Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

flame spraying (zinc sprying) for rustproofing?

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Olds Omega

flame spraying (zinc sprying) for rustproofing?

Any thoughts on the topic using flame spraying(zinc spraying) for rustproofing?
Just found this topic here - Metallisation

When I was today with the shop owner in discussion about sandblasting the body and how I plan to go ahead, he was asking me why not flame/zinc spraying.

He has between 10 and 15 oldy bodies in his shop every year and some pro mechanics let their cars zinc spraying. He is currently working on a Mercedes 300 SL

So he suggested to sandblast the body, to all the necessary bodywork, another sandblasting and than zinc spraying the complete body and front frame as well rear end. and than the paint job.

The money he asks for isn't that bad, but I never thought about this possibility.

I was more on: sandblasting, spray primer, body work, full paint job.

now i'm
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Apparently, I missed that thread. IMHO this is the product you should use for rust proofing the bottom and frame of your Olds.

https://www.por15.com/POR-15supregsu...ating_p_8.html

I've used POR-15 before and it is a great product. There's no way your car will suffer from rust in your lifetime if you use POR-15.
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:45 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I didnt have much luck using POR on a truck. I used the POR acid cleaner too. Maybe I just didnt do it right? It just peeled off in chunks a year down the line.
IMO the best bang is powder coating. Durable and long lasting. But with any method getting inside the frame is key. Dipping?
Be sure to have it checked for straightness before doing any finish.
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by exotec
Any thoughts on the topic using flame spraying(zinc spraying) for rustproofing?
In a former life, we did extensive construction and repair work for USA World Police. On small islands in the ocean, such as Shemya, Kwajalein, and Ascension, nothing worked better than spray zinc over sandblasted white metal. We'd put up to 1/8" of zinc on steel or iron assemblies that were most at risk of corrosion. Then we didn't need to come back for 10 years.

It's overkill for our cars, except in places prone to rust such as the base of the windshield or the bottom of the front fender.

Also be careful about powder coat. We did not use it because it lifted away from the base metal and accelerated rust by trapping the salt between the powder coat and the metal. Epoxy paint was better than powder coat on those islands.

We never used anything like POR, so I can't comment on that, although I recently used it on my own frame.
Old March 21st, 2019, 07:28 AM
Olds Omega

Originally Posted by VC455
In a former life, we did extensive construction and repair work for USA World Police. On small islands in the ocean, such as Shemya, Kwajalein, and Ascension, nothing worked better than spray zinc over sandblasted white metal. We'd put up to 1/8" of zinc on steel or iron assemblies that were most at risk of corrosion. Then we didn't need to come back for 10 years.

It's overkill for our cars, except in places prone to rust such as the base of the windshield or the bottom of the front fender.

Also be careful about powder coat. We did not use it because it lifted away from the base metal and accelerated rust by trapping the salt between the powder coat and the metal. Epoxy paint was better than powder coat on those islands.

We never used anything like POR, so I can't comment on that, although I recently used it on my own frame.
ok, this sounds like somewhat exaggerated if the car will run in future only on dry roads in austria!

thank you all for response!
Old March 21st, 2019, 07:38 PM

Can you guys fill me in on this? What is flame/zinc spraying?
Old March 21st, 2019, 08:10 PM

Click on the link in post #1
Old March 21st, 2019, 09:45 PM

A friend of mine uses SKYCO OSPHO. He swears by them. I haven't use it yet.