394 locked up

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM

394 locked up

Guys,
I need some advice. I am working on my 62 super 88 and have followed many of yours advice. It has been sitting for 20 years and I have neglected it. It was under cover, but still subject to too much humidity. I pulled all 8 plugs and shot PB Blaster and Marvel in each hole and waited for a couple of hours. It would not turn with a breaker bar. I removed the radiator and the fan so I could get a good tug on it and still nothing. The crank bolt is 1 & 1/8th. Seems big to me, but does allow me to get a good grab on it.

My plan is to return with enough Marvel to fill up the cylinders and get oil all over the top of the piston. Due to the v, I am sure that the ammount I have in now is not close to covering the top of the piston. Then I was going to let it sit for a couple of weeks. If that does not do it, I am afraid the car is done. Even though it has only 34k on it, doing a complete engine on a 4 door car does not make alot of sense.

If you have any other tips or advice for getting it loose, please let me know.

Thanks for the help, Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Passenger side small.jpg (138.1 KB, 42 views)
Engine small.jpg (207.1 KB, 61 views)
Interior dash small.jpg (173.6 KB, 33 views)
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM

If the marvel does not work remove the heads should be only a couple of real bad ones that had open valves for the 20 years. The interior looks good are the floors and trunk solid ? That car is worth a bit of work If it is still stuck the old shade tree mechanic way is to pull the engine remove the crank take out the piston's that are loose spray thrust on the bad ones and use a wood block to drive them out through the bottom of the block.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Fill the crankcase and cylinders with diesel fuel. I've heard it works well to loosen a siezed engine, plus it is cheaper than 5 quarts of Marvel Mystery oil. You should also remove the distributor and pump the diesel fuel through the engine with the oil pump. This will force it into the oil galleys, lifters, and valve train. Let it sit for over a week and pump the diesel fuel with the oil pump at least twice a day for about 5 minutes.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM

I've heard diesel in the cylinders as well. That looks pretty rusty for an engine bay, though.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Wow, There are some things I had not thought of. Diesel fuel? Make sense I guess. Prying on the flywheel gives way more leverage than on the crank bolt. Drill on the oil pump is also a good idea to get lube running inside the whole engine. I have done that many times to prelube a new engine. Does a 394 oil pump drive off the end of the distributor like a Chevy? Thanks for the advice and keep any other ideas coming. I do not want to give up on it, it is a very solid car.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Yes, the oil pump drives off of the end of the distributor shaft.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Still soaking

I have filled the cyliders with Diesel fuel. I plan to let it sit for a week. I can not get the disributor out or turn it. Not a good sign! any ideas on ways to nudge the distributor out? I am going to get under the car and use the bar on the flywheel as has been suggested. Is it possible to get one this stuck moving?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM

You can get PB Blaster from an auto parts store and soak the base of the distributor. Remove the spark plug wires and cap and rotor so you can get to the distributor easier. Also, make sure you remove the distributor clamp before trying to remove it. If it is on there you will never get it off.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

See if you can work out a deal on this one.
I've purchased several parts from F-85 and all were as described.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...jim-trans.html
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks Olds 64. I do have the hold down off and have sprayed PB on it. I guess I will have to let it sit some more. I will remove the carb so I have better access. I want to get the distributor out so I can start flushing with the oil pump as you suggested.

J-Chicago, thanks for the link on the other 394. I want to use mine if I can since all components and #'s are original to the car. If not, I may give him a shout.

Thanks again guys. Have either of you ever used a Stanley type bar on the lower end gear teeth to free one up?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:20 AM

Smile Rotate this

Try using a strap wrench on the dist. to avoid damage to the housing...it will take time cuz you have to move it back and forth and reset the strap each time..
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM

It's free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of your help, the old 394 will now turn. It took the Diesel fuel and the Flat Stanley bar thru the inspection plate, but it moved. I have filled it back full and am going to work on the distributor now. I want to get it out so I can use a drill to flow the oil and diesel thru the whole engine. I really appreciate your help on this. I was sure it was off to the crusher!
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by sshriber
Thanks to all of your help, the old 394 will now turn. It took the Diesel fuel and the Flat Stanley bar thru the inspection plate, but it moved. I have filled it back full and am going to work on the distributor now. I want to get it out so I can use a drill to flow the oil and diesel thru the whole engine. I really appreciate your help on this. I was sure it was off to the crusher!
I am glad you are making progress but eeegads man a car in that decent shape to the crusher if you can't get the motor to workthat is why there are other motors not all cars have to be numbers matching though it is nice many are not.I have a project that I am doing that had a 425 and the engine and trans are gone.I bought a 455 and th400 trans out of a 69 98 three years ago and decided not to put it in my blue car now it will go in my project.I don't remember the movie but the line went "never give up never surrender"
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
67 heavy metal

by the way all the hype about 2drs and convert's is ok but they made some nice 4drs over the years.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Rocket Veteran

Glad to hear it worked out..Let us know when it runs again!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks Guys, I wouldn't have really sent it to the crusher. I would have let someone here have it. It is a great old car and can drive agian, I hope. Keep the faith!
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Good to hear. Keep us updated