70 442 Locked front brakes again!

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
My Daily Driver

70 442 Locked front brakes again!

I found out that my problem with the front brakes locking up was due to missing pieces. It turns out the previous owner bypassed and removed the metering valve on the brake system! This is the larger than golf ball device that connects near and to the master cylinder and power booster.

I was suspect because tube fittings were not correct.

I have ordered and received new metering valve, distribution block and associated new tubing to finally put the problem to bed.

However, looking through my service and assembly manuals I cannot find a good schematic of just how the plumbing should go. (copies of the assembly manual are poor)

Can some one forward me a link or a copy of pages 108 and 109 Manual section 5 of the assembly manual? Maybe a photo of the metering valve correctly installed would help.

Thanks to all and I will let you know how it goes.

Mitch
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hey,glad you found it.I read your post quite awhile ago and it just left me scratching my head.I'm happy to know what caused that,probably not as happy as you are.HA HA.Good luck putting it back together,later,BO
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM

1970 442 Disc Brakes Plumbing

Hi Mitch
Here's some photos from a 1968 442 project car I have. I think the plumbing would be very similar to the 1970. Note the size of the lines, the rear is larger than the front. After the front goes to the distribution valve the lines run behind the booster down to the frame mounted block. Let me know if you have any questions. John

P1010177-2.jpg

P1010180-2.jpg

P1010181-2.jpg

P1010182-2.jpg

P1010179-2.jpg
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
My Daily Driver

Very helpful pics, thanks. I will let you know how it turns out. I won't be able to work on the car for about a week as I'm out of town but I can't wait to get working on it.

Mitch
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
My Daily Driver

AArrgghhh!

All the brake lines to the distribution block were brass (or some sort of soft material) and stripped. Not one broke loose. I worked for 3 hours and I couldn't get anything accomplished. I'm driven to fix it and tonight I have failed.

I know what the problem is with Big Red and I can't yet implement the fix. I have the parts and the tools but not the stamina.

My son (Mechanic Extrodinaire) will be here in the morning and give me a hand. He said, "Dad, take a deep breath and walk away from the car." God Bless this child.

I have beating myself to death getting this brake issue put to bed and it's driving me nuts.

More later as I resolve this issue on my daily driver.

Mitch
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Hang in there Mitch, that is a frustrating place to be but wisdom from your son. Sometimes we do need to walk away and do something different for a while. We'll be watching for your updates after your son helps you out. John
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Mitch, as John says "hang in there" the fun of owning a older car is the looks you get an the time warp you get to live in when you drive it. The down side is its an old car. This to will pass and you will be in the time warp again soon. Sounds like you have a great kid.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM
My Daily Driver

The Boy came by and we got the distribution block off the car. Now we have one more issue to deal with. The brake lines and fittings were already stripped. We cut lines just to get the DB off the frame. Problem now is waiting for Monday to order replacement lines. (We're not talented enough to bend and flare). Another week until parts are here and we jump into the fray again.

My Son was a fresh breath of air today.

Thanks to the above for the positive spin on this seemingly endless grief. You guys are the greatest. I'll keep you in the loop

Mitch (and #1 Son: Tony)
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
My Daily Driver

OK, still waiting for some brake lines but now a question has come up about the 'Hold Off Valve', or metering valve. It was shipped with a black rubber cap. One person says to remove the cap and another guy says, "No, leave it on." What now?

Installing the hold off valve either way makes perfect sense. But I don't need my thoughts; I need the correct way to install this part.

Any ideas out there?

Mitch
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I think I know what you mean Mitch, but could you post a photo so we can be sure? John
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
My Daily Driver

Will do. It will be up in the AM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:05 AM

Unhappy Dispersed

The '70 used an updated block than the '68 & '69, its long and skinny like the lower distribution block-I think it is a distribution block with metering valve built in...PN 1233464 1970- all w/disc brakes...
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
My Daily Driver

Yellowstatue,
I'm not convinced you are correct. Due to the fact that I had hard tube fitting issues and the vendor enlightened me with the differences regarding the "Hold Off" valve and the "Proportioning Valve" for appropiate years.

The products necessary to make the plumbing and logic for my issue seemed to be resolved with the exception of the rubber shipping cap (?) or the cap that needs to installed with the hold off valve.

The pictures above look like what I should have. The vendor agrees (this is based on chronological differences). The question is whether or not the rubber cap is part of the assembly or just used for shipping.

I will take the "Hold Off" valve off and take pics so that the cap (on or off) should be tossed or installed.

Mitch
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
My Daily Driver

Here is the Hold Off valve as shipped with black cap installed.

Here is the valve with the cap removed.

My question is does the cap remain during install or is it a shipping and protection item?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6016.jpg (38.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_6015.jpg (40.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tangovino; May 24th, 2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Leave the cap on. I'm trying to remember what that is but will have to look it up. John
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Yep,I agree.I know on a proportioning valve,the rubber cover serves as adust cover.Keeping dirt out of the little valve.I dont see how that could hinder operation.good luck!!later,BO
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
My Daily Driver

I am at whits end! I have installed all the new plumbing and leaked checked and now the power booster is ionp! I have bled the brakes to success and all the valves are installed as described.

To review, I had power brakes before I installed the Hold Off valve. The hold off valve was installed so that the locking brake issue would go away. Now, no power boost.

I am so lost as what to do. This locking brake issue should not be as disabiling as it has become. Now the car will not drive and I have replaced all equipment.

Help!

Mitch
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
My Daily Driver

IT'S FIXED!

Now that I installed the 'hold off' valve and hooked everything up, the brakes still weren't correct or safe. I called a long time friend to bail out my Son and I on this issue. He said the master cylinder is bad. I told him it is only 4 months old. He looks at me and said the MC is bad; get a new one. I did and he was correct. Bled the entire system and adjusted the back drums and test drove the car. Amazing! It all has finally come together. The MC was bad out of the box. (Third world to blame there {and myself}).

I drove it all over town today and all is well in "Oldsmobile Land."

Thanks for the words of support and guidance. I hope to someday repay the debt.

Mitch
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM

We're just glad your brakes aren't going to lock-up in front of us!!Just kidding you ,man!I know i've been there,later,BO