Lazy convertible top

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:14 PM

Lazy convertible top

The convertible top on my 72 Cutlass goes up crooked. The right side goes up quite a bit before the left side goes up. After the top goes up about 6-8 inches the left side jumps up and evens out with the right and it travels the rest of the way up,and down even. I thought the left side cyl may be leaking internally so I replaced the cyl with a new one. Same result. I took both cylinders loose and operated them and they both start at the same time and go out at the same rate. This leads me to think that the top frame is binding. There are no visible bends or twists. By Lifting the top manually with the cylinders disconnected it feels loose and free from both sides. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:55 PM

Narrow it down

Can you switch all the hoses at the pump so the fluid that normally goes to the left side goes to the right? If it still acts the same it has to be in the top. Maybe the bushings or springs.if it changes it may be the pump or hoses. I took one apart and there are some ball bearings in there at may be stuck. Not much else in there. Looked it up on YouTube.

Last edited by Gary M; August 26th, 2016 at 05:01 PM.