Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

'55 2 Door Post 3-speed Restoration

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:38 AM

Olds Dad - I have been looking into getting my wonderbar radio converted to AM/FM . The places I spoke with advised they could make the signal seeking wonderbar function. It adds about $150.00 to the cost. I am trying to decide wether to use the push button radio from my parts car and save the wonderbar. The price I got for conversion for the push button was $395.00. To do the wonder bar I was told about $500.00.
Still trying to decide which way to go.

Rick
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:42 AM

Keep the wonderbar, and add a fm tuner (housed in the glove box) and used by tuning to a specific frequency on the am dial), would be the course I would choose.
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

UPDATE:

So, between brake woes on my driver, and general life, I've been able to do only some small stuff.

I managed to get the nose off - so now, all the bolt on stuff is off.

Removed the clutch & brake pedals, steering mast, and everything on the firewall.

I need to remove the steering box and then I'm going to pull the engine and start detailing the front clip.

I did manage to clean up and detail my front bumper brackets and hardware - so I still feel like I'm gradually moving forward...

Stay with me, this car will get done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bracket 2.jpg (23.6 KB, 54 views)
Bracket 1.jpg (23.1 KB, 53 views)
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the brake issue on my driver tonight, I focused on reassembling the heater box / blower motor assy

Here is a before picture, and the after shots.

Used the correct cloth wire for the lead and grounds, as well as the original connectors (after melting away the original solder) -

The beast in the background is Gromitt...one of my two Great Danes and a constant garage companion.
Attached Images
HTR BOX BEFORE.jpg (22.8 KB, 55 views)
HTR BOX 1.jpg (26.0 KB, 59 views)
HTR BOX 2.jpg (25.4 KB, 59 views)
Old September 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Got the dash bezels back from the plater...boy are these pretty
Attached Images
2012-09-28_20-36-11_642.jpg (52.5 KB, 47 views)
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:51 AM

nice sparklers,does she want to wear them on her ears?Who is doing your plating ,my plater did a nise job but ruined the trunk handle and there arent many to be found so when i find one i want to have someone else do it.
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

I have a local guy here in Providence (D&D) - he's pretty good with small stuff, but not much in the way of problem pieces...most of what he's done for me was pretty good to start with - I think for something tough, you need to pay the money and go to Paul's Chrome (only place Mike Fusick uses...including for his '53 Fiesta he's restoring). I'd guess your trunk emblem would cost you about 4-5 Franklins, but it would be perfect
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:54 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Finally an update

So, I haven't updated this thread in a while largely because I've been at a standstill with this car...between the under floor brakes on my driver, work, kids, and home improvements, spare minutes have been few and far between.

However, I'm back to it.

Here are a few pics of the front door vent window assemblies. Bought the rubber gaskets and the "fuzzy" channels through Fusick (although the rubber is from Steele).

New glass, rechromed frames, new channels, new slide locks (got from a Chebby catalog) and a few "Pop" rivets.

I rebuilt an extra set I had, so there's an old set in the "before and after" photos for comparison.
Attached Images
1 (Small).jpg (92.9 KB, 38 views)
2 (Small).jpg (88.7 KB, 34 views)
3 (Small).jpg (85.1 KB, 36 views)
4 (Small).jpg (86.2 KB, 30 views)
6 (Small).jpg (78.3 KB, 27 views)
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:35 AM

Gordon good to see the resto going again. I had to reread all the posts to get my head around where you were at. I know it seams like it's a slow processes but when I look back It took me 4 years on mine also and I had help at times, press on my man....Tedd
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Gordon good to see the resto going again. I had to reread all the posts to get my head around where you were at. I know it seams like it's a slow processes but when I look back It took me 4 years on mine also and I had help at times, press on my man....Tedd
Thanks Tedd - behind the scenes has been a lot of research, parts acquisition, and general organization. I'm lucky to have a good sized shop so at least when I'm not working on them, they're sitting inside and not deteriorating outside under a tarp.

I will get there - I always finish what I start - even if it takes years - my 71 convertible took me about 4 years...and I was single then!
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Update

Managed to find everything I needed for the 57 371 that I needed...heads, exhaust manifolds, distributor, and a gorgeous J-2 setup.

