I tried the search feature, I swear!

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:17 AM

I tried the search feature, I swear!

Quick question for my rebuild (and I have used the crap out of the search feature with little short or concise results); what all do I need to have done to my 455 heads to have them accept an adjustable valvetrain? What are all the parts I will need to buy? I'm sure I will need an adjustable one as I want to run a cam like the Comp XE262H, I'd like to get the whole kit with lifters and such since I'm rebuilding my motor anyway, and I'm looking for somewhere around 350 horse (I'm starting with a 74' smogger as a core, so I've got a little work to do- definitely bumping compression, porting the heads myself, yadda yadda.) I'd love to buy the Eddy heads but they're expensive and I need to redo this engine now, so those will have to come later on, or I'm on my bicycle this winter
Thanks!

Last edited by Green Turd Truck; September 26th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:11 AM

If you use the Comp Cams adjustable valvetrain kit it pretty much bolts on. Keep in mind, rebuilding 40 year old heads can get expensive quick. You will definitely need cleaning, magnafluxing, springs, valve job, head milling,etc. If the heads need valve guides, valves, or other work it not hard to sink almost as much money as a set of aftermarket heads that will perform better.
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Green Turd Truck
Quick question for my rebuild (and I have used the crap out of the search feature with little short or concise results); what all do I need to have done to my 455 heads to have them accept an adjustable valvetrain? What are all the parts I will need to buy? I'm sure I will need an adjustable one as I want to run a cam like the Comp XE262H, I'd like to get the whole kit with lifters and such since I'm rebuilding my motor anyway, and I'm looking for somewhere around 350 horse (I'm starting with a 74' smogger as a core, so I've got a little work to do- definitely bumping compression, porting the heads myself, yadda yadda.) I'd love to buy the Eddy heads but they're expensive and I need to redo this engine now, so those will have to come later on, or I'm on my bicycle this winter
Thanks!
You can use a Comp Cams XE262H with stock rocker bridges but the Comp Cams Steel roller tip kit with pushrods is the most economical route to go.

I have that cam in a 350 with stock rocker set-up and it runs fine. I may even have one of those cams (used) i can sell you - along with a Comp CAms roller-tip set. PM me
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Green Turd Truck
I tried the search feature, I swear!!
Don't apologize. I've generally found it to be of marginal use at best. You get A LOT of chaff along with the wheat.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Much appreciated everybody, I'm trying to build a solid bottom end that I can drive on for now and hot rod later when I can afford the good stuff, so that's why I want to get away with as little work on the heads as possible. Also, I hate clogging up the forums with new threads so thanks Jaunty!
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM

Ok, last quick question; would a slightly bigger cam like the XE268H with just a touch more lift be safe to run with a mostly stock valvetrain for now (assuming the old parts are in good shape,) or is the 262 already pushing it? This cam has .485 intake and .49 exhaust as opposed to .475 and .480- I know there's a lot of variables and I'm not asking for any guarantees but I just want to, if possible, be able to buy one cam right off the bat and not have to touch it later when I go to put better heads on in the future.

Last edited by Green Turd Truck; September 27th, 2012 at 12:04 AM.