Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Wipers or wiper Switch ('55 Olds)

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Smile Wipers or wiper Switch ('55 Olds)

Just recently I tried to turn on my wipers(still Original vacuum type) ,but when I try to turn the switch to the right it springs back with tension and I can' get my wipers to work. Any help appreciated! Larry
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:07 AM

I had this problem on a '55 that i drove regularly several years ago. The proble turned out to be a small amount of rust collecting between the control flex cable and its center push-pull wire. I cured the problem (as well as the control cables for the air vent, heater and factory a/c) I took a pressurized can of WD40 along with its red extension tube and hosed down the interior of all the push-pull control cables several times over about a week's time while gently operating the push-pull until they were all working just fine.
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:11 AM

Thank you, I will certainly give that a try. Larry
Old March 14th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have this same problem with my 54 and it has a Fusick rebuilt wiper motor on it. The cable is fine. I think it is too much friction in the motor. I have taken it apart and put lubriplate on it but it still won't turn on. I haven't worried about it too much since I never drive in the rain.
Old March 14th, 2015, 05:55 PM

I've actually turned my wipers on only once in ten years.Got caught in a quick downpour between a car show and home. Larry
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:35 AM

I recently had the dash apart on my '55 to fix the heater core. This naturally turned into doing about a dozen "might as wells". My 98 came from New Mexico, so the vacuum hoses were dry and brittle, and some were completely gone in sections. I had to rebuild every system. I even had the vacuum wiper switch apart. My point is, I was able to test each system separately before I put it all back together, to trace any gremlins. In the end, I had working wipers, washers, heat, and a working clock. Yes, I had the sticky cable as well.
One mistake I made; I found out that grease works well in the Trico vacuum wiper motor, in a warm shop. But out in the cold, I again have no wipers... It's coming apart again.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by twintracks
I recently had the dash apart on my '55 to fix the heater core. This naturally turned into doing about a dozen "might as wells". My 98 came from New Mexico, so the vacuum hoses were dry and brittle, and some were completely gone in sections. I had to rebuild every system. I even had the vacuum wiper switch apart. My point is, I was able to test each system separately before I put it all back together, to trace any gremlins. In the end, I had working wipers, washers, heat, and a working clock. Yes, I had the sticky cable as well.
One mistake I made; I found out that grease works well in the Trico vacuum wiper motor, in a warm shop. But out in the cold, I again have no wipers... It's coming apart again.
When I was also fighting my vacuum wipers and got stuck in the rain I found that if I removed the passenger side wiper the driver side would work enough to sorta get me home, better than nothing anyway....Tedd
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:45 PM

Thanks Tedd. I think I'll be OK. I really had them flippin' in the warm shop. I need to add a lube that stays soft in the cold.
On my '37, I added a vacuum reserve tank, and that really helped, too. A tank from an old Lincoln with vacuum headlights works the treat.
Larry, You can disconnect the cable out at the Trico unit, and see if it works by moving the switch on the unit by hand (pushing what the cable is pushing by hand).

Last edited by twintracks; March 15th, 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all who "chimed in" with helpful suggestions.Small world Twintracks.I was just by the mechanic's shop ,that works on all my cars occasionally,and he just gave me the same advice.He is usually "Swamped" with work,but he usually just gives me the ideas,and tells me to go fix it. He knows I owned a used car lot for years,and I think he just wants to keep me active. Larry
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:53 AM

Smile Stuck Wipers Freed Up

Thanks to everyone who commented about my wiper problem.As suggested , I lubricated the cable (used PB Blaster) by throughly soaking the cable and switch,let it sit for 24 hrs. and the switch would turn correctly. I then removed the wiper motor and put a hose into a can of brake fluid and manually turned the lever back and forth to draw the fluid back and forth into and out of the paddle chamber. I could tell with each turning that it was turning more freely.Mounted the motor back in place,hooked up the hose and they work much better than they have since 've owned it. Thanks, Larry