TH350 SPeedo Cable Seal Replacement help

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2020, 02:26 PM

TH350 SPeedo Cable Seal Replacement help

Hi everyone,
I noticed a few days ago that I have a leak and traced it to my speed cable. It appears that it is leaking from the center of the cable. The housing appears to be filled with clear silicon. The center does not seam to come out.

I have never dealt with a single transmission issue so I have no idea what I am doing. Is the below pic basically what I should do from here?

And what seal do I need to replace? The big black O ring seams obvious given the silicon. But there must be an inner seal too. Finally, How do I know what part to get? I know the trans is not original to the car, that's about all I know about it. When I was researching it seems there are multiple TH350 configurations.

Thanks,
Bob
Old May 15th, 2020, 05:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

There are two seals, the large O-ring around the outside of the housing and a small seal on the ID of the housing where the shaft of the driven gear passes through. The latter sounds like your problem. Note that the shaft of the plastic gear wears due to the seal, so simply replacing the seal may not fix the problem if the shaft is worn or rough. And yes, the second photo is what you have to do. The seals are available.