Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 442 Hardtop W-30

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2023, 08:20 AM

1970 442 Hardtop W-30

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...omments-anchor

on BaT

Old May 16th, 2023, 08:51 AM

This is the one thats been sitting in the Chevy dealer showroom in Ohio. Been for sale for quite some time
Old May 16th, 2023, 09:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

So here's a question. Aren't these broadcast cards carbons that are printed at the same time? Why are the fonts different, specifically on the "1" and the "3"?

Old May 16th, 2023, 10:34 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Joe, your powers of observation never cease to amaze me. I never would have noticed that.
Old May 16th, 2023, 11:07 AM

So is the originality of the W-30 package option coming into question?

He seems to have the documentation and Olds Club of America never brought up the possibility of it being a "fake" W-30.

Even with the "3" looking funky. The "W" and "0" look identical as does the VIN

Old May 16th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pettrix
So is the originality of the W-30 package option coming into question?

He seems to have the documentation and Olds Club of America never brought up the possibility of it being a "fake" W-30.

Even with the "3" looking funky. The "W" and "0" look identical as does the VIN
Actually my question was more about why they would be different. Clearly they didn't come from the same printer. I just assumed they were all printed at the same time on the same machine.
Old May 16th, 2023, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually my question was more about why they would be different. Clearly they didn't come from the same printer. I just assumed they were all printed at the same time on the same machine.
Not sure but my guess would be that they had multiple printers and the "3" character was funky on the one printer and not on the other. I could see multiple printers on the assembly line for the workers.

Just like it was mentioned in the comments on BaT. The Olds judges docked him points for the "4" being not aligned but the holes were drilled from the factory so the misalignment came that way from the factory. People forget these cars had door gap issues, paint issues, fit & finish issues, quality control issues, that were all over the place. Stripes were crooked and sometimes badging was not perfect. Yet they docked him points for something that was 100% factory. I am not a fan of those types of show judging as these types of issues are just ridiculous.
Old May 16th, 2023, 01:50 PM

That is a good catch and I never noticed the difference in the "3" font. I found the darker build sheet in the rear passenger footwell behind the drivers seat, halfway up the transmission tunnel. It was stuck to the jute backing of the original carpet and subjected to the elements which is why it is darker colored. The lighter colored build sheet came from behind the plastic rear cover of the passenger seat. Perhaps the seat card was printed at a different location using a different printer? I think pettrix's theory makes sense. But, again, the car is a real W-30.
Old May 16th, 2023, 03:05 PM

The second example of the "droopy" 3 matches what's on my 70 W-30 Broadcast card. Not sure why the two are different. Both examples above look legit.
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:20 PM

Those aren't carbons. You do not use a duplicate for a broadcast card, as you only need the information once. These cards were shopping lists for assembly guys who would pick from flowracks what the car wanted as the carrier rolled by and bolt it on. Each guy would look at his one letter in one spot for his item.

That being said, remember how these cars are sub-assemblies. I think the seats were made in house. If so, there would be a printer there, but there also was one at the beginning of the body line as it came from paint. Those two cards would travel with their sub assemblies and would end up in the same spot. I think my company goes through 20 or so sheets of paper per vehicle.
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:34 PM

So here's a question. Aren't these broadcast cards carbons that are printed at the same time? Why are the fonts different, specifically on the "1" and the "3"?

Hell of a catch JP..
Old May 17th, 2023, 08:13 AM

Someone on BaT claimed the Olds W-25 fiberglass hood was originally made by Ford Motor Company. Is that true?

Old May 18th, 2023, 08:09 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

It's no different than the '3' being stamped differently on the blocks in '70. Certain nuances occurred.
Old May 18th, 2023, 08:12 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Originally Posted by pettrix
Not sure but my guess would be that they had multiple printers and the "3" character was funky on the one printer and not on the other. I could see multiple printers on the assembly line for the workers.

Just like it was mentioned in the comments on BaT. The Olds judges docked him points for the "4" being not aligned but the holes were drilled from the factory so the misalignment came that way from the factory. People forget these cars had door gap issues, paint issues, fit & finish issues, quality control issues, that were all over the place. Stripes were crooked and sometimes badging was not perfect. Yet they docked him points for something that was 100% factory. I am not a fan of those types of show judging as these types of issues are just ridiculous.
I'd push back a little bit on that. I'd chalk that deduction up to an inexperienced volunteer (yes, they're volunteers!) judge. When a car is at this level, the judging team typically gets a little more granular and starts seeking out items. Unfortunately, it happens too often. I personally wouldn't make a deduction for that, however, I'd closely examine the hood tooth itself to inspect whether it was a 442 factory piece or an NOS "tooth" with the holes not being punched out.
Old May 18th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
It's no different than the '3' being stamped differently on the blocks in '70. Certain nuances occurred.
Actually it's very different. To use your analogy, it would be like a block stamped with two different "3" fonts on the same block. In this case, both cards are for one car. If different printers were used at different points on the line, then it makes sense. I just assumed one printer was used for the cards for a given car. Clearly that is not the case.
Old May 18th, 2023, 08:21 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Actually it's very different. To use your analogy, it would be like a block stamped with two different "3" fonts on the same block. In this case, both cards are for one car. If different printers were used at different points on the line, then it makes sense. I just assumed one printer was used for the cards for a given car. Clearly that is not the case.
Of course different printers were used on the line. Did you think they changed the ink color after each card was printed?