69 Oldsmobile Stiff Clutch Pedal Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2015, 06:48 AM

69 Oldsmobile Stiff Clutch Pedal Solutions?

I have a 1969 Oldsmobile 442 that I recently purchased and had a question in regards to the clutch pedal.

The clutch pedal is very stiff and gets tiresome after some spirited driving.
Everything on the car is original, minus a front disc conversion.
I have seen that many people have done/showed interest in a hydraulic throw-out bearing conversion, but would that make my pedal less stiff and easier to press down?

If not, are there any recommendations on making the pedal less stiff?

I appreciate anyone's input!
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:08 AM

I would first check that there are no obstructions, and that the Z-bar is secure, (as in not loose in it's mounting) however, most often the stiffness of a clutch is related to the pressure plate. I would bet that your car does not have the stock pressure plate any longer.
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Administrator

X2 on the pressure plate. I would think that the hydraulic setups would help. I have a bad knee and cannot drive the older 4 spds, however the newer hydraulic setups that are in my wifes Mustang and all the newer p'ups I've had I can operate with ease.
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM

I was told everything was original or OE spec replacements.
But I will definitely look into getting the pressure plate checked.

I guess I will a.) check the pressure plate b.) if the pressure plate seems to be original/OE, go with a hydraulic setup

Has anyone on here have any feed back of how it is to drive after a hydraulic conversion on their 442?

Thank you for your guys' help!
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
X2 on the pressure plate. I would think that the hydraulic setups would help. I have a bad knee and cannot drive the older 4 spds, however the newer hydraulic setups that are in my wifes Mustang and all the newer p'ups I've had I can operate with ease.
Unless you have bad knees, or other medical issues, a stock 442 diaphragm clutch should not be hard to push in at all.
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:56 PM
72 Olds CS

what about pivot points ive read that they wear and i think it was gearheads78 that installed an oilite bushing(s) to make for smoother easier engagements.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Administrator

The linkage is not usually the cause of a stiff clutch pedal. Its definitely the rating of the pressure plate. When I was a kid some of the performance plates almost took both feet to push down.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The linkage is not usually the cause of a stiff clutch pedal. Its definitely the rating of the pressure plate. When I was a kid some of the performance plates almost took both feet to push down.
BTDT. My first car was a 57 Chevy Belaire, 2 Dr. Ht. Blew the clutch racing, so I put in a 3000 lb blow proof clutch. It was all I could do to hold the clutch pedal to the floor. Ended up breaking a weld on the Z-bar and had to have it welded back up. But it didn't slip.......
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As others have said, there really is no place in the linkage for there to be increased resistance: pedal hanging from two pivots, rod through hole in pedal shaft, then through hole in Z-bar, Z-bar on two pivots, rod through hole in Z-bar ear, pressing on cup of clutch lever, which pivots on its own ball.

"Back in the day" nobody else could drive my Chevelle, because the clutch pedal required such a heavy foot (and such delicate modulation). I didn't have an expensive racing clutch in it, but the stock (or stock-ish — who knows?) 11 inch unit definitely required some getting used to. Even now, decades later, in every other car I drive, the clutch just feels unnaturally light.

I know nothing about hydraulic clutches in American cars, so my only advice would be to take up bicycling, or head for the quad machine at the gym.

- Eric