Disc spindles interchangable with drum spindles?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM

Disc spindles interchangable with drum spindles?

Hi folks!
Well, it's time to get the Cutlass ready for cruising season and we've wanted to do a disc-swap for some time. I've had other projects keeping me busy and one of them is a "new to me" 1970 Firebird that we are going to go hog-wild on!
Here is the question... The firebird has all new brake components on it - rotors, seals, bearings, calipers, pads, hoses, master cylinder/booster and refurbished spindles. The 1972 Cutlass has power brakes, uses drums all around and is all original. I know later Cutlass and Firebirds used the same spindle, could the spindle assemblies from the Firebird be swapped over to the Cutlass? Are the a-arms and ball joints different on OEM disc cars?
This would be a pretty convenient way to swap them on the Cutlass since the Firebird is getting the whole C6 conversion!
Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM

You can use your Cutlass drum spindles with the kit from www.scarebird.com to convert to front disc.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Murco
Hi folks!
Well, it's time to get the Cutlass ready for cruising season and we've wanted to do a disc-swap for some time. I've had other projects keeping me busy and one of them is a "new to me" 1970 Firebird that we are going to go hog-wild on!
Here is the question... The firebird has all new brake components on it - rotors, seals, bearings, calipers, pads, hoses, master cylinder/booster and refurbished spindles. The 1972 Cutlass has power brakes, uses drums all around and is all original. I know later Cutlass and Firebirds used the same spindle, could the spindle assemblies from the Firebird be swapped over to the Cutlass? Are the a-arms and ball joints different on OEM disc cars?
This would be a pretty convenient way to swap them on the Cutlass since the Firebird is getting the whole C6 conversion!
Thanks!
Sorry, but you've got your model years confused. Spindles from the 64-72 A-body cars interchange with FIRST GEN (1967-69) F-body spindles (and 1968-74 X-body spindles). The second gen F-body (1970-1981) uses completely different spindles with different ball joint tapers and integral steering arms that are not in the correct place to give proper steering geometry on an A-body. Once again, if this swap were that easy, the cost of repro A-body disc brake spindles would be a lot lower.