Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Decided not to paint... Right choice?

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Decided not to paint... Right choice?

I know it's really a case by case person by person decision, but I wanted to see what everyone thinks. This car was stored in a garage from 1970 until recently (when we started work on it). I'm not looking for a show car by any means - purely a driver. Definitely going to redo the interior, but I think I'm going to leave the outside as-is. It isn't the original paint, unfortunately - it was repainted sometime in the mid 60s.

Old December 26th, 2014, 04:37 PM
72 Olds CS

If it were mine I would leave it as is, it looks solid w the cleaned up engine bay the exterior us very presentable but allows you the freedom to drive it with worry of road or other damage to your paint.
Old December 26th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think it looks fantastic and I love the look - even if it's a 4 door! Who cares that it doesn't have original paint? The patina of age on the repaint makes it look original IMO. Great job on the cleanup. Chrome and engine work is spectacular. I see you added an overflow bottle for the rad. Smart idea.

A fresh interior may tempt you to go with new paint.....

I see the heater blower motor is still not installed - work in progress on the heating system?
Old December 26th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If it were mine, I would probably repaint it one of these days. It really looks pretty decent and is a nice color. I would redo the interior like you mention. You did a very nice job on the engine. I just did mine a few months ago and it was not as bad as yours and was still a lot of work.

I am curious as to what the two blue lines on the right side are going to the carb. One other thing, is that an aluminum radiator?
Old December 26th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn,
I would bet that one of those lines is to a new fuel pump/filtering system and the second is for the vacuum to the Auto trans. If you look at the before picture those were steel lines.
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I think it looks fantastic and I love the look - even if it's a 4 door! Who cares that it doesn't have original paint? The patina of age on the repaint makes it look original IMO. Great job on the cleanup. Chrome and engine work is spectacular. I see you added an overflow bottle for the rad. Smart idea.

A fresh interior may tempt you to go with new paint.....

I see the heater blower motor is still not installed - work in progress on the heating system?
X2
Allan said it all, except, I would like to pay my very highest compliment for your detail work, outstanding!
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I think it looks good as is and agree with freshening up the interior a bit. If you want to paint it down the road, cross that bridge later.
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:42 PM

Looks great and I would not change a thing
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks y'all. It actually looks better in the pics than in does in person. It's a good "20 footer" right now, but I think it's gonna stay that way at least for a while. I do agree that getting the interior redone is probably going to make me want the paintwork done sooner, so we'll see. I've got 2 quotes on carpet, door panels, headliner, hatrack, and seat rebuilds, so the interior should match the engine bay soon!

Couple of answers - yes, I'm looking for a blower motor.. Doesn't have to be original, just something that fits and works.

It is an aluminum radiator, the original was too rotten to even think about reworking.

The mysterious blue hoses are actually fuel lines (in and return) for the EFI system.

I wasn't looking for "stock", but that is the original drivetrain, just converted to fuel injection, electronic ignition, and alternator, along with full dual exhaust. I cut the bottom off of the oil bath air cleaner so it sits down over a normal air filter element - I like the look of that breather.

Last edited by rctoyguy; December 26th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old December 26th, 2014, 07:03 PM
car guy

outstanding transformation
Old December 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would really appreciate the source for the radiator. It looks like it fits perfectly.

You had to have a lot of fun putting the duals on with the power steering. I know you can barely see the left side exhaust manifold. Nice work.
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:00 PM
same but different

I don't see anything wrong with what you have done to this car.

You have obviously enjoyed it, and done a very nice job.

I'll go for a ride any day.
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rctoyguy
yes, I'm looking for a blower motor.. Doesn't have to be original, just something that fits and works.
Have you checked DVAP (Desert Valley Auto Parts)? They likely have something of your model in their boneyard
I just checked their inventory and they have 5 of these 54 Eighty Eight sedans in their salvage yard. I would think at least one of them has the blower motor you're looking for.
Here's a link to that page.
DVAP 1954 Olds Salvage cars

They have an 800 number, email, and link info at the bottom of the page. Good luck with your search.
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:28 AM

Its an awesome looking Olds , good job .
Old December 27th, 2014, 07:15 AM

Great Job! Looks cool as is.

Do the interior like you said, if it makes you want to paint it later, go for it.

Meanwhile enjoy the cool ride!
Old December 27th, 2014, 07:36 AM

I like it the way it is as well. If your going to possibly paint in the future I would do the interior later so the metal interior can be painted to match.
Awesome job on the engine bay!

