Q-Jet question.

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Q-Jet question.

Since I'm rebuilding my 425, again I was planning to go back to the Q-jet this time around. When I tore this thing down the very first time, I remember seeing a reman. sticker on the carb body. Just want to be sure that I'm working with a good carb before I invest my time and money into it.
It reads 7028237 on the body. Is this a good carb to use? And if so, when I buy the rebuild kit, are they very specific, or are all of the early 4 bbl Q-jets pretty much the same? Thanks!
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM

That is not a Olds carb. I think it is a Cad number? A OLds carb the last numbers should be, 25-, and one more numberlike 250,through 254
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

68 cadillac carb most likely.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hangin' out...

Coming from the classic Pontiac world, we are lucky enough to have, among us, Cliff Ruggles, who is a Q-Jet genius. He strongly advises against remanufactured carbs. They tend to do the one size fits all thing. Typically with newer (since the mid-late 1990s) remans, they make a lot of changes to the carb that makes it very difficult to modify for you application. However, it's hard to say what you have. If it's an old reman, it could be recalibrated for your application. I would give him a call and see what he thinks. He's a very nice guy and can get you all the parts you need. He does carbs, but he's got a heck of a backlog. He may be able to refer you to someone else who can rebuild, recalibrate, replate, rebush, etc.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

*NOTE* I'm not being paid to do this.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Coming from the classic Pontiac world, we are lucky enough to have, among us, Cliff Ruggles, who is a Q-Jet genius. He strongly advises against remanufactured carbs. They tend to do the one size fits all thing. Typically with newer (since the mid-late 1990s) remans, they make a lot of changes to the carb that makes it very difficult to modify for you application. However, it's hard to say what you have. If it's an old reman, it could be recalibrated for your application. I would give him a call and see what he thinks. He's a very nice guy and can get you all the parts you need. He does carbs, but he's got a heck of a backlog. He may be able to refer you to someone else who can rebuild, recalibrate, replate, rebush, etc.
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/
*NOTE* I'm not being paid to do this.
Good advice. Us Olds guys have Sparky. http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/
i suggest you contact him as he is Olds-specific.

Originally Posted by 442Harv
That is not a Olds carb. I think it is a Cad number? A OLds carb the last numbers should be, 25-, and one more numberlike 250,through 254
More specifically, the 5 in the next to the last digit signifies Oldsmobile.

What carb to use depends on what you want to do with it, and the above mentioned experts are your best bet. If you are looking to go back to totally stock, you can post what year you're looking for, and we can give you the right number to start with.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by wmachine
Good advice. Us Olds guys have Sparky. http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/
i suggest you contact him as he is Olds-specific.

More specifically, the 5 in the next to the last digit signifies Oldsmobile.

What carb to use depends on what you want to do with it, and the above mentioned experts are your best bet. If you are looking to go back to totally stock, you can post what year you're looking for, and we can give you the right number to start with.
Good to know that we have a carb guru here, too!
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Thanks for the links. According to the information I was able to find online, it's for a 68 Cadillac with 472 and AC. However, I also saw that the last digit was even for automatics and odd for manuals. A 68 Caddy with manual trans?