1961 Hydromatic

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2007, 10:41 AM

1961 Hydromatic

Is this a good or bad tranny? What are some of the quirks I can look forward to.
Thanks
Pat
61 Olds 88 Dynamic 88 2dr sedan
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Past Administrator

Some people like it, others don't. If it is serving you well now, why change anything? Welcome to our site.
Old October 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM

My 64 98 has a Slim Jim and it is a very poor transmission. I hope to convert over to a TH 400 in the future. Like Paul said, if your tranny is shifting ok now then just make sure you keep fluid in it and keep the TV adjusted. If it isn't shifting properly and it isn't just an out of adjustment TV then you need to consider replacing your transmission. I don't know of anybody that services these older transmissions with a good reputation. Everyone I have ever met or talked to on-line converts to a different tranny instead of having the orignial rebuilt. Parts are expensive. If you are determined to go through a rebuild about the only place you can get parts is Fatsco transmissions.

http://www.fatsco.com/
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM

I am curious if anybody here put a Hydramatic in place of the Slim Jim transmission? I thought about this in a '62 I had years back, but I didnt think the Hydramatic would clear the narrow transmission hump in the floor!
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:23 AM

The tranny was rebuilt 2,000 miles ago so the previous owner said but it is very clean so maybe. I just noticed that the tranny has a weird shift when slowing down to a stop almost like a manual tranny down shifting to low at about 7-10 MPH. I have a 63 Buick Wildcat tthat I just converted from a dynaflow to a TH400 switch pitch. Can this be done with a 394? I know it's all about bell housings. Are 394's BOP pattern?
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
Past Administrator

No, not the modern BOP pattern, you have to purchase an adapter plate. I think Olds64 looked into that one time, he may have the part number and contact information.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:00 AM

Tanson Enterprises > http://www.forwhatyouneed.com/transm...conversion.htm
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM

Yeah, Tanson is the only place I know of that you can get an adapter plate made. Don't forget that you will also have to modify the drive shaft, shift linkage, TV, and motor / transmission mounts. Also, if you convert to a TH 400 you will be going from a 4 speed automatic to a 3 speed automatic. That means that you will be turning higher rpm on the highway while cruising. Of course, this might be desireable in an old car (depending on what you want your car for).

If you want to stick with an automatic with an overdrive you might consider a 200 4R. The only problem with this transmission is that it would need to be built up to handle the torque of a BBO. If you decide to use the 200 4R have Brian Hofer build it for you (he is a transmission guy that builds hi quality 200 4Rs for Buick GNs). If you decide to use a TH 400 then I suggest putting a rebuild kit in it and changing the fluid. The TH 400 is definitely the cheaper way to go. But then again, in a conversion like that who is counting dollars?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM

Give the Slim Jim a chance...

Hi KQQLCAT,

Here's my two cents on the 61 Olds Roto 10 Hydramatic (Slim Jim)...it's a quirky and weak unit, but in my opinion, part of the fun of owning an older Oldsmobile. If you upgrade, it's like putting a piece of modern car into an older car. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate modern/better transmissions, but I dont see the point in mixing old and new technology unless you are going totally custom, which can be very cool, but is a different issue.

I've had about 14 1961 Oldsmobiles, and two 63 Oldsmobiles...all with the Slim Jim. Have 2 '61 Oldsmobile 98s at the present time. Found that if you avoid doing certain things, they will be much more likely not to break.

#1 most important...upon deccelleration...when the car is coming to a stop and the unit is shifting itself out of second down into first...if you are going to accellerate again (for example if a traffic light turns green BEFORE you are fully stopped), go easy on the gas to let the trans 'catch up' and build pressure. Sometimes in this situation if you suddenly accellerate you can catch the trans 'off guard' and it's like in neutral and then will slam into gear and shock the unit. Yep, self-destructive.

#2...fast throttle movements, sudden acceleration at any speed that results in stress on the unit should be avoided. You can still do full throttle acceleration, but dont mash the pedal...

