Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

power steer hose

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

power steer hose

Hi guys
I went to take the 55 out last night to meet up with friends for a coffee and noticed a pool of oil on the garage floor when i reversed out, i then popped the hood to be greeted with smoke, so back in the garage she went, checked it out this morning had the wife start her up and move steering left and right still could not see where it was coming from so told her to go full lock and presto a hole in the top part of the hose ( pressure side)its made a mess spilling oil all over valve covers,fire wall, exhaust manifold, what i noticed is when turning the wheel left right the hose moves around(stretches up and down) is that normal?, it looks like the original style hose , i had a look at the one from fusicks and they look the same but i reckon it could be 1-2 inches longer to stop it from stretching so much under load, i want that original look so i will order another from fusicks, i suppose it could have been worse and blown a seal in the ram.
any thoughts?
cheers chris
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM

rocketdownunder, the Fusick hose should be fine,or if in doubt( I know part returns are a problem from your location) have a local shop that deals in hydraulics(tractor or farm equipment) build you one. This is often cheaper and you get exactly what you want....Tedd
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
rocketdownunder, the Fusick hose should be fine,or if in doubt( I know part returns are a problem from your location) have a local shop that deals in hydraulics(tractor or farm equipment) build you one. This is often cheaper and you get exactly what you want....Tedd
That is a great idea Tedd. Never thought of it but my steering pump is going out and I might try that when I take care of it.