1955 Olds Hydra, options? other year autos swaps??

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM

1955 Olds Hydra, options? other year autos swaps??

I have googled and checked on a few sites, I know I can go to a manual but I don't want to. it seems that no one makes a kit for a 350/400/700 auto for these? If anyone does know of a kit please let me know.

So, I was wondering, given that allot of GM cars used these autos, are other years the same as in I'm guessing that 54- early 56 will swap before they went to the , sorry I have forgotten the name of the auto, or what it is refered to. But what about caddy or ponti? will these swap? Might be a stupid question, but as I have said before, we didn't get Olds in Australia after 48 so there is no local knowledge on these cars/motors/autos.

any options will be appreciated.

my car is running and the auto works, but is leaking I found a guy local who had his hydra rebuilt, cost him 2800, hence why I'm interested in what my options may be.

thanks.
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM

It will be pricey to swap a modern automatic into your car. Use the search function on our website to find a detailed build up one of our members did on his 55. He swapped a 455 and TH 400 into his car and included multiple pictures and diagrams. His username is Citcapp.
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
It will be pricey to swap a modern automatic into your car. Use the search function on our website to find a detailed build up one of our members did on his 55. He swapped a 455 and TH 400 into his car and included multiple pictures and diagrams.His username is Citcapp.
Thanks, I have looked at that, and while I would like to do something like that the cost to get a motor and auto to Australia is about 1k plus the cost of the motor and box plus anything else I need that I can't buy here. So even if I could buy a good running motor and box for $500 when it was sitting in my garage it would be over 2k worth I can pick up chev and even cadillac stuff quite easy thats all.

If money was no object and this was my only car that would be the go,I would hope one day I might be able to do that though.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM

If you are on a budget your best bet would probably be to have your original automatic repaired. I would think there should be at least one technician in Australia that can rebuild an early Oldsmobile automatic. Here is a website where you can get parts for the early automatics.

http://www.fatsco.com/

If you have your heart set on swapping in a modern automatic check out this website. They have an adapter plate so you can put a TH 400 or 700 R4 onto your car.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm

Don't forget you will have to modify the transmission mounts and driveshaft when you swap in a new transmission. You might also have to do modifications to the body (transmission tunnel) to accomodate the new transmission.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks,

I know Bendtsens do a kit, but its for a stick. Wilcap also do a stick adaptor too, but the car would be wrong with a stick, I have my hot rod for that.

I have been told of a guy local who will rebuild but as I said for $2800 which seems pretty pricey for a rebuild thats all.

I just wondered given GM and all if a 55 caddy or ponti Hydra would fit?

This is my first GM car so not up with their interchangibility But was hoping that there would be some, so I could widen my search at least.

at worst I will get the parts and see, I spoke to a guy in my club who built autos, he has minimal understanding of them but is a hot rodder so I have faith that he could figure it out if need be.

overdrive would be nice.
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Bendtsens does kits for automatics as well. Look at this webpage and scroll down.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/early_olds.htm

I don't think you can swap in an early Cadillac or Pontiac transmission. It would be easier to swap in a newer transmission.
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Oldsdruid

Comparable year Cad and Pontiac HydraMatics are essentially the same as the Olds units.

Try Tanson Enterprises for modern-to-early automatic transmission conversions. They can modify the trans case to mount to the early Rocket engine.

http://www.forwhatyouneed.com/tansonp1.html
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks, I sent them an email and they do do a kit, just waiting on a reply back as to whats involved required to make it work. its 1k but given the near 3k to rebuild an auto here, it would be worth a close look.

cheers.