Radiators and external trany coolers

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Radiators and external trany coolers

I am currently running a external transmission cooler but am looking into buying a complete Be Cool radiator and electric fan combo. Because of my external trany cooler should I get a manual transmission radiator and just run the external trany cooler straight to the trany?

Just seems easier than running a automatic trany radiator and bypass cooling lines. It seems that it would be a cleaner and easier install this way...

What do some of you guys run?
Input/feedback apreciated

Thanks
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM

I will repeat something I heard on here, to the best of my knowledge.

The trans should be run still through the radiator, because you don't want it too cool. The idea is, go through the external cooler first, then the radiator. If the external cooler pulls it below what the radiator would do, the radiator will then warm it up to its standard, and you cooled the engine some. If the external cooler cools it to above the radiator's cooling, then the radiator will pull it down some more. And, if the external cooler takes it to the level of the engine coolant, it will just pass through.

This way, the external cooler is a cooler, but the radiator is a true heat exchanger, based on what you need at the time.
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

I would run it through the radiator after the cooler. As transmissions have a minimum operating temp, on a day with a low ambient temp the radiator will maintain that.
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Got it! Thanks guys I apreciate the help.
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:30 PM

I just use an aftermarket cooler for the trans. Even on the street I used the cooler alone and never messed with the rad cooler. If you use a real good cooler......why would you cool thr trans fluid down but then warm it back up running it thru the radiator? You actually buy a cooler to do it's job and that is cooling the transmission. All JMHO.