Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

1972 Cutlass Drivers Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2019, 07:29 AM

1972 Cutlass Drivers Door Problem

Hope someone can help with this. I am currently trying to align my gaps on the drivers side door. The top of the back of the door was down about 1/8 of an inch, all was going fine until I loosened the bolts that hold the hinge to the body so that I could lift the door. Problem is (2) of the bolts are stripped, someone had put a piece of steel wire into the holes to keep them tight. How can I fix this properly? I was going to use a thread insert kit to keep the same size bolts instead of drilling and tapping and putting a bigger bolt in. Any and all advice/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Ed
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 72oldspa
Hope someone can help with this. I am currently trying to align my gaps on the drivers side door. The top of the back of the door was down about 1/8 of an inch, all was going fine until I loosened the bolts that hold the hinge to the body so that I could lift the door. Problem is (2) of the bolts are stripped, someone had put a piece of steel wire into the holes to keep them tight. How can I fix this properly? I was going to use a thread insert kit to keep the same size bolts instead of drilling and tapping and putting a bigger bolt in. Any and all advice/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Ed
Short of going bigger (which you said wasn't an option for you) a helicoil is the only way.