Mark
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM

I'm kinda a shiny type of guy so I would probably have it painted but probably not till the interior is done as others have suggested.

You have done wonders to that car, the engine bay is really looking good.It would be a shame to me not to have the outside looking as good as the inside, but its your car and money, enjoy it anyway way it ends up....Tedd
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM

Nice job on this car. I would drive it the way it is. You can ways paint it if the urge hits. I find that I gravitate to the cars that are more origional looking when going to the car shows. They are actually in the minority.
Old December 27th, 2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the link to DVAP - I will definitely check with them. I'm also looking for a passenger side mirror.

I'm 95% sure the radiator came from speedway. We did have to manufacture some filler panels for the width to work out - I'll be glad to provide more pictures of how we did it if wanted.
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks for the offer of the pictures on the radiator. I could see it fit well and now I know why. I really don't want to do any fabrication on mine. I am in the process of adding AC so I will probably have to add more cooling. I will try it first and if I need it I will probably just have my current radiator recored to a 4 core.
Old December 28th, 2014, 01:40 PM

Welcome to C.O. Look on eBay ( Vintage 50s -60s mirrors) they have both round head and rectangular that may fit. Larry
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Would the right side mirror from a 51-53 88/98 work? USA autoparts supply ( www.usapartssupply.com ) has them on page 44 of their catalogue. New parts
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think Fusick has repops. II believe that is where mine came from. I think the mirrors are the same on both sides.
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think Fusick has repops. II believe that is where mine came from. I think the mirrors are the same on both sides.
That is correct and the repops are as good as original. I have a original on the left and a repop on the right and the only way to tell them apart is the repop has no flaking of the silvering.

You may be able to get a new heater motor from Granger if you can find the motor number. I believe that's what I did years ago when I started my restoration. I had a electrical guru guy friend who had a shop find it for me just for the fun of finding it, I was lost in the million motors that might fit but didn't till he helped me out....Tedd
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I know that John (2blu442) on here has a 55 he is parting out. The heater motor would be the same as the 54. Maybe he will see your post or you can contact him. He is one of the best guys on here and his prices are very reasonable.
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM

That's a nice looking ride. I would leave the paint alone. It looks cool as is and I think the patina really sets it off.

Excellent job on the engine bay!
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:02 AM

I see nothing wrong with the paint you already have.

Talk to a body shop about a "cut and buff" on it if you want it to shine.
I've done this to many cars that looked flat and had very little shine.
A little wet sanding and a few hours with a buffer will make that paint look like new. Much, much cheaper than a new paint job with the same final result. If it was repainted in lacquer paint back in the 70's, which is very likely, it will polish out easily and look great. You will be surprised.
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:40 AM

I like it-A LOT!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:45 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words yall - It's set up for full interior makeover starting this weekend, and I'm going to leave the outside as-is for a while.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM
Brent in Georgia

Lookin' Good

For a driver you did some really nice work on that engine compartment. I agree that the paint can wait, it looks great. Just wondering how much you have had to do to the brakes, suspension, and other stuff to the chassis. I have spent over $4000 just doing stuff to make mine a safe driver, my 455 engine does not look nice like yours........ keep the posts coming, need some pictures of the new vs old interior.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:05 AM

Thanks - I have the before pics of the interior, and some pics of the interior gutted - I'll post them with the "after" shots when it's done. Stopped by the interior shop this past weekend and the guys thinks it will be done this week - so that's awesome!

The bad though is that it sits outside of his shop during the day (as long as it isn't raining) and I think the sun is taking it's toll on the hood. The hood now looks horrible. There are tons of small (dime sized or smaller) spots on the hood where the paint is literally flaking off and peeling up - so the paint work may be coming sooner than I wanted.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:10 AM

Oh, I didn't answer the questions about brakes, etc... We really haven't done much there - other than checking/testing everything. New wheel cylinders, rebuilt master cylinder/booster and pressure checked all the lines. Suspension is untouched. I know it needs rear shocks, and I think I'll have the leaf springs reworked when I replace the rear shocks, but it actually rides pretty darned good as it is. I probably should replace all the bushings in the front end, but so far I haven't done anything with any of that.
I've got lots of pictures in a FaceBook album of the restoration - I probably should start a thread here just for the pictures, but lets see if this link works...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=049dbfa2a5
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:51 PM

how did you do the lettering on your valve covers?
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:49 AM

The letters on the valve covers are decals - from Fusick.