I'd love to have the original 324, but it's long gone, so the '57 371 with the J2 it will be.

I cleaned a up a few things...not the least of which is the throttle linkage that will run this setup.

If anyone knows what piece is missing from the hole in the airhorn of that center carb, let me know.
Attached Images
Throttle Before.jpg (73.8 KB, 32 views)
Throttle After.jpg (58.8 KB, 32 views)
J-2 setup.jpg (76.4 KB, 38 views)
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM

I checked my pictures from when I had a J2 in my 57. Did not have a hole on the center carb. Checked a number of other pictures on J2 set ups and did not see anything there either. Mystery?
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Gordon

Isn't the center carb on a j2 a 2gc and if so someone should have a schematic of one, in fact I might somewhere in my junk I'll take a look tomorrow.....Tedd

PS. good to see you are back at it.

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; October 18th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by citcapp
I checked my pictures from when I had a J2 in my 57. Did not have a hole on the center carb. Checked a number of other pictures on J2 set ups and did not see anything there either. Mystery?
I plan to look a lot closer at it all this weekend - I did similar "photo" research and also found no others similar.

Thanks for your efforts - I'll let you know what I find out
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Gordon

Isn't the center carb on a j2 a 2cg and if so someone should have a schematic of one, in fact I might somewhere in my junk I'll take a look tomorrow.....Tedd

PS. good to see you are back at it.
This is my first foray into J-2s. I've never tinkered with them - I'll try to get my feet wet this weekend on it and see. If you have one kicking around it'd be great.

I emailed a couple of carb shops with the photo and carbs.net directed me to a 'vent' multi pack that he sells. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but just not being familiar with them puts me at a disadvantage

I appreciate your efforts
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM

I, for one, would like to see some pics of the manual tranny when you get to that part of the resto.
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
I, for one, would like to see some pics of the manual tranny when you get to that part of the resto.
Will do!
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Gordon, Take a look at your 55 manual it has a breakdown of the 2GC on page 294 through page 307. I believe this is the same carburetor or very closic to it and the part in question is called a atmospheric vent rubber valve. Looks like if it ain't broke you don't need to fix it.

You might want to compare the two carbs closely to double check on their similarities also I have heard that the outside carbs are 2G's almost the same carb but without the choke setup.....Tedd
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:44 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Gordon, Take a look at your 55 manual it has a breakdown of the 2GC on page 294 through page 307. I believe this is the same carburetor or very closic to it and the part in question is called a atmospheric vent rubber valve. Looks like if it ain't broke you don't need to fix it.

You might want to compare the two carbs closely to double check on their similarities also I have heard that the outside carbs are 2G's almost the same carb but without the choke setup.....Tedd
thanks Tedd -

The vent valve is just plain missing is the problem - I did find a similar schematic to what you mention.

I found a Rochester Manual online for the J2 setup (Service Notice)

Looks like the outer carbs are 2G's without the idle circuits (and chokes as you mentioned).
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Well, the arctic tundra that is New England gave me a rare above-freezing day last weekend

I've been itching to do something on this car - so I rolled it out of the garage and pulled the driveline.

The heads are being rebuilt and I plan to start detailing the front end now that the engine is out - and opening up that syncromesh to see what's up in there.

At least I'm moving!
Attached Images
IMG_20140223_172040.jpg (91.8 KB, 30 views)
IMG_20140223_171957.jpg (57.1 KB, 24 views)
IMG_20140223_171947.jpg (55.8 KB, 27 views)
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:14 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Gordon - I do not know how you were working outside last weekend! I was in Newport for 10 days and froze everything off. My wife is still up there and says it is too cold to go anywhere.
I would love to get together with you next time I am in the US. My wife has lots of family in Pawtucket and we visit often when in RI.
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by pcard
Gordon - I do not know how you were working outside last weekend! I was in Newport for 10 days and froze everything off. My wife is still up there and says it is too cold to go anywhere.
I would love to get together with you next time I am in the US. My wife has lots of family in Pawtucket and we visit often when in RI.
Ha! Last Sunday was in the low 50s - after months of freezing, it felt like Bermuda!

I'm one town over from Pawtucket - PM me next time you're in town!