Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Which trans lines go where?? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2015, 04:59 AM

Which trans lines go where?? Help!!

I'm looking for someone that can help me with hooking my trans cooler lines back up on my '56 Olds with a Hydramatic. I disconnected when I pulled my motor/trans and failed to take a picture or mark them. I'm not sure which ones go where. The manual doesn't seem to mention or show a pic from what I can find. Maybe I overlooked. Can anyone help?

thanks,
Jeff
Old November 17th, 2015, 09:57 AM

usually things like that fall into place more or less, and the length and angle of the end will tell you.
Old November 17th, 2015, 11:13 AM

I know exactly what you mean but this one not so much. I have two flex lines about 8" long coming off the trans one above the other. They screw into the hard lines that are bent the exact same way one above the other. I don't want to screw it up if it means toasting the trans.
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Would it matter? The lines just allow the fluid to flow through the radiator, one will be pressurized from the trans the other will just allow the fluid to return to the pan. I don't think it would matter if it went one way or the other as long as it went through the radiator and cooled off. If I were to guess (if it matters) the lower radiator fitting should be the pressurized one (heat rises)....Tedd
Old November 17th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Ted is correct the pressure side connects to the bottom of the radiator.
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JackJack56Olds
I'm looking for someone that can help me with hooking my trans cooler lines back up on my '56 Olds with a Hydramatic. I disconnected when I pulled my motor/trans and failed to take a picture or mark them. I'm not sure which ones go where. The manual doesn't seem to mention or show a pic from what I can find. Maybe I overlooked. Can anyone help?

thanks,
Jeff
56 olds did not use hydramatic, hydramatic had no lines and were discontinued at the end od the 55 production. then the jet away came out.
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Allen
56 olds did not use hydramatic, hydramatic had no lines and were discontinued at the end od the 55 production. then the jet away came out.
Early 56's had the Slant Pan but mid season 56's were equipped with the Jetaway so you could have either one depending on when your car came down the assembly line.... Tedd
Old December 30th, 2015, 07:20 AM

56 olds transmission

I was there working in 56 when the first ones rolled out, he may have a car that somebody put the hydramatic in, but I never seen one and I drove them with 6 miles on the odometer, never was so disappointed when I found out about the jet away and I was told they had too many complaints on the hydramatic from woman who didn't like the jerks during shifting. I personally loved it, no transmission cooling lines and the only one I ever seen you can push start. however these cars were built in different plants and could have slipped a few hydamatics in. so can,t really be that specific.
sorry for the confusion.
Frank Allen
Old December 30th, 2015, 07:05 PM

I have seen a few slant pan 56's. Mostly post cars if I'm remembering correctly but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't others models so equipped. Anyone on this forum have a slant pan in your 56?... Tedd