transmission

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM
<ezra>

I have a powerglide and i can't get the transmission to lock into park. It rolls in any gear that it is in?

Old August 7th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Banned

If you have an Olds with an Olds engine you do not have a powerglide transmission. If you have an olds with a two speed automatic you have a THM300 (Olds called it the Jetaway). It was used from 1964 until 1969 or so.
Park position only locks the output shaft of the transmission. Check the linkage adjustment. The procedure is simple. Remove the rod from the bellcrank on the side of the transmission. Place the shifter in the park position. Rotate the bellcrank on the side of the transmission to the park position (make sure the drive shaft is locked by trying to rotate it (the rear wheels need to be off the ground to check this). Adjust the linkage by loosening the adjustment bolt on the linkage and sliding the lunk up or down until the rod end fits in the bellcrank on the side of the transmission. While you have it apart check the bellcrank for wear. If the bellcrank is rotaiting on the shaft coming out of the side of the transmission it may not push the internal linkage all the way to park. You may also have a broken parking pawl in the tail shaft housing. This is usually the result of putting the selector in the park position while the car is still moving. Lastly are you sure the car still has the Jetaway installed? A common mod is/was to replace the Jetaway with the THM350. Some folks will install this trans with the Jetaway Selector quad (PRNDL). They will elect to adjust the linkage to allow selecting PRNDS or RNDSL for the three speed trans. Some one may have adjusted your trans to the later.

Most common is mis adjusted/worn linkage or a broken parking pawl.

The adjustment proceedure I outlined is very generic as you did not state the model, year or shifter location for your car.

The other guys may have more info and please feel free to ask more questions.

[ August 07, 2005: Message edited by: jdorour ]

[ August 07, 2005: Message edited by: jdorour ]</p>
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM

great info...my 67 culass also has the jetaway trans behind a 330 but it's almost dead. can I swap in a B.O.P TH350 without too much trouble?