Exhaust Removal - Headers

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2023, 04:04 PM

Exhaust Removal - Headers

Are you able to remove the exhaust headers from underneath the car?
or do you need to remove Alternator supports and AC supports?
thanks
i believe I have an exhaust leak on both headers. Are there any benefits to keeping stock vs going with an aftermarket set?

I have a 1969 Olds 442 with the 400

Last edited by MPSax; June 17th, 2023 at 05:14 PM.
Old June 17th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by MPSax
Are you able to remove the exhaust headers from underneath the car?
or do you need to remove Alternator supports and AC supports?
thanks
i believe I have an exhaust leak on both headers. Are there any benefits to keeping stock vs going with an aftermarket set?
ALWAYS best to state EXACTLY what year & model of vehicle your question pertains to.
Old June 17th, 2023, 04:34 PM

Are you talking factory manifolds, or aftermarket headers?
Old June 17th, 2023, 04:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

More than likely, you are going to have to remove the starter and may have to drop some suspension pieces and then raise the engine to get them out the bottom. I don't think they will come out from the top. One of the experts will speak up. As mentioned, it would be good to know what model Olds you are working on and if they are long tube headers. If they by chance are short tube, then that will be lots easier. Of course if you don't plan on reusing them, there is always the sawzall method.
Old June 17th, 2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
ALWAYS best to state EXACTLY what year & model of vehicle your question pertains to.
of course! What a simple thing I overlooked.
it’s a 1969 442 with the 400.
Old June 17th, 2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Are you talking factory manifolds, or aftermarket headers?

currently I have factory manifolds. I am trying to determine if it’s best to refurbish them with some paint and attention or if there are better aftermarket alternatives. Thank you!!
Old June 17th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Manifolds and headers are completely different animals.
Old June 17th, 2023, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Manifolds and headers are completely different animals.
do you recommend headers?
Old June 17th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Olds used 2 machined surfaces, there were no gaskets used from the factory. Over 50 years, the machined surfaces aren’t as smooth as the once were, and a gasket becomes needed.

You don’t need to remove the manifolds to replace the gasket. Loosen all the hardware, life out what’s left of the gasket (if any) and slide a new gasket in place. Tighten the bolts, all should be good for another couple decades.

Headers are another story. The procedure for gasket replacement is basically the same, the gaskets are different design. Headers don’t last as long, tend to rust and warp, and unless you plan to do some other engine modifications, probably aren’t worth the effort.

However if the car DOES already have headers, there can be removed by raising the car as high on the front as possible, remove the oil filter housing, remove the starter, the headers usually fall out. Occasionally, depending on header brand ot design, lifting the engine off the mounts makes things easier.
Old June 17th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Running On Empty

As best you can, describe your intentions for the car i.e. ultra high-performance (track car), ultra high-performance (street car), max HP, cruiser, etc. This can assist in establishing recommendations. While installing after-market headers is not an extremely difficult job, there is more effort in installing the correct fitting headers & you need to be sure you have the appropriate tools & working space.
Old June 17th, 2023, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Olds used 2 machined surfaces, there were no gaskets used from the factory. Over 50 years, the machined surfaces aren’t as smooth as the once were, and a gasket becomes needed.

You don’t need to remove the manifolds to replace the gasket. Loosen all the hardware, life out what’s left of the gasket (if any) and slide a new gasket in place. Tighten the bolts, all should be good for another couple decades.

Headers are another story. The procedure for gasket replacement is basically the same, the gaskets are different design. Headers don’t last as long, tend to rust and warp, and unless you plan to do some other engine modifications, probably aren’t worth the effort.

However if the car DOES already have headers, there can be removed by raising the car as high on the front as possible, remove the oil filter housing, remove the starter, the headers usually fall out. Occasionally, depending on header brand ot design, lifting the engine off the mounts makes things easier.
this is excellent info. Thank you. I believe this should be the answer to my exhaust leak and since I don’t need to remove everything, I will keep the manifolds.

Old June 18th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Wise decision. IMHO, headers are more trouble than they're worth.
Old November 12th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by matt69olds

Thanks for this informative post, I am gettting ready to replace my gaskets after diagnosing a leak instead of a lifter tick. 👍🏻