Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Another one of those "rare" "100% authentic" cars!

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM

Yeah saw that too, so this time there is a letter from an employee who said he saw auto 442's special order back in the day. Also a window sticker showing the B09 option and hand written special order on it but I dont see anything about an auto trans....so I am still doubtful that it came with an auto from the factory. Some of the "restoration is Mickey Mouse...... not a 30 G car in my opinion but to some 30G's is pocket change.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

Because there is a market for buyers that want all original and Mecum and Barrett Jackson
have capitalized on this market. They've shown the kind of $$$ you can rake in from clones,
lies, and deceit. Now everyone and their mother is scrambling to swap VIN's, rebuild cars,
change paperwork, etc etc etc.

Why be honest when there's tons of fools dumping insane amounts of $$$$ on a classic ??
Big $$$ always attracts hustlers looking for their next big score. Just the way the world is.
It's business.

all of that has been going on long before barrett jackson
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:32 PM

I'm kinda coming in at the end, but I guess I'll add my .02$ It is VERY suspicious (to me) that the PERTINENT info has dissapeared from the window sticker that has been presented---no V.I.N., no selling dealer, no colors, etc. I'm not saying the WINDOW STICKER isn't REAL, I'm just saying it's a stretch to believe it goes to this car. The letter from the retiree has a light approach to say what the owner wanted to hear. I absolutely know for a FACT weird stuff happened (I am a LOOOOONG time Olds dealer and my family has been involved in the Oldsmobile business (what's left of it) for over three generations) but this one pegs my BS meter. The letter from the Olds Historical Ssociety is also for a different car entirely and only deciphers obvious things that that would be true to a '64 442 ---NOT this car. If this car WAS (IS) the real thing, it would seem to me that the original owner would have kept more docs than just a torn window sticker. The P-O-P isn't clearly legible in the pictures provided so I can't place any judgement on it. The car (IF IT IS REAL) would have had to had more than one string be pulled in order to have been built and in my opinion, would have had a paper trail associated with it. Truth sometimes IS stranger than fiction, but more of a concrete explanation and ROCK-SOLID documentation is needed to make me a believer. Until next time..... Dave.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm not aware of any 64s with an external breather connection to the air cleaner snorkel,
Maybe i misunderstand .... here is an original 64

CIMG0696.jpg
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM
"me somebody" site member

I assumed Joe_P was refering to 64 442s...
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Banned

i see that car being relisted unless the seller found an idiot for a buyer
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM

IT'S BACK.....................................
Also have to love the "proof" he offers is an email from a line boss who cannot tell him the car is a 442, a window sticker with huge chunks missing where vital info is and an illegible photo of a protecto plate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item43a7584854

Last edited by Bayou Olds; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Certifiable car addict...

I'm not here to dispute the car or it's authenticity, HOWEVER...

The thing that strikes me as the most fishy part of this story is the email address.

The letter claims to have been from a line boss employed by GM from '59-'71, and yet the email address is:

gmlineboss@aol.com

There would have had to be at least 20 years between his end of employment with GM in that capacity (according to the letter itself) and the beginnings of the internet and widespread use of email address and then AOL.

Something tells me he would not have used that address to sign up for his personal email after such a long interim. I could be wrong, but think about your interests from 20+ years ago. Are they still relevant enough today to do something like this? Sure, he could have hung onto that mindset long after retirement. Unlikely, but possible.

That REALLY strikes me as extremely far-fetched.

Even if the letter were genuine, USUALLY most people would have the decency to remove someone else's email address from such a public posting and not give access to it to everyone on the planet to contact this guy asking all sorts of silly questions without his permission. Instead, the seller decided to use what sounds like an "authentic" address for someone in that position, but to me it screams fake when used this way.

It is a very nice looking car. I'd love to have it and drive the wheels off it, but at that price, there's no way I'd drop the kind of cash he was asking for it even if I could afford it.

just my 2cents.

-Jeff

AOL timeline here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052303551.html
(Just cause I'm a computer nerd in addition to a car nerd!)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM

I went to this site:

http://my-addr.com/free-email-verifi....com&x=13&y=11

It shows the address is real.

But is it legit? We still don't know. Does the owner have an aol address?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM

I actually sent a nice email to that address asking if it was a legit address, and that I was not a spammer, just checking as I found it online somewhere and wondered about the authenticity. It didn't bounce, so I'll see if I get a response. If I do, I'll just say I had some questions about an older GM I'm looking at myself and see if he's got any information that may be of assistance to me.

-Jeff
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Right you are, Jeff.

- Eric
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru

(Just cause I'm a computer nerd in addition to a car nerd!)
computer NERD and car DORK, please don't mix those up
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:45 AM

Even if the e-mail address is real, the guy states he CANNOT state that the car in question is a 442.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
Even if the e-mail address is real, the guy states he CANNOT state that the car in question is a 442.
I had no plans about asking anything about that car. I was more interested in seeing if there's a live body at the other end that actually worked that job. I was going to chat with him about other vehicles if he's a real person and this isn't a sham, and he's amicable to sharing any information.

I was just curious if this were indeed someone that would love to chat about old cars & life in general. I love hearing stories and fun old insider information of any kind, providing it's from a reliable source, and not a total farce.

-Jeff
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM

Have at it. I hope the guy is real and has some neat info. Please let us know if he is real and his creds are factual. He would have to have some cool stories if they are. It is ashame that his name is drug into what appears to be a misrepresentation of a vehicle I think we would all love to own.......if it were the real deal.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM

Giving it my best shot. No answer as of yet, but from the date in the letter shown, and the metion of surgery in the near future, I didn't expect a timely response. Just biding my time and waiting to see what happens.

I've worked customer service for years, so I know how to approach people and talk to them from a "cold call" standpoint, as I have to do it all the time. usually with irate customers, so I have no problems trying to make a new friend as long as we have some fun common ground to chat about

-Jeff
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM

I see reserve was met and winning bid at 30,025.00 Wow!!!! We'll see if it is listed again in another two weeks to see if this guy was bidding on his own.