Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2015, 01:02 PM

Jerry, thanks for the message. Your initiative is highly appreciated.
Yes I still got the olds and will not give it away - donīt worry!
In fact I am currently not working on my Olds due to other urgencies.
Hope to be able to continue in autumn/winter. Status as it was last year, shown in the pictures.
Peter
Old July 30th, 2015, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by 47OldsWy
Holy Cow!!!! Fred sent me an email!! Fred's wrecker broke, he is getting it fixed and is going to move some cars to dig out 2 Olds. Maybe we are still in business.
He must be feeling better, he sent me an email this morning! Unfortunately the car he got in had a trashed dash, but he said he is supposed to be getting another one soon. One can hope!
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sporty45
He must be feeling better, he sent me an email this morning! Unfortunately the car he got in had a trashed dash, but he said he is supposed to be getting another one soon. One can hope!

Dang, Well I will keep my eyes peeled. Glad he got back to you with an answer at least. I haven't heard anything quite yet. Maybe ill send an email in the next couple days if I don't hear anything.
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:41 AM

My fingers are crossed!
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:21 AM

need parts!!

Hey guys! I have a 47 olds 66 series I'm restoring & the chrome guy never returned some of my parts & looks like he never will. I'm in need of the center hood strip molding. It's the last piece to my puzzle. If anyone has one please call or text me at 7028620327. Thanks
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:52 PM

Someone has the center hood strip listed for '46-49 Buick listed on EBay and had the measurement for the length.I'd say there's a good chance it might work. Larry
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by fernando47
Hey guys! I have a 47 olds 66 series I'm restoring & the chrome guy never returned some of my parts & looks like he never will. I'm in need of the center hood strip molding. It's the last piece to my puzzle. If anyone has one please call or text me at 7028620327. Thanks

I have a 1947 78 series that I may be parting out. I have the center chrome for the hood. I am guessing it will be a little long but you may be able to make it work. I will know for sure if it is available by the end of the weekend and get in touch with you.
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:54 PM

I have a 1947 78 series that I may be parting out.
OH NO!!! Are you not going to build your 47, Jenni?
Old August 14th, 2015, 02:38 PM

OH NO!!! Are you not going to build your 47, Jenni?
Found a 1946 66 series 2 door sedan. If all goes good I will be driving it home tomorrow!! It is in superior condition to my 1947. Plus I was going to do away with the chrome molding on the hood and not run the hood ornament on the 47; so at least I can help someone out with a part I don't want.

If it does happen tomorrow I'll have my husband snap some pics of me driving it home and ill share them with you guys.
Old August 14th, 2015, 03:03 PM

Cool, but what happened with the fender you ordered from Butch? Did you ever get it?
Old August 14th, 2015, 04:20 PM

Well Dennis...that's a funny story:
#1 Always get photos
#2 Always double check your resources, even if the info came from a knowledgeable source.

The fender is on the bus headed my way. I am tracking it online so I can go get it (2hours away) when it arrives. Unfortunately the info I got from the forum was incorrect and the fender will not work for my 47. I should have looked in my Hollanders before it shipped. At the very least maybe I can weld the front of the 47 to the back of the 42, which will be easier than fixing the current 47 fender. It will be so sad to chop an NOS fender!! Oh well lesson learned.

What happened with the dash? I did see that the 66series dash doesn't have a cutout.
Old August 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM

I was not aware a 42 fender would be different from a 47 fender! What is different about it?

The dash you found on ebay is a weird story too. The guy says it was from a 47 model 76 convertible, but I can't find anything in the databases other than a model 68 or 98 vert, so I think he may be mistaken about the model number of what he has. I'm leaning towards it being from a model 68 though, which would work for me, but by the time I came to this conclusion the listing expired. Nobody bought it, but it has not been relisted yet. If it does get relisted I think I will grab it. As far as the cutout is concerned, it looks like it could be just the chrome piece that has the cutout. Not sure why the different chrome pieces, but I can use a non cutout chrome piece I think to make it look right for my car. Hope he relists it!

