Question about transmission cooling lines

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Question about transmission cooling lines

My transmission cooling lines run from the transmission and go along the frame until they go to the radiator. I took my car to my mechanic and he told me that this was not the correct way that it came from factory and that the cooling lines used to run from the transmission, under the engine oil pan and to the radiator. It wouldnt really be an issue for concern, but I recently put headers on my car and the lines are to close. So, I need to change the lines back to how they were before. I was just wondering if my mechanic is correct, and that the lines did at one point run under the engine block. Maybe someone before me took the cheap way out? Anyways, if they did run under the block does anyone know where I could find that style of transmission line or part number? It's kind of hard for me to tell by these pictures on parts websites where the lines are intending to go. I have a 1971 Cutlass Supreme with what im assuming is a TH350. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

Your mechanic should stick to Houndas, these "mechanics" who have never set eyes on one of these cars never cease to amaze me.

The trans lines run up along the frame, there should be a clip holding them right on top of it.
Page 7-38 in the '71 Olds chassis service manual, you both need one.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM

He actually owns a 1971 442. Thats why I go to him. Do they make transmission lines that run along the motor, or would i have to bend myself? I'm looking for alternatives because where the lines are right now they're to close to my headers. Ive tried bending them away, but not much help. I guess I could try again.. These headers are turning out to be a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Olds64; April 19th, 2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: no cussing please
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM

the factory lines ran along the side of the block between the pan rail and the exhaust. the problem is that most any header will not clear the factory lines, at least none I have ever had. you can modify the lines to clear but if the ones you have now are in good shape I would just bend them to clear the headers.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Your mechanic should stick to Houndas, these "mechanics" who have never set eyes on one of these cars never cease to amaze me.

The trans lines run up along the frame, there should be a clip holding them right on top of it.
Page 7-38 in the '71 Olds chassis service manual, you both need one.
He actually was correct. The trans lines are supposed to run along the pan rail and up to the radiator, not along the frame.
Mine are not in the correct location and it is a balancing act to keep them off of the upper control arm.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Even though your transmission cooling lines are close to the headers why do you want to move them? As long as they aren't rubbing or interfereing it should be fine. You could always wrap the transmission cooler lines with thermal wrap to keep them insulated. Is your transmission temperature too high?
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM

I have wrapped the lines with thermo tape, but my mechanic is still concerned with how close the lines are to the header. It may not even be an issue but he also dont like how the transmission lines run along the frame. As he explained to me, the transmission moves somewhat when the car is in motion ( vibrations and such) and the frame is stationary therefore the lines will eventually rub themselves through. This is why he wants me to move the lines under the engine- because the transmission and engine move together. Anyone know where I can find prebent transmission lines that run along the oil pan? Thank you.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Check here.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ines&SM=1&SC=3