Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Door skin options

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2019, 03:21 PM

Door skin options

1970-72 cutlass/442
Apparently production on the reproduction door skins and also the lower reproduction patch skin has been discontinued.
I don't need a whole skin even but I was thinking of a lower patch to work with. No matter who I call, nobody has them.
What are some options besides rust free doors? Is fabrication possible? I was thinking the Buick skylark lower section may be the same?
What would you guys do?
Old January 15th, 2019, 03:31 PM

Would a 4 door have a large enough piece if you just need a patch of doorskin?
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:54 PM

I have some rust on the bottom edge pretty much the whole way. I was thinking of a piece maybe a couple inches high across the bottom on a two door. Thx tho
Old January 15th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Have you called the warehouses . Like parts place or tamraz. I bought door skins for my 72 2 years ago. They actually where not bad. gauge was a little thinner but not a deal breaker for me.

Where is the door needing repair. A picture is always helpful. As a bodyman anything is for the most part repairable it just comes down the skill , time, patience and or funds. You can always eliminate one of those factors but will have to lean on one more so than the other depending where you stand haha.
Old January 16th, 2019, 04:22 AM

Thx, your thread on door skin replacement kind of motivated me I first contacted Tamraz and they told me parts have been discontinued so Ive been looking at options. The skins are pretty good other than some rust on bottom edge but no holes. Rust on the fold and underneath the fold is what I want to address. If I unfold the bottom edge to expose the rust I pretty much destroy that edge so I wanted to possibly cut it out, media blast any rust and replace with a new piece. I realize with the right metal tools (wheels, brakes) and skill this could be done but its critical door gap and possible contour depending on how far up. It seems pretty flat a couple inched up then starts to curve so Im thinking if I stay below the contour, it will be easier. Getting the fold right will be the challenge for me. I thought it may be best to have a replacement to work with rather than a complete fabrication. This will be a learning process either way.

Last edited by scrappie; January 16th, 2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old January 16th, 2019, 05:24 AM

It's kind of the perfect spot to learn. If it's in ok shape id say repair it and have fun learning. Keep your initial cuts as small as possible . Make patch templates from thin posterboard or even poster cards . There is a couple of ways to make a home made break Google will yeild tons of results .
Old January 16th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Jegs is showing a LH and RH door skin for 325 a pop. About 75 per piece more than the parts place.
Old January 16th, 2019, 05:38 AM

Options. I haven't used any of these and not sure if these places have them but...Sherman Parts is showing lower repair - https://www.shermanparts.com/ecat/ba...***&year=1972; Goodmark whole door skin - https://www.goodmarkindustries.com/c...in-outer.aspx; lower repair - https://www.rustrepair.com/68-CUTLAS...R-647031L.HTM; Have you checked Fusick?
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Jegs out of stock, Goodmark out, Autobody specialties checked a bunch of places for me and they can't get either, I spoke to Fusick yesterday also and they can't get anything. Everywhere I check says discontinued with no further info.
Old January 16th, 2019, 07:25 AM

It showed in stock on my computer but then again i didnt add it to cart. Try patching it up keep it small.
Old May 24th, 2019, 05:54 AM
Car Nerd

Scrappie, I'm not sure if you are still looking for door skin patches or not, but www.millsupply.com just shipped me both sides for my '71 yesterday.

Matt
Old May 31st, 2019, 06:02 PM

Thx Matt, I did find some but good to know other resource