#3...keep the idle on the engine nice and low...will avoid 'holding onto' second during decelleration to stop...can be annoying if the idle is too high and also adds stress to the unit.

I drive fairly hard, and have had pretty good luck keeping these working by going by those guidelines. I drive long distances with these cars (for fun) and I trust them. Have even done standing 1/4 mile drags with a 63 Starfire with stock trans - held together.

On point to some of the other comments...I am pretty sure that most upgraded units will require that you cut the trans tunnel part of the floor as the THM400 and the 4 spd Hydramatic are physically larger. One of the reasons that GM built the Slim Jim was to reduce the size of the transmission hump in the passenger compartment, so therein lies a problem.

Regarding the comment about resultant gear ratios, unless you are using a much more modern overdrive automatic you wont have any difference in engine rpm on the highway. The final drive ratio in the Slim Jim, the 4 spd Hydra and the THM400 is 1:1 - the number of gears does not matter, its the final ratio that matters and they are all 1:1.

On the Slim Jim, also try adjusting the TV rods. They look like downshift linkages but are actually the up and downshift actuators. There is a small one up near the carb. I forget which way is which but lengthening and shortening it changes the shift points. Can make a world of difference; generally speaking delaying the shift point on the Slim Jim makes for a smoother shift.

If your shifts are extremely rough (jolting) from 1st to 2nd, inspect the dampening plate between the engine and trans. It is a spring loaded plate that is meant to cushion the shift. If the springs are broken or the plate is jammed it will cause a hard shift.

Lot's of guys will complain about this transmission, and truthfully they have valid reason because they are not the greatest units out there, but in my opinion it's part of the whole package of the 61-64 Olds. I'd give it a chance.

All best,
Alan
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:35 AM

Paul, when I rebuilt my engine I could see physical damage to the dampening plate that bolts to the flywheel. The srings were actually broken. When I ordered a new one the springs were all in good condition. They jostled back and forth a little bit when I moved the plate but it wasn't very noticable. If yours is rattling alot, I would say toss it and buy a new one. I think Fusicks and Fatsco carry them.

Also, Alan has a good point. You have to decide if you want to keep your car original or do a custom street rod. An engine or tranny swap is a big job, make sure you have good motivation before setting out to do this. Also, I stand corrected. I didn't think about the final gear ratio of the two transmissions I was talking about if they are both 1:1 then they will have the same cruising rpm on the highway. DOH!
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:52 AM

Spring Plate...

Hi Paul,

I believe that the springs in the spring plate do rattle a little bit (they are not preloaded). I'd do just as Olds64 suggests, if they are really loose, toss it; if they just rattle a little, is probably good. I know that is a subjective answer, but I couldn't begin to suggest how to bench test the part.

Had an NOS spring plate that I put into a 61 Starfire a couple of years ago, and the trans ended up shifting really well. My 61 98 conv has 14K original miles and that also shifts nice, but my high-school car, a 100K mile Super 88 gave me whiplash on every 1st to 2nd upshift. So I think that wear/weakening on these plates truly does affect the shift performance.

Catch you guys later...

Alan
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by alrandmae
Here's my two cents on the 61 Olds Roto 10 Hydramatic ........
I have asked several people, what makes that trans junk? The question was ignored.

Yours is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

Norm
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Despite the odd gear ratios and somewhat slushy shifts, the Slim Jim can hold up pretty well to abuse, as many Starfire and 98 owners can confirm. Incidently, in some literature the factory called them "4S" transmissions , which many folk took to mean 4 speed. Actually, they were 3 speed transmissions with a small fluid coupling that gave some initial torque multiplication off the line. I agree with alrandmae above that the Slim Jim helps give those cars a unique personality, and I wouldn't trade mine away for any other transmission. On the other hand, the 4 speed Hydra-matic in my '55 Olds was my favorite transmission of all.
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:13 AM

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by PetChemMan
......... in some literature the factory called them "4S" transmissions ........
That is because they actually had four speeds.

