Trany work and B&M shift kit

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Trany work and B&M shift kit

Ok, I just got it back from the shop, I was having some trouble going from 2nd to 3rd, very slow and sloppy, they replaced the valve body, modulator and filter. I also had them install the B&M sift kit I had sitting in the garage. It feels great, it will now easily chirp the tires going from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, it hits hard. BUT, what am I going to break now? It shifts so hard it cannot be good for something, right? It's just a 74 HO 350 with 180 hp so i am not too worried but I do plan on finding a few more ponies this winter.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM

my guess would be your u joints will be toast soon, if you keep chirping them, when i replaced my motor, that was the first thing to go
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Thats what I figured, I did just replace them when I replaced the rear gears, I should get a few weeks out of them

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...questions.html
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Dave,

That seems like quite a high performance kit you got. You have the TH350, right?

Does it shift very hard even under light and normal throttle? What RPMs (or MPH) does it shift under normal driving?

Reason I ask is that my 72 needs a tranny service within the next couple of years (fluid, filter, front & rear seals.) I need to start learning about the shift kits that are out there. I want a good performing driver (but not for street racing or anything).
My TH350 shifts firm enough (but no chirps at all though), but under normal driving, the shift points are too low (1-2 is at 15MPH!). They are a just a little higher at higher throttle. I would like to get it to shift about 500 RPMs more than now for better drivability.

I thought about a built 200R4, but if it will gain me only about 2 or 3 mpg, I would rather keep the original 350.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Hey Rob,
Yes it is a TH350.
What RPMs (or miles per hour) does it shift under normal driving?
I only got it back yesterday so I do not have all of the shift points in my head at this time. Cause on my way home from the shop I was way too busy playing
But I will keep track of it and let you know.

Does it shift very hard even under light and normal throttle?
Under normal throttle it is still very firm but not harsh.
With only a few miles on it as of now, I would say I am very happy. It is the way I like it. I kinda bought this car for fun and playing around. It is not a classic or anything, so I am not worried about "abuse".
In the local HOG group, my nickname is "smokeshow"
If I can get that nickname on a 99 HD Roadking, what do you think I like to do with this
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM

If you put good quality replacement U joints in your car sometime and keep the transmission fluid changed and service your differental then I don't think you will break anything. I wouldn't think a shift kit alone would beef up a transmission enough to break things... unless they were going to break eventually anyways.
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't think a shift kit alone would beef up a transmission enough to break things... unless they were going to break eventually anyways.
Good point...

But fixing is part of the fun
Breaking...not so much
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM

totally unrelated, but your comments about playing dave brought an old trick of mine to play. we used to cruise scrap yards, load up all the spare doughnut tire we could find, torch the bolt pattern to fit my s 10 and spend the night doin 4 wheel squeals whenever the opportunity came up.............good times