Dennis

PS, can't wait to see your new project!
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:19 PM

The 42 has a different grill, which cuts into the front of the fender differently than the 47. Hollanders lists a different part for the 42, so that also tells me that the front fenders won't work.
Here is the 42 front (left) and 47 (right):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1942Front.jpg (60.0 KB, 15 views)
IMG_20150506_174702_492.jpg (1.19 MB, 19 views)
Old August 15th, 2015, 09:39 PM

Two are better than one

I picked up a 1946 series 66 today and drove it two hours down the highway to get it home. Definitely made me want to upgrade from stock steering and suspension. It's in WAY better shape than my 47.

By the way Dennis, my fender is at the bus depot I go pick it up tomorrow

Silly iPad will only do 1 pic at a time so I will add more when I am on my regular computer.

image.jpg
Old August 16th, 2015, 03:47 AM

Jenni, that car looks like a much better candidate for resto. Nice find! Can't wait to see more pics.

Dennis
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:54 PM

I picked up a 1946 series 66 today and drove it two hours down the highway to get it home. Definitely made me want to upgrade from stock steering and suspension. It's in WAY better shape than my 47.

By the way Dennis, my fender is at the bus depot I go pick it up tomorrow

Silly iPad will only do 1 pic at a time so I will add more when I am on my regular computer.

Attachment 121701

Does your '47 have a fastback trunk lid in good shape??
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Savage Beard - the trunk lid is in great shape, no major rust, light surface rust, no dents. But if I remember you have a a 4 door sedan (fastback): is that correct? If so Hollanders lists a different trunk lid for 2 door vs 4 door. I would be happy to take pictures and measurements and send them to you if you want to see if you can make it work.
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Hi Jenni, Did you pick up that fender yet? Was it in good shape?

Dennis
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM

Hi Jenni, Did you pick up that fender yet? Was it in good shape?

Dennis

It was in decent shape; surface rust all over - looks like his storage may not be the best. Couple small dents. And I got it cheaper than the price he had marked on the side. But here is what a NOS 1942 fender looks like.

Wish it was bolt on for the 1947, but now that I have the 46 I kind of don't even need it. I did find a 1942 78 series that is in great shape body wise, and is going really cheap - and I would be able to use the 47 interior in it; I have been toying with going and picking it up also. But how many Olds does a girl need?
Attached Images
42 NOS Fender front.jpg (432.4 KB, 18 views)
42 NOS Fender side.jpg (426.8 KB, 19 views)
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:38 AM

Not bad looking at all. Good price too. Too bad it isn't a direct bolt on for your car.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:51 AM

I think I remember seeing this discussed before, but never a real answer. Is the straight 8(from a series 78) a direct bolt in to a series 76? I have a series 76 with a nice running straight 6, but got a lead on a good running straight 8 in the area. What will have to be changed? thanks in advance!
Old August 22nd, 2015, 09:14 AM

Savage Beard - from what I can tell the 8 from the 78series will bolt into the 76series. Hollanders states that 6 & 8 are interchangeable. I know that the chassis are identical on the 47' 76 & 78 series. That 8 should bolt right up the transmission and the motor mounts shouldn't need changed. This is just info I have read and found out doing research for my own 47'.

By the way did you want pictures and measurements for the 78 series trunk lid? I think that the trunk lid on the 2 door is longer than for your 4 door.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:05 PM

6 to 8 swap

Originally Posted by Savage Beard
I think I remember seeing this discussed before, but never a real answer. Is the straight 8(from a series 78) a direct bolt in to a series 76? I have a series 76 with a nice running straight 6, but got a lead on a good running straight 8 in the area. What will have to be changed? thanks in advance!
__________________________________________________ __

Go back to July 5, 2014 in Vintage Forum (6 to 8 Cyliner Swap) and the info you need is there.

There is a lot of this stuff repeated in these forums and a forum search for "Six and Eight Cylinder" under Vintage Oldsmobile would have located it for you. It takes some practice and persistence to search the forums but you are usually rewarded for it.