......... with a small fluid coupling that gave some initial torque multiplication off the line ........
A couple of things wrong with this:

Where is the missing gear?

Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; November 23rd, 2007 at 08:36 AM.
            Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM

Nope; the Slim Jim, as installed in 1962 Starfires, is a three speed transmission, and not a four speed. Note that the 3 speed Roto Hydramatic ( Slim Jim) came after the 4 speed Jetaways, although there was some overlap in production depending on car make. And according to the factory service manual, the "fluid coupling" , as the factory called it, did in fact add some torque multiplication for the first few seconds of first gear, which is why they chose to label it a "4S". Note that a torque converter is simply a special type of fluid coupling, and the factory did not choose to call it's small coupling a full torque converter, even though it had a third element and did provide some torque multiplication. The mislabeling of the transmission as a "4S" was a controversial marketing ploy . The issue was much discussed in several trade publications of the day, ( some of which I have in my library) and GM came under criticism from the industry back in the early 60's as a result.

Last edited by PetChemMan; November 23rd, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
            Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

When I tore apart my Slim Jim I noticed the fluid coupling had a stator in it. I also noticed that the transmission pump was a pressure compensated vane pump. If I remember correctly a pressure compensated vane pump wasn't used again until the early 80s in the Ford AOD transmission. Unofortunately, the transmission in my car has excessive wear and leaks internally. That is why I don't think very much of the Slim Jim. Truthfully, I would love to drive a car with a properly operating Slim Jim.
            Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM

........ Slim Jim, as installed in 1962 Starfires ........
            Following is from the opening post:

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
            ........ 61 Olds 88 Dynamic 88 2dr sedan
            The topic is not a '62 Starfire.

........ according to the factory service manual ........
            The coupling is filled, the neutral clutch is applied and the sprag, or roller clutch, is effective, placing the the transmission in first.

The reduction in first is due to the 2.933 rear unit gear reduction, times the 1.2 coupling torque multiplication, less the .3 engine torque acting on the output shaft through the accel-a-rotor
            That should make it a 3.32:1 first gear.

The coupling is filled, the neutral clutch is applied and the sprag, or roller clutch, is effective, placing the the transmission in second.

The reduction in second is due to the 2.933 rear unit gear reduction only.
            That should make it a 2.933:1 second gear.

The front clutch is applied and the coupling is empty, shifting the transmission into third.

Because the coupling is empty no power is transmitted through the torus members and torque multiplication is due to the 1.56:1 front unit gear ratio.
            That should make it a 1.56:1 third gear.

The front clutch remains applied and the the coupling is filled.

Both planet carriers and the output shaft are connected. The front sun gear and the rear internal gear are connected, and the front internal gear and rear unit sun gear are turning at approximately the same speed, thus the entire train must revolve as a unit in direct drive.
            Finally, according to your FSM, that should make it a 1:1 fourth gear.

I count 4 gears, how many do you count?

........ the fluid coupling did in fact add some torque multiplication ........
            Of course the torus assembly slips. If it didn't, it would not be possible to put the trans in gear, with the engine running.

........ for the first few seconds of first gear ........
            Normal idle/off idle slippage at the torus wheels. Nothing to do with the number of gears, or gear ratios.

What am I missing?

Norm
            Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM

The topic of my comments is the Slim Jim transmission, regardless of what car it is in. The Slim Jim was a three speed transmission with a small fluid coupling that acted as a limited torque converter. Three speed transmissions with torque converters are still only three speeds, regardless of the torque multiplication of the torque converter. The earlier four speed hydramatics with torque converters weren't called five speeds because of the torque converter effectively adding a gear, and no other transmission with three mechanical speeds plus a torque converter has been called a four speed. A three speed transmission with a lock up converter is still only a three speed transmission. Buick Dynaflows and Super Turbine 300s were only two speed transmissions with a torque converter, even though the torque converter provided tremendous amounts of torque multiplication on acceleration, and acted as a continuously variable transmission during acceleration.
            Yes, the fluid coupling in the Slim Jim gave increased torque briefly in first gear, but that is not usually considered a separate gear. There was no shift from what they called first gear to second gear; it was only the torque multiplication of the fluid coupling running out. It's a matter of semantics, and GM chose to call it a "4S" , while everyone else in the industry said it was only a three speed with a torque converter.

