To Gasket seal or not to gasket seal?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM

To Gasket seal or not to gasket seal?

Hello ! I'm new here but not a new fan of Olds. I have a '60 Super 88 flat top and a '62 Dynamic 88. Anyhow, I've finally gotten a chance to WORK on them, and am in the process of replacing leaky gaskets on the '62.

I just picked up some new Fel Pro valve cover gaskets for the 394 and they are rubber w/gasket-type washers for the retainer bolts. The reason I'm replacing them is that the old ones have leaked oil ALL over the block. There was no gasket sealer on the previous cork gaskets. I ALWAYS use sealer on the valve covers.

But, now I have these new rubbery ones. Will I need the sealer on them?
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:40 AM
Past Administrator

I would use a little silicone on the valve cover surface to at least secure the gasket and keep it in place as you position the vavle covers on the heads. That is how I have always done the cork type. There are no recommendations in the package I guess. (??) I have heard of those, sounds like they would seal well although I have never had trouble with the cork type. Good luck.
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:36 AM

Hey thanks. That's what I've always done, too, but those gaskets were totally compromised as far as sealing anything. I may just put a little bead on both sides for reassurance.

These gaskets came from USA Parts supply. Didn't make a choice, it's just what they sent out!
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:46 PM

I have always used Copper Coat brush on v cover only Place gasket on cover let set up .for faster use brush it on & light it blow it out then apply gasket Proven slip prof way worked as a line mechanic too many years dont have time to wait to dry & comebacks dont PAY
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Wow, and you can really fool your friends and impress your neighbors with that trick! Anything that involves fire (productively) is kool! Thanks!
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:11 AM

More often than not, valve cover gaskets leak because the stamped steel covers become deformed around the bolt holes. Before you reinstall them, use a straight edge to be sure the surface is straight, and hammer the area flat around the bolt holes as necessary. I also agree that using a sealer on the valve cover to gasket surface makes installation easier. However, it may also make the gasket more likely to slide out of place when you tighten the bolts, so take notice of that. ( And, in accordance with Murphy's Law, the gasket will invariably slide out of place on the bottom of the valve cover where you can't see it !) Using a high tack sealer such as Copper Coat helps.