Speedometer cable seal / o ring at tranny?

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2015, 12:58 PM

Speedometer cable seal / o ring at tranny?

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a seal or o-ring of some sort that is supposed to go on / in the threaded fitting of the speedometer cable end that threads onto a 68 A/T power glide tranny? I'm leaking tranny fluid from that nut / cable area. I unthreaded the nut to see if there was a seal that had gone bad - but there wasn't one. I cleaned up the fitting and threads and got a few more turns when tightening it.. but the leak persists. Any help[ would be appreciated!
Old September 7th, 2015, 03:32 PM

There is no seal or o-ring where the cable screws on. A leak there is one of 2 problems, maybe both! Where the speedo gear passes through the housing, there is a small lip seal inside. The other problem is on the speedometer gear shaft there is often a groove worn from the lip seal. You need to replace the lip seal. When the housing is out, you need to inspect the speedo gear shaft and compare to a pic of a new one on ebay. For good measure, you should replace the o-ring on the housing, too. It's all cheap stuff and easy to do.

Last edited by mrolds69; September 7th, 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old September 7th, 2015, 05:41 PM

MRolds - thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm kind of new at this sort of maintainence so I think my vocabulary is not complete in me understanding your answer. If you don't mind can I ask you to answer / describe the following from your response?

Is the speedo cable the same as the word "housing" you are using?

The speedo gear is that the sqaure-ish shaft that protrudes from the cable?

So there is a seal that goes into the end of the "cable" around the "square shaft" that may have gone bad? What would be the proper name for this part if I were to look online to purchase?

Finally where would the o-ring on the housing be located? Sorry for what may be a lot of novice questions.. I really appreciate your help!
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:22 AM

MRolds - I dug a little deeper and figured out what you were explaining. I'm going to get both the seal and the oring and hopefully put an end to this decade long pain in the nütts!
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Be aware that your two speed trans is NOT a Powerglide. It is a Super Turbine 300, also called a Jetaway by Olds. Other than having two speeds, it has nothing in common with a Powerglide. Be sure you order parts for the correct trans.
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:31 AM

Glad to help, sounds like you understand it now. The square end you see on the trans that the cable from the dash fits into, that's the gear. The seal + gear are inside that piece that I call the housing. 1 bolt and you can pull the whole deal out. Some fluid will come out, not much...but have a pan under it. Pull it, then you can see what goes on. Joe is right, you said Powerglide...I was wondering about that. The general idea is the same, but parts may differ.

Last edited by mrolds69; September 8th, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Hey guys - thanks so much for the guidance! Much appreciated. I'll post an update and hopefully a photo of my car if I can figure why all my uploads to the profile pic keep failing! Lol.
Old September 13th, 2015, 05:39 PM

Hey guys, was wondering if I could lend your expertise on something that I'm a little confused about.. On your late 60's W-30 / 442 ( I have a 68' cutlass S ) Are your top radiator brackets ( the main one that sits up top behind the grill attached to the cross bream ) offset toward the fan hence creating a slight angle on the radiator? ( so the top of the radiator is leaning back toward the fire wall ) For the life of me I can't figure out what I am dealing with here.. I have had the car since 97' and have driven it this way since then.. Matching numbers car, came with the original hub cabs, radio, original spare tire, jack.. the whole 9... Wondering if this bracket is not OG? And if so, why would someone replace this!? (ps. the fan / shroud / radiator do not rub or interfere with the fan with this odd offset just to be clear / it's a slight angle )