Last edited by PetChemMan; November 23rd, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
            Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:32 PM

Taken verbatim from the 1961 Service Manual:

"Two planetary units are used to obtain neutral, three forward speeds, and reverse."

"A fluid coupling is used to provide additional torque multiplication for first and reverse gears and to lock members of the two planetary gear sets together to provide third speed (direct drive). A multiple disc clutch is used to lock the drive torus and front unit internal gear together to provide reduction in the front unit for second speed. This clutch is also used with the fluid coupling to lock the front and rear units together to provide third speed (direct drive)."

"A sprag clutch is used to lock one member of the front or rear unit to the case to provide reduction for first and second speeds."

It's quite clear in the '61 manual that this is a 3-speed transmission. From '62 on, things get fuzzy, which coincides with the advertising people calling it the 4-S Hydramatic. Indeed, if you look at a '62 service manual, they recycle most of the same diagrams that were used in '61- it's obviously the same trans, yet they start referring to four forward speeds.

If you read between the lines in a '62 or '63 manual, it's apparent that Olds viewed the torque multiplication in the "Accel-A-Rotor" (limited torque convertor) as two distinct forward gears, while they made no such claim in '61. This makes things very confusing when discussing the functions of this trans with people familiar with different sets of semantics. In '61, when the fluid coupling empties & the mechanical clutch locks the drive torus to the front unit internal gear, this is considered the 1-2 upshift. The very same function from '62-'64 is called the 2-3 upshift.

If you look at the manuals from year to year, the ratios change very slightly. I don't know if this is due to them calculating different degrees of torque multiplication or if they used different gearsets in different model years (or both).

I've had several needlessly heated discussions over the years about just how many speeds were built into this 46-year-old obsolete transmission. Once I had to hand a guy the service manual & say "show me where it says there are four speeds." He stood there reading it for a good 10-15 minutes before he gave up- his buddies laughing at him the whole time. I'll be honest & admit that I don't know a whole lot about the workings of automatic transmissions. Nonetheless, I've talked shop with a lot of folks smarter than me about these things & the general consensus is that the Slim Jim just has some weird & unique features that put in in a class all by itself as far as auto trannys go.

I have three 61's & two 62's- all with Slim-Jims. There is no difference in the performance of the trannys in the two different model years. All of them have two distinct shift points, with the first shift being most pronounced. This is the point at which the fluid coupling empties & the mechanical clutch grabs hold. In some cars this can be quite rough depending on the condition of the clutch itself & the damping plate between the trans & the engine. Furthermore, the significant ratio change causes the RPM drop so characteristic of a Slim Jim.

So, I guess it has as many speeds as whichever manual you want to believe!

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Starfire61; November 23rd, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
            Old November 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Starfire61
            ........ Hope this helps....
            It does. Thanks.

Norm
            Old November 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Thanks for your input, Starfire61 ! And, due to a series of heated but pointless discussions with another forum member, I've learned how to use a wonderful feature on this forum called "ignore". Once again there is peace in the valley.

Last edited by PetChemMan; November 26th, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
            Old November 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Torque and Speed

Hi all...thought this discussion was excellent. Since this is the Olds board and the thread is 'transmission' it's all good and relevant in my opinion.

