Best way to move the master cylinder to the car after bench bleeding

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2023, 04:51 PM

Best way to move the master cylinder to the car after bench bleeding

I plan to use one of the kits with plastic tubes to bench bleed my new master cylinder. What's the best way to move the new master cylinder to the car after bench bleeding with out making a mess? Do you put the plastic plugs that came with the cylinder back in? Do you connect the plugs that came with the bleeding kit together with one of the tubes? Once it's in the car, what's the best way to catch the drips when you attach the lines? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 17th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just did this about two weeks ago on my 75 Olds. After you have finished bench bleeding put the plugs that came with it back in before you take it out of the vise. Be sure and have a fender cover so you don't run the chance of dripping any brake fluid on the fender. Put some shop towels under the master cylinder to catch any drip. It is doubtful you will be able to do this without getting a little drip which you can wipe up. You just don't want it on painted surfaces since brake fluid is a good paint remover.
Old April 17th, 2023, 06:31 PM

You also don't need to fill it to the brim to bench bleed. Just keep enough fluid in it to keep the hoses from the kit submerged on both strokes. You don't want to incorporate air back into the MC while you are trying to bleed it.
Old April 17th, 2023, 08:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Great point about not overfilling the master cylinder. It is going to be tilted when you put it on the car, so if it is too full, fluid will spill out the top. I put about 3/4" in when I bench bled it and then topped it off after it was installed.
Old April 18th, 2023, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Be sure and have a fender cover so you don't run the chance of dripping any brake fluid on the fender. Put some shop towels under the master cylinder to catch any drip.
^^^THIS^^^

Brake fluid is quite caustic. Make sure you wear rubber gloves too when bleeding the MC.
Old April 18th, 2023, 06:20 AM

Thanks guys, this helps.