bump steer

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM

bump steer

just got back from a romp with my cutlass and i notice that its devolping a nasty case of bump steer. it is starting to feel like a 78 chevy with a 6inch lift and stock steering. ive replaced the coils 2 yrs ago and last year did the tie rods and all of the bushings. my bearings are tight, jacked it up as soon as i got home. the steering box doesnt seem any looser then normal either. anybody think they might be able to point me in the right direction??? (oh, it always seems to jump to the right)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM

I have to ask, when you changed all of the suspension components that you mentioned, did you get a front end alignment? Your problem can be caused by the castor or toe being out of adjustment. Improper wheel back spacing can also affect bump steer. Try goggling "bump steer" as there is wealth of info to be had. If an alignment has been done I would put a wrench on the upper A frame mounts (where the shims are placed) and make sure everything is tight as well as checking the adjusting barrels on the tie rods. Hope this helps a little...
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM

problem solved

corrected the bump steer issue this morning, somehow the bolts the hold my steering box to the frame had backed off. glad i found that before to much longer.............