 years from now. I'm only 26 & I already find myself amused & frequently irritated about the way youth culture is shaping up today.

I've always loved the muscle cars & the muscle car era(at least as much as I could without actually experiencing it). So this thread may not be a walk down memory lane for me, but it sure adds some character to the cars that I have.

I know this is an Olds forum, but I wonder if any of you guys have some memories of one of these.

That was my last project before the current Olds.
Attached Images
IMG_9616small.jpg (47.3 KB, 22 views)
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM

3 Holley 2 barrels = 6 barrels.

Ford used "Six Barrel Carburetor" to market their 3-2 setup, as the name "Tri-Power" had already been taken, by Pontiac.

At least, that's what my Granny told me.

Norm
Norm your right, you win the Kupi-doll
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

I remember those, we used to get them as prizes at the carnival.
Attached Images
331609765_6b6f2941ba.jpg (85.3 KB, 9 views)
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by smcurro
and I somehow ended up with seven girls in my cutlass...
I wish I had that problem...
Of course I would even be happy with just one!
Love this thread...
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by smcurro
hmm...I somehow ended up with seven girls in my cutlass...
That's what Vista Cruisers are for, may I borrow 3
P-l-e-a-s-e

I think one per row of seats in my Vista would make your Cutlass more commodious. You could still have 3 in the back and one in the "death Seat"

After all, it's nice to share with your old, Olds pals.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM

You guys aren’t going to believe this but yesterday I spoke with the guy who supervised the disinterment of the J.P. Richardson. They were going to have to move him to a cemetery that would allow a statue at his grave and his family wanted some questions answered.

If you have to ask, who is J.P.Richardson, ya probably don’t know who D.B.Cooper is either.
Attached Images
big bopper.jpg (27.6 KB, 12 views)
DBCooper.jpg (11.5 KB, 22 views)
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Past Administrator

I thought that was all settled last year. After the Guy checked out his body he said definitely the Bopper died upon impact, fractures all over the body. In my opinion Buddy Holly was a greater loss to music, as a songwriter and performer he outshined the Big Bopper even though J.P. wrote some good western songs, I didn't care too much for his rock-n-roll stuff. D.B. Copper's stash is still out there someplace, or at least most of it, I think there is some guy that is trying to track it down, he thinks it is in the river bed someplace up river from where they found that small portion of it a few years ago.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I thought that was all settled last year. After the Guy checked out his body he said definitely the Bopper died upon impact, fractures all over the body.
Yes, it was only I had never spoken to the forensic guru until just the other day. From what he said, there was a rumor that foul play was involved because their was a pistol found at the crash site [evidently Buddy Holly's that got thrown from the plane.] And The Big Bopper was also outside the plane. I believe the son wanted to put the rumors to bed once and for all.

Oldsguy-I think you will enjoy this one "The Day the Music Died"

VERY POWERFUL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyGZ64J9yg

Last edited by Jamesbo; August 6th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ijasond
I know this is an Olds forum, but I wonder if any of you guys have some memories of one of these.
Not those specifically, but when I was a little shaver in the early 50's there was a day camp that would pick up kids at their home every morning and return them every afternoon.

They hired masochist to haul a bunch of screaming kids around in one of several camp owned vans/pannel trucks with glass above the rear area and barn doors.

Believe it or not a dozen or more kids sat on a "custom" wooden bench arrangement that was bolted together.The benches went around the peremeter of the rear of the truck and had additional wooden seating crossing the middle and the rear of the peremeter board seats. Of course there were no seat belts.

One quickly learned not to hang on to the back on the wooden bench seat when the truck went around a curve, because the whole wooden seating thing slid around a little in the rear and it would pinch the dog poop out of tiny fingers.

I find myself amazed at the length some modern parents take to protect their children from learning anything.

My mother would say once and only once, "Don't touch that, it's hot." Guess what? After a few burns I started listening to her.

So when she said, "Don't put that paper clip in the electrical outlet." I thought, maybe she knows something I don't know.
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM

All of the kids in the neighborhood plus 1/2 dozen dogs to go to the lake jump in the back of one of the dads pickups, had a ball, old Hudson hood pulled behind the tractor in the snow, jump from the rafters in to the hay mow, can't remember anyone getting more the a little banged up, Oh forgot "hookie bobbin" behind the school bus in the snow. Never happen these days how do you get hurt playing games on a computer.
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM

...how do you get hurt playing games on a computer.
By being one of the unfortunate souls who had an exploding sony battery in their laptop...

I would rather be hurt by doing something that was my own dumb fault. And if it weren't for these things, my life would be quite boring to talk about...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 8th, 2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM

16 out of twenty... not bad for a kid who was born in 71. Oh yeah I'm too old to be trusted aren't I?
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Past Administrator

...Oldsguy-I think you will enjoy this one "The Day the Music Died"

VERY POWERFUL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyGZ64J9yg
Yes very! I teared up a bit watching it, was aware of most of the symbols and what they represented but did miss a few. Very good production.
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

American Pie, did they play it enough back then? How can you drink "whiskey and rye"? rye is a type of whiskey. Thats like saying drinking Budweiser and beer, always wondered about that.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 10th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Dear ole dad

So one day "Dear ole Dad" says to me.

"Here, give this back to your girl friend." As he hands me a small piece of chewed up mangled gold wire.

"And tell her not to throw her ear rings on the dash again. They got down inside the defrost vent on the dash and into the blower motor."

Next time you go to the Drive in, take your own car not your mother's. [Deuce and a quarter]

Next time, when you're in the throws of passion, you can tear up your own car.

Get it? Got it? Good!
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM

My moms car was a 59 Plymouth 9 passenger station wagon. Wasn't allowed to drive it for obvious reasons. Dad told me he was young once too. 51 Chev had a good bench seat front and back.

Quick Reply: Growing up in the 60's