Additionally, if you had the 1948 Oldsmobile Master Chassis Parts Book you could have looked in there and seen that the parts that are usually of concern in a swap such as mounts, fans, shrouds, driveshaft, transmission etc. all have the same part # for sixes and eights which is a real strong clue that the swap can be done when coupled with the fact the wheelbase for 66 and 68 models is identical.

I really question if it is worth it for the 10 horsepower difference. Others have noted the same thing. I think quite a few have investigated the swap but very few have done it after considering the extra expense and scarcity of 8 cyl. parts plus the labor involved. Neither of those engines is going to set the world on fire where performance is concerned. If you have the space why not buy, prep for storage and stash the eight for the day when the six gives it up and then you have a ready replacement?
Jerry
Old August 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ __

Go back to July 5, 2014 in Vintage Forum (6 to 8 Cyliner Swap) and the info you need is there.

There is a lot of this stuff repeated in these forums and a forum search for "Six and Eight Cylinder" under Vintage Oldsmobile would have located it for you. It takes some practice and persistence to search the forums but you are usually rewarded for it.

Additionally, if you had the 1948 Oldsmobile Master Chassis Parts Book you could have looked in there and seen that the parts that are usually of concern in a swap such as mounts, fans, shrouds, driveshaft, transmission etc. all have the same part # for sixes and eights which is a real strong clue that the swap can be done when coupled with the fact the wheelbase for 66 and 68 models is identical.

I really question if it is worth it for the 10 horsepower difference. Others have noted the same thing. I think quite a few have investigated the swap but very few have done it after considering the extra expense and scarcity of 8 cyl. parts plus the labor involved. Neither of those engines is going to set the world on fire where performance is concerned. If you have the space why not buy, prep for storage and stash the eight for the day when the six gives it up and then you have a ready replacement?
Jerry
After some research, and looking at the specs, I think you are right. I will wait, my 6 runs so good that it would be silly to take out now. I may keep the guy on the line for when it does go dead, many years from now. haha. I do appreciate the input, and yes, I should've search more thoroughly beforehand, but you guys are so fast at responses, I got my answer I needed it short order. thank you both for the replies.

47OldsWy, I do not need the measurements from your trunk lid. As you are correct and they will not match up. I do thank you though for thinking of me and offering to help.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:07 PM

Savage Beard, is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-1948-Ol...dc11b1&vxp=mtr

Dennis

Last edited by Sporty45; August 23rd, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 24th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Yes, Dennis, its been on Ebay a while. Its on the complete other side of the country from me, so I have been trying to source one a little closer. I looked at the interchange manual, but was there a trunk and fastback version of 47 series 76?
thanks
Bryan
Old August 24th, 2015, 06:05 PM

I looked at the interchange manual, but was there a trunk and fastback version of 47 series 76?
thanks
Bryan
That I couldn't tell ya, but I'm sure some of the smarter minds here would know! Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

Dennis
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Yes, Dennis, its been on Ebay a while. Its on the complete other side of the country from me, so I have been trying to source one a little closer. I looked at the interchange manual, but was there a trunk and fastback version of 47 series 76?
thanks
Bryan

I looked at that one on EBay and noticed that it says it comes off a convertible coupe, which means that trunk is from a 68 or 98. The interchange manual doesn't list a coupe version in the 76 or 78, I haven't seen one is my searches, so I'm going to go with a No.
Attached Images
oldsmobile1947-48.jpg (155.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by 47OldsWy; August 25th, 2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old September 12th, 2015, 05:30 PM

I have a '47 78 series I am working on. also a '48 for parts. It has no front fenders or hood. My friend has a '46 he is fixing going all the way with it. Be glad to help any one with parts if possible. Location is Richland wa.
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:58 PM

Welcome to CO and Vintage Olds 46-48 thread

Originally Posted by pilgrim
I have a '47 78 series I am working on. also a '48 for parts. It has no front fenders or hood. My friend has a '46 he is fixing going all the way with it. Be glad to help any one with parts if possible. Location is Richland wa.

