Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

49 coupe steering box removal help

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2013, 01:08 AM

49 coupe steering box removal help

Hi all, I'm really hoping you guys can help me out. I'm in the prosess of replacing all the wear parts in the front end steering and suspension on my 1949 Rocket 88. I've got the drivers side all removed and want to take off the steering box to inspect/rebuild so I'll be doing a thoro job to get the car driving straight and true.
Trouble is, even though I have the full workshop manual for the car, all it says is "remove steering box from the car" Yeah, right!
I sweated all day under the car yesterday, I got the 3 bolts out easy but the thing is tight on the end of the steering column. How do I split that I realy dont want to be stripping everything off the column to pull the whole lot out the bottom of the car.
I even resorted to stripping the box of its worm and roller whilst on the car to see inside but a stuck pitman arm has put pay to that till I can buy the proper puller.
I don't want to damage anything so I'm asking for the benefit of someones previous experience. Please help
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:11 AM

Does your car have a rag joint in the steering column? If so undo the bolts holding the rag joint together and you can remove the steering gear box and the lower part of the steering cloumn as a unit. Then when you have it on the bench you can inspect it more closely for further disassembly (if needed).
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:30 AM

Good question Olds64. What's a rag joint? I've read the term a few times but never worked it out. are you saying that some steering columns are in two pieces? What do I look for, which side of the firewall?
Thanks for the quick response by the way. It's half past nine on a sunny Sunday morning here so I've got another day to spend on the old girl once I know what I'm doing.
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM

OK I Googled rag joint and i don't have one. The steering column is one piece all the way down to the steering box. It tapers at the botom before going into the steering box. I cant see any type of fixing to undo anywhere around that joint. It looks like it just pushes in but I can't split it and don't want to really bash it untill I know that it's the proper way to split it.
Any ideas???
Thanks.
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:55 AM

Make sure the steering gear box is thoroughly cleaned before hammering on anything. By cleaning off all of the old road grime and grease you should be able to see any stray bolts that are hiding. Plus, I suggest getting some PB Blaster and spraying it where the steering column meets the gear box. If the column simply swedges into the gear box there could be corrosion keeping the two together. The PB Blaster is like WD 40 on steroids for loosening corrosion and old rust. Good luck!
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If that steering box is similar to a 54 and I expect it is. the shaft comes out of the steering box an goes all the way up to the steering wheel. It is splined and threaded on the tip where the steering wheel attaches. You will have to remove the steering wheel to get the shaft to slide out.
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Good call Redoldsman, I have taken the wheel off allready so I'm ready for the shaft to drop out with the box. I can't see any PB Blaster for sale in the UK (that's where I am) but I can get Plusgas which sounds like the same thing. I have put WD40 on it but no luck as yet.
I saw a s/h column for sale from a salvage yard and from the blurred picture I couldn't see any threads on the tapered end but I'd love it if someone could confirm this.
Cheers
Old October 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Did you ever figure out how to remove the shaft and steering gear box? Unless you have a splined shaft coming out of the box and can separate the shaft at that point, I think you will need to drop the pitman arm using a puller or maybe a pickle fork assisted by heavy hammer. Then remove shaft and box, get them up on a bench where you can see what you're doing. If you haven't dismantled a steering gear box before get some directions before proceeding. Good luck.
Jerry
Old October 4th, 2013, 10:42 PM

Stu, I thought you might also contact Fusick or Kanter about a rebuild kit for your steering gear box. Since you want to rebuild the box anyways these suppliers might have pictures that can help you in your disassembly.

FWIW, I agree with Jerry. Remove the pitman arm. Perhaps with the steering linkage disassembled from the steering box it will allow the box to drop out of the car.
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Cheers for suggestions guys. Well I bought a pitman arm puller and id worked a treat. Don't you just love having the right tools! So I have emptied the steering gear box of all parts now. Still can't get the gear box housing off the steering column though. At this rate I'll have to clean it up and rebuild it on the car. I've tried hitting it but its just pulling the whole column through into the engine bay.
The only thing that is faulty is the lower of the two roller bearing and race that is a bit rusty and pitted. I'll see if Fusicks has one.
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You might give Chip at Power Steering Services in Springfield a call. He rebuilds these if you need to have it done and he is a nice guy. He can probably tell you exactly how to get it out.
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Here is the link to Power Steering Services:

http://www.powersteering.com/us/

I've heard only positive things about this company. I recall others having their power steering gear boxes changed over to the quick ratio.
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Chip is really a nice guy and does a great job. He rebuilt the power steering box on my 54 and it was perfect. I think his quick ratio conversion is mostly for A bodies. I have never heard one complaint about him. That is pretty unusual.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:22 AM

No doubt by now you have removed the steering Gear box and tube. Can you pass on any tips to the procedure. I plan to do this soon to my 49 coupe.