One clarifying thought on the ratios/speeds: the gear reduction of any transmission is simply RPM in vs out (pre and post torque converter). Torque multiplication (in the context of this discussion) has nothing to do with the mechanical reduction once the converter (or in this case Accel-A-Rotor) is locked up (in this case, in 2nd and 3rd gears). So you can't apply the torque multiplication/reduction to the ratio once locked up, its mixing apples and oranges. The converter/Accel-A-Rotor torque multiplication does not exist once the converter locks (or in this case as soon as the trans shifts out of first into second, and then third.) The final drive ratios are all 1:1 unless you've got overdrive.

Torque is literally "r x F," radius x force (a certain force at a certain lever arm)...there is no speed or velocity component. Gear ratios are literally mathmatical ratios, with no force or radius component. Gear ratio determines torque once a force has been applied.

I hope this helps!

Alan

PS: I also have several Buicks with Dynaflow Drive, in my mind the Dynaflow has 'inifinite' number of speeds (shifts gears millions of times a second) as the stator blades change ratio. But to keep it simple, the Dynaflow is a 'one speed' transmission with two 'ranges' to select from (jives with the above on the Hydramatic since there is only one final drive gearset in the Dynaflow in Drive range, so there is only one "speed.") Drive and Low are just separate 'ranges;' the trans does not shift from L to D, but instead you are given two ranges of multiplication in case increased torque is required for pulling/towing.
            Old November 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Yes, despite being called " slush-o-matic" and other such names, the Buick Dynaflow and it's successors ( Super Turbine 300, etc.) actually performed rather well. Back in the mid 60s, a friend of mine had a very nice white 1962 Buick convertible, with the 401 engine and automatic, and it was quick enough to dust off many an opponent at stoplights. Off the line, the whole car rose up vertically and emitted a whooshing sound like a giant vacuum cleaner, so much so that we used to joke that the Buick needed an altimeter instead of a tachometer.
            Old November 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Super Turbine 300
            Wasn't the TH 350 based extensively on the Buick Super Turbine 300?
            Old November 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM

Not even close.

ST-300 (Jetaway) was/is a two speed with a variable pitch converter, similar to the one used in the Buick Dynaflow. Stator blades were fixed, and stall was changed by redirecting the flow of ATF to the stator. This added a quasi lower gear to the actual 1.76:1 low gear.

Kind of like the trans that was, originally, being discussed.

Norm
            Old December 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM

AH! I wasn't sure, that is why I asked.

I have rebuilt a TH 350 and the Slim Jim in my 64. I enjoyed tearing apart the TH 350 and the Slim Jim. However (as I have mentioned before) the Slim Jim had excessive wear and never shifted right from the beginning. The rebuild didn't do much for it except give it new clutches, filter, and seals.

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Hydra-M...240342-4271636

Anyone know if this manual is any good? It is rated decently. I was thinking of purchasing it when I rebuild the TH 400 I just bought.
            Old December 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM

hydramatic rpm?

i have the 64 olds 98 whith the original slim jim,but it sounds like she makes a lot of rpm doing 60mph.(about 3000rpm)
            whats normal for these cars?
            Old December 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I don't believe that is normal. The transmission in my 98 is in sorry shape and it can go faster than 60 mph when turning 3000 rpm. I believe the final shift for a Slim Jim is at about 65-70 mph if everything is adjusted right. My transmission always tries to shift there but it never can since I have an internal fluid leak. Make sure your throttle valve is adjusted properly where it meets the carburetor. If this is out of adjustment it could make all of the difference in the world. Also make sure your fluid level is good.
            Old December 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I double checked my transmission book and you are correct Starfire 61. In the 64 Transmission Service Manual it only mentions vehicle speed in the following passage. "With the selector in S range, the transmission will shift to third and remain in third until approximately 70 to 82 mph..." I must have been thinking about the above passage earlier.

Make sure you check your TV rod. If it is out of adjustment you will have transmission trouble.
            Old December 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM

i have made all the adjustments like the manual says,and the trans works fine.
            it has a strange shifting patern,but thats normal for those transmissions(long first,short second,and a long third.

so there isnt any problem.
            just like starfire61 says:but it turned out that that's the way these cars are geared!