Disassembly of '63 88 Holiday

Old July 1st, 2017, 01:52 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Post Disassembly of '63 88 Holiday

Hey guys. Happy Independence Day.

The '63 goes to the body shop for some minor repairs and a complete exterior repaint this month. I am in the process of disassembling the moldings and bumpers working from the back to the front. I need to know how to take out the grill. Since I need to take off the front bumper I suppose I need to start there. The service manual is of little help in this regard so it would be great if one of you more seasoned owners / restorers could provide some advise.

Also, the back glass reveal molding clips are very rusted and should be replaced at the inside corner (one of two studded clips). Are the '63-'64 Chevy Impala clips the same as those used on the Olds?

Appreciate any help I can get.

Regards,

Stewart L Werner
slw0501 is offline  
Old July 1st, 2017, 08:45 PM
  #2  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,269
Here are some illustrations from the parts book that may help you .
Yes , the bumper will have to come off for paint and will probably make grille removal easier .
The moulding clips , as well as most of the other "greenhouse " parts , are interchangeable with similar GM cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
63 grille 001.jpg (1.24 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
63 front 001.jpg (1.64 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
63bumper 001.jpg (1.45 MB, 15 views)
Charlie Jones is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 03:16 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
63 Dynamic 88 Grill and bumper removed





slw0501 is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 03:50 PM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by slw0501 View Post




Thanks to Charlie Jones for the info and guidance. Moving on to rear bumper and remainder of interior.
slw0501 is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:02 PM
  #5  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,269
You're welcome Stewart . Glad to help . I've got a 1963 Olds Master parts book .
It's just full of illustrations like those . Very handy when you take a car apart , and try to put it back together 6 years later.
I'm trying to get this book published on the web , so everyone can access it .

Your car looks very clean and solid . What state did it come from ?

Last edited by Charlie Jones; July 2nd, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Charlie Jones is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:01 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
You're welcome Stewart . Glad to help . I've got a 1963 Olds Master parts book .
It's just full of illustrations like those . Very handy when you take a car apart , and try to put it back together 6 years later.
I'm trying to get this book published on the web , so everyone can access it .

Your car looks very clean and solid . What state did it come from ?
I bought the car in Louisville from the original owner's son in 2015 with the intention of flipping it. The son had mothballed the car for about 10 years. It has 70k original miles, body is in descent shape except rear right wheel well and rear bumper, I have sourced both for the redo. I have also sourced all interior fabric so seats and door panels will be redone as well. My wife saw this car and claimed it for herself so there is no flip in the mix. I will keep you posted on the progress.
slw0501 is offline  
Old July 9th, 2017, 04:32 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Post Accelerator Pedal Removal and Bendix rod adjustment

So now I need to know how the accelerator pedal is attached so I can remove my front carpet. Does the pedal pull off from a ball at the top or does the pin slide out? I am sure there are screws of bolts holding the hinge at the bottom of the pedal.

On another note, I had my original Bendix brake booster rebuilt. A buddy of mine put a different booster on as a stop gap. It works okay but it is not original. When I put the rebuilt Bendix on it locks up the brakes after driving and stopping a few times. Need to know the correct length for the rod adjustment as I do not have the gage referenced in the service manual (J-7723-01). Also, the reserve vacuum tank is not hooked up but I don't think the should cause the locking up issue.

Thanks for any info you guys can offer.

slw...
slw0501 is offline  
Old July 10th, 2017, 12:10 AM
  #8  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,269
Originally Posted by slw0501 View Post
So now I need to know how the accelerator pedal is attached so I can remove my front carpet. Does the pedal pull off from a ball at the top or does the pin slide out? I am sure there are screws of bolts holding the hinge at the bottom of the pedal.

On another note, I had my original Bendix brake booster rebuilt. A buddy of mine put a different booster on as a stop gap. It works okay but it is not original. When I put the rebuilt Bendix on it locks up the brakes after driving and stopping a few times. Need to know the correct length for the rod adjustment as I do not have the gage referenced in the service manual (J-7723-01). Also, the reserve vacuum tank is not hooked up but I don't think the should cause the locking up issue.

Thanks for any info you guys can offer.

slw...
There is no "hinge" on the accelerator pedal. It is hinged on two studs , with ball shaped ends , that screw into the floor .
The pedal simply pops on the studs . However , after more than 50 years the rubber gets very hard , and removal can be difficult . WD-40 may help .
Upper side is the same , just pops out .

On the power brake unit . I would send it back to whomever rebuilt it and tell them you want it adjusted right . If they give excuses , find another rebuilder .
The vacuum tank only provides an extra power application after the engine shuts off .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; July 10th, 2017 at 12:13 AM.
Charlie Jones is offline  
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:57 AM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Ready for the body shop '63 Olds Dynamic 88

Here are pics of the '63 completely disassembled (as far as I will take it). Getting excited!!!






















slw0501 is offline  
Old July 13th, 2017, 03:43 PM
  #10  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,269
Looks like a nice straight body . It ought to look fabulous with a nice paint job .

I'm envious , my quarter panels will need lots of work to look that straight .
Charlie Jones is offline  
Old July 14th, 2017, 11:08 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Don R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 996
That is an amazingly clean body for a 54 year old car. are you painting it the same colors?
Don R. is offline  
Old July 14th, 2017, 02:30 PM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
'63 Olds.

Repaint to be same colors: regal mist body with white top. Stock interior. Ring redone as well down to the carpet.


Originally Posted by Don R. View Post
That is an amazingly clean body for a 54 year old car. are you painting it the same colors?
slw0501 is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 04:05 PM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
63 Olds Assembled and Looking Good

Originally Posted by slw0501 View Post
Repaint to be same colors: regal mist body with white top. Stock interior. Ring redone as well down to the carpet.
















slw0501 is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 04:28 PM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern New Mexico
Posts: 12,132
Beautiful. You were probably the only Oldsmobile at that show, and half the people who looked at the car probably thought it was some kind of Impala, right? (Exactly what happened to me once with a '64 Jetstar 88 I owned back in the 1990s.)
jaunty75 is online now  
Old October 17th, 2017, 06:27 PM
  #15  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,269
Nice job ! I'm going to paint my 63 the same color (without the white top ) .
Nice to see how it's going to look .

BTW, I noticed you're missing a headlight ring . I have an extra NOS one if you need one . PM me .
Charlie
Charlie Jones is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:31 AM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Don R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 996
Wow, that was fast! What a gorgeous car, great colors!
Don R. is offline  
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:09 AM
  #17  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
slw0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Headlight Ring

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
Nice job ! I'm going to paint my 63 the same color (without the white top ) .
Nice to see how it's going to look .

BTW, I noticed you're missing a headlight ring . I have an extra NOS one if you need one . PM me .
Charlie
Charlie, I took the pic before installing the headlight ring. I had to repair the slotted hanger. Thanks for the offer.
slw0501 is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:06 AM
  #18  
Registered User
 
D. Yaros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,794
I once owned a 63 convert. Have to say I have always liked the nice, clean simple lines of the car. Yours looks great!
D. Yaros is offline  
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:54 AM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 30
One of my favorites. That paint work turned out nice!
marty59 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mv213
Interior/Upholstery
42
April 17th, 2011 04:01 PM
Natas
Drivetrain/Differentials
3
April 19th, 2010 09:31 AM
csstrux
Interior/Upholstery
4
October 25th, 2009 03:23 PM
elcaminodave
Toronado
5
September 13th, 2008 11:25 AM
rocket69
442
3
June 15th, 2008 09:12 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disassembly of '63 88 Holiday


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.