T5 Transmission Adaptation?

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2017, 03:38 PM

T5 Transmission Adaptation?

I'm swapping a SBO into a car I've got sitting around. I originally planned on using the matching Jetaway, but digging around I saw some people putting T5s behind BOP engines. That would be incredibly convenient since the vehicle I'm putting it in has a T5.

The dilemma is that this T5 is a Ford T5, and the ones typically used are the late GM T5s. Would it be possible to just swap bellhousings, and if so, which makes/models would have the correct bolt pattern?
Old December 27th, 2017, 05:39 PM
72 Olds CS

Some BOP bellhousings have a dearborn pattern on them already...ill see if i can find a pic
Old December 27th, 2017, 05:43 PM
72 Olds CS

even better

http://www.4speedconversions.com/581.html
Old December 27th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Some BOP bellhousings have a dearborn pattern on them already...ill see if i can find a pic
The problem is that while the bellhousing has the Ford bolt pattern, those Dearborn toploader three speeds were built with a GM input shaft and bearing retainer. A Ford trans from a Ford won't fit.
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:22 PM
72 Olds CS

ahh i did not know that....

what about the t5s from GM ? didnt some camaros have those ? were those ford pattern ?
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

ahh i did not know that....

what about the t5s from GM ? didnt some camaros have those ? were those ford pattern ?
GM T-5s used the GM (Muncie/Saginaw) bolt pattern to the bellhousing up until the early 90s. GM switched to using the Ford pattern after that. Input shafts were still GM-specific. I have a mid-90s F-body T-5 with the Ford pattern and a factory hydraulic throwout bearing.
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:06 AM

Joe, when you say you "have", does that mean it's in a car or eventually making it to a car? I, too, am interested in this swap. I've put WC T5s through the ringer on 5.0s without blowing them up so I figure in my wiser years, I won't do that much damage with one behind a mild 350.
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Joe, when you say you "have", does that mean it's in a car or eventually making it to a car? I, too, am interested in this swap. I've put WC T5s through the ringer on 5.0s without blowing them up so I figure in my wiser years, I won't do that much damage with one behind a mild 350.
I "have" lots of stuff that will eventually be making it into a car... ASSUMING I live long enough!

In this case, I picked up the T5 to go with the Rover 4.6 motor for my 62 F-85. The trans came out of a mid-90s Camaro with the Buick V6 (by then the V8 cars went to the T56). Unfortunately, The Series II 3800 motors went to the 60 degree metric bellhousing, so it isn't a BOP. In any case, the 215/Rover bolt pattern is different.
Old December 29th, 2017, 05:40 PM

Man that is easier than I would have guessed, although I was hoping there was a way to retain the cable operated clutch hardware.

It looks like it's all possible, but unless I stumble on the plethora of parts I'd need (bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, clutch linkage, etc...) at a pretty low price it's probably more than I'd spend on this build. I'll keep an eye out for any deals though.