Hi Pilgrim and welcome to CO. More particularly I'm really pleased to see another 40s Oldsmobile being worked on. You were wise to get a spare parts car for your 78 Series. Tri Cities area where you live is about 3-4 hours away from my home in SW Washington. There are 40s Olds owners scattered all around the USA and in foreign countries. I think there are at least 8-10 in Washington State and others in Oregon, Montana, Idaho and British Columbia. All are places easily reached on road trips for parts.

This is by far the most cordial and helpful group I've run across in decades of having the old car hobby.
Tell your friend with the 46 to join in the CO community too.
Jerry
Woodland WA.
ps. We really like photos of the cars so read up on picture posting and send some along.
Old September 13th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Welcome pilgrim! Good luck with your project, and like it was mentioned, pics, pics, pics!

Dennis
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:52 PM

48 oldsmobile 98 2 door fastback

Looking for a steering wheel horn Cushion to get my horn working again.
Attached Images
OLDS.jpg (49.5 KB, 11 views)
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:34 PM

Hello guys,
I thought I may give you an update on my car, its going pretty slow but with solid steps. The chasis was pretty bad so it was sand blasted and repaired, it was cracked in the back, where the rear axle springs rest. The body has also been sand blasted an they have started working on it, still a very long way to go.

Old September 16th, 2015, 11:14 PM

Hello again Manuel. You are making great progress on your 48 Convertible as the photos indicate. Don't worry about it going slow. I've been 7 years getting mine to the point it is almost ready to paint and still need glass, upholstery and top after that so it is likely to be another year at least. I can only go as fast as my budget which is pretty slow. Keep sending pictures from Buenos Aires. You might be the only 46-48 Oldsmobile member from Argentina.
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Hello again Manuel. You are making great progress on your 48 Convertible as the photos indicate. Don't worry about it going slow. I've been 7 years getting mine to the point it is almost ready to paint and still need glass, upholstery and top after that so it is likely to be another year at least. I can only go as fast as my budget which is pretty slow. Keep sending pictures from Buenos Aires. You might be the only 46-48 Oldsmobile member from Argentina.
Hello Jerry,
I am not worried about going slow, I am still young, only 26 years old . All the rubber parts (the bushings?) where changed. I plan to give the car all the atention it needs. I have decided to paint the car in blue, as similar as I can to the darkshade blue poly, but I cannot get a good reference. I also need to know which is the exact color of the engine as I am working on that at the moment. If any of you guys can help me with that, I'll be really happy.
Best wishes
Manuel
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM

Very nice job there, Manuel! I hope to have my frame looking that good before too much longer.

Dennis
Old September 17th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Manuelte
Hello Jerry,
I also need to know which is the exact color of the engine as I am working on that at the moment. If any of you guys can help me with that, I'll be really happy.
Best wishes
Manuel
The closest I could come is Fusicks which shows a green for Olds engines from the 30s to 1952. They sell it in aerosol cans but it cannot be air shipped so I don't know how you would get it to Argentina. My best suggestion is to email Sales@Fusicks.com and let them know where you live and since you can't get shipment on their aerosol engine color, you need the paint code so you can match it there.
Have you tried searching the restoration or paint forums here on classic olds for "straight 8 engine color"? Maybe an old thread there that will give the code. Best of luck,
Jerry
Old September 17th, 2015, 02:28 PM

Manuel, here is another source which sells by quart. Not aerosol. They could either supply or maybe give you the code so you could get it locally
http://www.hirschauto.com/ENGINE-ENA...LDZ%20GN%20ER/
Jerry
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:34 PM

Great information Jerry, thank you very much. I'll try get some of those products.
Best wishes
Manuel
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:56 PM

Does anyone have, or know where to get, the trunk latch assembly for 66 series? I need the entire thing - handle, latch mechanism, everything. I am trying to make the latch off my 78 series work but they are so different, that it may not work. Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?