Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

engine bay paint color

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2017, 08:36 PM

engine bay paint color

I was going to start on my engine bay this week and I was curious what everyone's opinion's were on the subject. My exterior color scheme will be a pearl white front end/roof and the back end will be teal. I'm thinking of painting the engine bay chassis black. What are your opinions on this? Is black in the engine bay look good with a white exterior and if so should I go with a eastwood chassis black in semi-gloss or a matte finish? Then I was curious what your guys' thoughts were on doing the bay in white or teal to continue with the exterior color scheme. Thank you for the help
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:37 AM

If you're going custom, why not do the engine compartment in Pearl White, and the engine in the Teal color? Would look great! I find that when you take your time, and get all surfaces pretty smooth, before painting it, the paint goes on smooth, and it is MUCH easier to clean, than, say, flat black.
Here's a Pearl White engine, in a Candy Copper engine compartment ( in a clone of Barris' Kopper Kart truck I built)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kart_eng.jpg (110.1 KB, 26 views)
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:15 PM

If mine I would paint the engine compartment the same color as the nose of the car with the air boxes, heater box and motor a gloss black. For practical reasons a black engine compartment will be like wrenching in a cave and more light can only help show off your engine.

Color is a very subjective thing, with 10 people you will get 10 answers, do it like you want, your the one who you have to make happy.... Tedd
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:31 PM
74 2.8L Capri

I did mine about 2 years ago. I found a satin black matched pretty closely what the original was. I left the firewall original, just cleaned, which is the basic pearl white color.