69 delta drop spindles? rotors? other questions

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM

69 delta drop spindles? rotors? other questions

Hello. Im new around here and first time posting a question looking for an answer. I came across a 69 delta 88 2door hard top when i was 15, just before getting my license. I really didnt care much about the running gear as long as it moved.

7 years later, more mechanically and car inclined, its time to get it road worthy. She needs tons of work, but now i have time and LITTLE money to throw at it.

my first point of attack is front end, everything from tie rods to arm bushings. Id like to put some drop spindles on it, but starting to find out that might be rather hard.

So I was wondering if there is a b-body veichle out there that would inter-change with the olds with the same 5 on 5 bolt pattern that has a market for drop spindles and rotors. I would like to retain original control arms, on account EVERYTHING needs addressing on her, and limited bankroll. This is just the tip of the iceburg, and im taking it project to project untill shes rollin the right way!

Im just a guy in a garage with a wrench looking for some help!
Thanks for your time, and ill try to get some pics of pulled and built rocket350 and turbo400 trans.

Last edited by 69oldsdelta88; December 2nd, 2008 at 12:35 AM. Reason: im a dumbass and didnt proof read
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM

69 Deltas are pretty cars. We look forward to seeing pics. Unfortunately, rotors for late 60s B bodies are near impossible to come by if you just want to refurbish the original parts. If you switched to components from another car you would have to find a car with rear steer spindles and steering components. The B and C body didn't change to front steer until 71.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the helping word. Next lead is a rear steer b-body with rotors and aftermarket parts.

The reason for converting is because lets face it, its like trying to stop an elephant on wheels with drums on all 4 corners. I would also like to lower it a couple and keep geometry up front. Im hoping there is a combo out there that might work.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69oldsdelta88
Thanks for the helping word. Next lead is a rear steer b-body with rotors and aftermarket parts.

The reason for converting is because lets face it, its like trying to stop an elephant on wheels with drums on all 4 corners. I would also like to lower it a couple and keep geometry up front. Im hoping there is a combo out there that might work.
Unfortunately, the factory disc brake parts for your car were rare when the cars were new and are very difficult to find now. Until just recently replacement rotors were no available. There may be a couple of aftermarket disc conversions out there. Don't hold your breath on dropped spindles and the Chevy parts typically are different for the 65-70 cars. 71-up parts are completely different and do not interchange.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:58 AM

like trying to stop an elephant on wheels with drums on all 4 corners
Just make sure your drums are in good condition and you should be fine.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM

Yeah, alright. I jsut might end up rebuilding the complete drum system. I wanted to have the exceptionally good braking power, something she never had. Plus discs just look better! I saw a few months back on Musclecar on the Powerblock on spike, a project car where they lowered the front end by cutting and adding material to lower coil mount on the lower control arm, then plating the arm. anybody herd of this? do you know if it Retains most, if any of the origional steering geometry? Any ideas to get it to tuck the 18s up front a little?

I lifted a pick up a while ago and after the lift installed and the big new meets on the shinny new wheels, found out it couldnt be alligned. big time bummer, and had to switch types of lift. pain in the ***, tahts why im taking the time to ask about this suspension job.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69oldsdelta88
Yeah, alright. I jsut might end up rebuilding the complete drum system. I wanted to have the exceptionally good braking power, something she never had. Plus discs just look better! I saw a few months back on Musclecar on the Powerblock on spike, a project car where they lowered the front end by cutting and adding material to lower coil mount on the lower control arm, then plating the arm. anybody herd of this? do you know if it Retains most, if any of the origional steering geometry? Any ideas to get it to tuck the 18s up front a little?

I lifted a pick up a while ago and after the lift installed and the big new meets on the shinny new wheels, found out it couldnt be alligned. big time bummer, and had to switch types of lift. pain in the ***, tahts why im taking the time to ask about this suspension job.
As you're painfully found out, making radical changes to stock suspension geometry can lead to expensive problems. Raising or lowering the car an inch or so is usually within the adjustment capability, but more than that can lead to safety and handling problems if you don't know what you're doing.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM

If you have your heart set on lowering your car you might consider an air ride suspension. There are kits out there that allow you to adjust the ride height of your car using an air compressor in the trunk.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM

Ive considered baggin it in the past and doin the whole lowrider seen. But as years pass, my mental image of the car has changed dramaticly. Now im leanin toward the retro-mod style, making her more hot rod and keeping the comfort (caddilac sedan leather, electric, huuuuugs your butt) that she was made for. Basicly I want to make it driveable and be able to rod it (like i dont already?)
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM

Check out
http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=1

They might have a disc brake conversion that will fit your car.
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM

front disc brake kit

depending on your budget you can go with ssbc brakes . I put the link to the catalog on here, I have disc brakes and cant drive mine cause we need new rotors.

http://www.ssbrakes.com/content/imag...59_web_med.pdf