Fuel Filter Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Fuel Filter Questions

I am about through with the restoration of my '71 442. I drove it around the block this evening for the first time in many months. The engine has less than 500 miles on a major rebuild. I had the carb rebuilt too. I put an inline fule filter on the rubber fuel line that leads to the fuel pump. Under WOT the car takes off strong but then falls flat-as if it is completely out of gas. Do you think the placement of that fuel filter could be the problem? Float level? Also, the little rod that controls the openning of the secondaries has been removed. Perhaps this lets too much fuel into the carb, causing the big stumble?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Mike
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I doubt it is the filter...not knowing details on the motor re-work ( cam etc. ) I can only guess your fuel pump is not re-filling the fuel bowl fast enough. There is a high volume mechanical pump made by Airtex that usually cures the symptom you describe.

As far as the Secondary to Choke pull-off rod, I would add that back. Secondarys opening too quickly will manifest itself as a stumble right out of the hole. But without the rod you mentioned in place, the secondary Air Valve tension spring is probably set pretty tight to offset the momentary lean bog.

Just my $.02 worth

Danny
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 70Wcars
I doubt it is the filter...not knowing details on the motor re-work ( cam etc. ) I can only guess your fuel pump is not re-filling the fuel bowl fast enough. There is a high volume mechanical pump made by Airtex that usually cures the symptom you describe.

As far as the Secondary to Choke pull-off rod, I would add that back. Secondarys opening too quickly will manifest itself as a stumble right out of the hole. But without the rod you mentioned in place, the secondary Air Valve tension spring is probably set pretty tight to offset the momentary lean bog.

Just my $.02 worth

Danny
Danny: Thanks for your $.02. The fuel pump is new. The car has a mid torque Melling cam (smooth idle). Bored .30 over it is all stock. I have also been having a problem with the car loosing prime. If it sets for more than 2 days it is hard to crank. I put a new carb filter in that has a built in check valve. I haven't driven it enough to see if that helps. I am going on the Hot Rod Power Tour and am looking for dependability over performance right now.
I will likely try that Airtex fuel pump.
thanks
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Smile Sucks

If I had less than a quarter tank of gas, I would run out of gas at WOT by the time I hit third gear!!! It all moves to the rear of the tank as per Newton's law
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by redvettemike
I am about through with the restoration of my '71 442. I drove it around the block this evening for the first time in many months. The engine has less than 500 miles on a major rebuild. I had the carb rebuilt too. I put an inline fule filter on the rubber fuel line that leads to the fuel pump. Under WOT the car takes off strong but then falls flat-as if it is completely out of gas. Do you think the placement of that fuel filter could be the problem? Float level? Also, the little rod that controls the openning of the secondaries has been removed. Perhaps this lets too much fuel into the carb, causing the big stumble?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Mike
I took off the in-line fuel filter. I also rebuilt the carb and replaced every rubber gas line connection that I thought could be causing a problem. Blew out the gas line and the return line (there was some gunk in there). The problem is fixed (or at least the 'fall flat on it's face' problem is). The car cranked and ran well (at cruise and at wot) after this so maybe all is well. I am trying to get everything in order to go on the Hot Rod Power Tour.