A BODY TRUNK FLOOR REPLACEMENT

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM

A BODY TRUNK FLOOR REPLACEMENT

Just a question about the quality of aftermarket trunk floor panels...

Im looking for comments as to what you have used...the quality of the part and how it turned out.

I need to replace the left half on my 65 cutlass...just want something that looks correct and is not flimsy or thin...I used a 65 chevelle replacement about 15 years ago before they made olds stuff...pretty thin metal...
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Gary

I replaced my trunk and now in process of the front floor pans. The trunk pans were not that difficult to replace as the floor pans have been to me. The trunk pan came in 3 parts that I welded together and at the rear of the trunk I butt welded them. I have not even welded the brackets supports under them yet and I have actually stood up in them and worked in them,so the trunk seems very steady. I was pleased with the way the trunk turned out. I also replaced the drop down to the quarters also which I think is a must because it most likely is going to be more rustier than the trunk pans.Here is the link to a thread I put on the site

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-replaced.html
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by 442scotty
Just a question about the quality of aftermarket trunk floor panels...

Im looking for comments as to what you have used...the quality of the part and how it turned out.

I need to replace the left half on my 65 cutlass...just want something that looks correct and is not flimsy or thin...I used a 65 chevelle replacement about 15 years ago before they made olds stuff...pretty thin metal...
Its all the same Chinesium metal repackaged by all the vendors.
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:55 AM

I replaced the trunk in my 65 Cutlass convertible earlier this Spring. I used a 7 piece kit that I bought from Tamraz on Ebay. They sell both an American made and foreign made kit. The American one is around 100 bucks more. I went with the Americam one and had good results, but there are plenty of people that have done well with the foreign stuff as well.

I thought I might get away with just replacing one side when I started, but it soon became apparent that replacing the whole thing was the way to go.

If your trunk leaks at all, I would stay away from that spatter paint they sell for trunk interiors. It's water soluble even after it cures; I found out the hard way. I ended up sanding all that stuff out and using a hammer-finish paint instead.
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by f85mark
I replaced the Ball joint in my 65 Cutlass convertible earlier this Spring. I used a 7 piece kit that I bought from Tamraz on Ebay. They sell both an American made and foreign made kit. The American one is around 100 bucks more. I went with the Americam one and had good results, but there are plenty of people that have done well with the foreign stuff as well.

I thought I might get away with just replacing one side when I started, but it soon became apparent that replacing the whole thing was the way to go.

If your trunk leaks at all, I would stay away from that spatter paint they sell for trunk interiors. It's water soluble even after it cures; I found out the hard way. I ended up sanding all that stuff out and using a hammer-finish paint instead.
i think its a good decision sticking with the american brand..i use them too, and had no problems with it ever since..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; July 19th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.