Opinions of Paint Choice

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2010 | 11:11 AM

Opinions of Paint Choice

Hello everyone, I am planning out the paint for a 71 Cutlass Supreme Rocket 350. Its the 2 door coupe. So, I wanted to do a very nice paint combo. I can picture in my head, but I wanted to see your thoughts on it. Please feel free to give your comments.

First, the main color is going to be a very deep red. I am planning onm choosing a Chrysler color- the Tor Red found on the 71 Plymouth line. That covers 90% of the car. Now here is where I am trying something new. I want to paint the bumpers a high gloss black. Both front and rear bumpers. I will be using a very thick type paint, and want to achieve an extermely high gloss.

Thats the combination I am going with- plus the black interior.

Another idea was to do that, but also using the two scoops that run the lengh of the hood- paint them the same gloss black. That way its tied into the bumpers. I want it to look intentional, not cheap- but that is hard to do when painting a piece that looks best chrome.

Any thoughts.

PS: The wheels are going to be black 15" as well, with the chrome lugnuts and center cap to set them off. All pointed to tie everything together.
Old July 7th, 2010 | 11:36 AM
Registered

Welcome.

Speak of the devil, there was a recent post about the same deal.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...d-bumpers.html

In my opinion I think it looks like the owner of the car cheaped out and painted junk bumpers.
But I'm a factory stock type guy.
My GTO has a painted front bumper but it's Endura.

Be it ever so humble
There's no face like chrome.

Last edited by Bluevista; July 7th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old July 7th, 2010 | 11:53 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I like chrome bumpers. Black bumpers and black wheels on a car bring up images of 'Mad Max' to me. Body color looks good though on that generation of Cutlass.
Old July 7th, 2010 | 12:14 PM

if bumpers "look best chrome", why not follow your own feeling and leave them chrome. If I thought a car looked best black, why paint it yellow ? So you should paint it however you think looks best.

My own opinion is, paint it whatever color the factory painted it....and jazz it up under the hood.