TH400 pool of transmission fluid - cause?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2013, 05:35 AM

TH400 pool of transmission fluid - cause?

I went to take my Starfire out of storage on Sunday and was surprised to find a large pool of transmission fluid on the floor. It didn't leak prior (no oil either) and everything was quite dry the last time I inspected the underside of the car...the last time I drove it (about a month ago), it functioned well with no issues. I'm somewhat puzzled what (and why) would cause such a large loss of fluid...can I look for something or attempt to diagnose/fix myself or is it time to call the tow truck and take it to a shop?

Appreciate the help in advance!
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Administrator

This is a common complaint, all transmissions seem to leak when a car is stored for a long period of time. Check your level after a short drive and warmed completely.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM

Your probably going to find a leak around the dipstick tube, or pan. When the car is parked for a period of time the converter drains back into the trans and raises the fluid level to the point that it will leak from places it normally wouldn't.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM

I would double check the transmission cooler line fittings. Please be aware that you shouldn't use pipe tape on these fittings. If the pipe tape comes loose in the transmission cooler lines it can make it's way into the valve body. Debris in your valve body = bad.
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Tape also serves no useful purpose here. It's not a tapered pipe thread that seals by jamming tighter and tighter. It's an inverted flare, that seals on the flare of the tubing. The threads are straight and serve only to press and hold the flared tubing against its seat in the fitting.

Just like fuel lines, brake lines, etc.

Where DO we have tapered pipe thread on our cars?
Intake manifold- the various vacumm nipples and thermal vacuum switches.
Final Drive fill plug
Manual Trans fill/ drain
Radiator petcock
block drains

what else?
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:15 AM

Tape also serves no useful purpose here.
This is true.

People do all sorts of weird things with their cars. I helped a buddy of mine set the valve lash on his 69 Impala one time and he had used an entire tube of RTV putting each of the valve covers on. He asked me why his valve covers were leaking.

Chevy guys...
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Administrator

There were a few years that GM stopped using gaskets for the intake rubbers, valve covers, pan, and anything else they deemed ok. Those engines were full of RTV inside and out.
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM

Reply to thread 'TH400 pool of transmission fluid - cause?

Thanks all for the responses...appreciate your help!
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:00 PM

If I may also look for help with the same yet more consistent issue. My el camino has an automatic and the yoke has a very small hole drilled in the center (directly in line with the u-joint) after sitting for 7-8 days and the converter drains this thing will leak and leak out of that hole. Usually happens in winter time when the car has that long to sit and I notice the fluid at the bottom of the garage door. Anyone else have this misfortune?
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Most just braze or weld that hole.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by brddg
If I may also look for help with the same yet more consistent issue. My el camino has an automatic and the yoke has a very small hole drilled in the center (directly in line with the u-joint) after sitting for 7-8 days and the converter drains this thing will leak and leak out of that hole. Usually happens in winter time when the car has that long to sit and I notice the fluid at the bottom of the garage door. Anyone else have this misfortune?
Suppose to be a yoke seal on inside of tranny that alot of times gets left out on a build . Had it do it to me on my chevy pick up when i would park on an incline , never leaking any other time , only then, but after i had it built . Took it back to builder and he put the seal back in it for me .
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:06 PM

That's very interesting. Many years ago I got this driveshaft out of a short-wide pickup because it was so very close to the length I needed for my 700r4 conversion. Never had a problem with it until I moved into my current house where the car sits level finally. I wonder if there is no seal in the OD tranny to prevent this?
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by brddg
Anyone else have this misfortune?
My Delmont does it everytime it's stored for any length of time.
My buddy's 70 Chevelle SS does it too. He says it's very common for TH400's.