tried under search

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM

tried under search

1984 Delta 88 Royale with a 307ci engine reverse barely works. Is there some major work due? Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
car guy

Sounds like a transmission overhaul to me.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM

There is a transmission shop about three blocks from me. Is this transmission that I have fairly common, or is the mechanic going to try and get me for having such an old car? I just want to tell him to rebuild it but don't want to be taken advantage of. Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
car guy

Have you checked the fluid level? Does it smell burnt?

Should be a 2004R. Transmission shops are like anything else there are good ones and really bad ones. I personally would not just head over to the closest shop. Ask around in your area on who is good.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM

A 200 4R should be easy for a shop to overhaul. It isn't anything as obscure as a Slim Jim Rotohydramatic. Just make sure you ask around like Gearhead mentioned.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM

I looked up some prices and found them to be around $950 with a core of $100. There are two shops that I know of I can check.

Would it be cheaper to fix the reverse slipping, or just overhaul it? Or get a new or rebuilt one?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM

If it is going to be less than $1000 to have the transmission overhauled that is pretty good. Of course, you should ask what the shop will do when overhauling the transmission. At the very least they should completely disassemble the transmission and install new seals, fiber clutches, and steel clutches. Generally it is a good idea to replace any bands in the transmission as well.

You might have an internal fluid leak in the transmission which would require replacing some of the hard parts (this would increase the price of the overhaul). A good shop should also check the transmission pressures on a dyno to make sure the transmission functions properly afer reassembly.

I don't suggest doing this repair yourself unless you have done transmission maintenance yourself in the past. Automatic transmissions are not tolerant of dirt and grime and they require special tools to disassemble.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Go on craigslist.org and find a th350 the same length as your current transmission. It will go right in place of your old transmission if yours does not have overdrive.

Last edited by J-(Chicago); January 22nd, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I checked the fluid and was a pint short so I filled it to the proper level. It still won't go in reverse more than a few feet...on level ground...in January.

My nose isn't what it used to be so I couldn't tell if it smelled burned or not. Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like some adjustment or rebuild is due.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM

It sound like you will need an overhaul to me. another thing to check for before you get too far with it would be to drop the pan. You will want to break all the bolts free but only work them out at one end.slowly work to the other end so the fluid does not spill everywhere. pull the filter and check the pan for "shavings" bits of metal. If the fluid is caramel in color and there is a good coating of shavings in the pan she will need to come out. Occasionally on the beefier tranny like the th350/400 you can get away with a new filter, and fluid, temporarily. Metric trannys are more sensitive to heat and are not made of the same "stuff" so tend not to be as resiliant. It might be worth the 30 bucks or so to try. I'm with jay on this one, if she needs rebuilding, find a good used th350 and swap it out. I did so in a 79 cutlass cruiser, and never had tranny problems after that. No happily ever after, just no tranny problems.
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I just got back from the transmission shop. I was told I have the good t350. That is why it lasted so long. The other news is that my gas milage is so bad because it is not getting out of second. He didn't charge for the inspection and the drive one of the mechanics took with me or the topping of of the transmission fluid which I did yesterday. He couldn't quote a price until he removes it and inspects. That would be a $150 fee.

Last edited by ztim; January 26th, 2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: new info