Possible to convert to TH350 and floor shift for $800 or less?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Possible to convert to TH350 and floor shift for $800 or less?

I have a 68 Cutlass Supreme 4dr with a 350 Rocket. It has a 2sp transmission in it that needs to be replaced. I have been looking for a rebuilt TH350 and I want to go to a floor shifter from my current column shifter. I am going to have someone do all the work so I want to know, how much more is it going to cost in order to get a floor shifter installed? I don't want an original Hurst his/her shifter they are out the price range so I will be ordering a B&M dual gate style. How much more would it cost me to have them install the floor shifter? I've been reading around on the requirements and it looks like I would need the transmission, the floor shifter w/ cable, and linkages for the transmission? Would all this be possible for $800 or less including the labor? I dont care for originality as much as I do performance. The engine runs smooth the transmission has been holding back the true power. Advice would be great.

I saw this setup and would like something similar. I have a split bench also.

Screenshot2012-04-03at44814PM.png
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Administrator

I don't think $800 will even cover the parts, let alone labor. I would think the $800 will cover the transmission. Then you need to add a torque converter, shifter, cables, fluids, and labor. You might want to add about $4-500 more.
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM

I can get a rebuilt TH350 for around $200-250, shifter for $100-150, torque convertor $100-150 puts me at around $450-550. I would still need the linkages though. These were my estimates.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM

If you find anyone that says they will do it for $800 RUN! I don't know if I'd trust a rebuilt trans that only cost $200-250, that doesn't even cover the labor costs to rebuild one.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Jag, I'm talking about a craigslist fine. They usually are $250-300 in my area for one in running condition. I did call a shop someone on here referred me to today and he quoted me $1100 for the whole job...he said I can save $150 with a core.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM

A very critical thing to remember is that it cannot be a Chevy TH350 unless you buy a trans-adapter too, plus longer dowels. The bellhousing pattern is different between Chevy and Olds/Pont/Buick. The Chevy trans is cheaper BUT you have to modify.

I am currently working on my neighbor's '72 Cutlass which he bought on e-bay about 3 years ago. He wanted me to spruce it up and tune it a bit. I crawled under the car and found the trans only held in by 2 bolts!!! The other 4 don't line up. Yep, it's a Chevy TH350. Also there was no dust cover over the torque converter/flex plate. So I've ordered the adapter to make it work. Personally I'd just get the correct trans..

So be prepared to spend an extra $125ish if you get a Chevy TH350 by mistake.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:38 PM
car guy

Slummin' on CL for a used tranny is fine if you are on a budget and can do the work yourself but paying someone to install a mystery transmission is crazy IMO.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Yeah I am definitely aware of the difference between the BOP TH350 and the Chevy version. So if the guy I spoke to today. I believe he worked on another members Olds and he was knowledgable about what was required. He quoted me 650 for the rebuilt BOP TH350 and 200 on the score so around 850 for a complete rebuilt trans. He said $150 on the shifter and $60 to cut down the drive shaft. He said all in all I am looking at around $1100 for the whole job.

I am not referring to "mystery transmissions". There are a couple local shops who list completely rebuilt BOP TH350s as well as the CL sellers who have receipts on the rebuild.

I think Ive come to answer my own questions here.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Yeah I am definitely aware of the difference between the BOP TH350 and the Chevy version. So if the guy I spoke to today. I believe he worked on another members Olds and he was knowledgable about what was required. He quoted me 650 for the rebuilt BOP TH350 and 200 on the score so around 850 for a complete rebuilt trans. He said $150 on the shifter and $60 to cut down the drive shaft. He said all in all I am looking at around $1100 for the whole job.

I am not referring to "mystery transmissions". There are a couple local shops who list completely rebuilt BOP TH350s as well as the CL sellers who have receipts on the rebuild.

I think Ive come to answer my own questions here.
Receipts on the build or not its still a used transmission and no telling if it was installed right or if the old one blew up and they reused a cooler that put metal though the new one ect ect. Unless you rode in the car before it was pulled its a mystery transmission.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Ok. Im not going to buy a mystery transmission. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=yeahbuddy;390445]Yeah I am definitely aware of the difference between the BOP TH350 and the Chevy version. So if the guy I spoke to today. I believe he worked on another members Olds and he was knowledgable about what was required.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you are on the right track. Go for it and have fun.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Tony

you will also find the rear gears are more than likely pretty tall with the factory 2 speed cars so dont be disappointed if it doesnt go like you hoped for with the th350 as far as the prices go sounds like you already got that figured out. My experiences have been cheaper is not always best doing it once the right way is well worth it even if it costs a bit more
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks. I made this thread this morning before I go referred to the local shop by another member so I was trying to get an average estimate on the job from you guys to have some starting point.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by archeryshooter
you will also find the rear gears are more than likely pretty tall with the factory 2 speed cars so dont be disappointed if it doesnt go like you hoped for with the th350 as far as the prices go sounds like you already got that figured out. My experiences have been cheaper is not always best doing it once the right way is well worth it even if it costs a bit more
Thats my goal. I need to swap the tranny soon but I want to be able to do what I want all at once. My problem is Im 26, my budget is micro, and this my daily driver (and only car). I've had the car for two years learning everything on my own. I dont really have much of a reference or helping hand on these things other than local mechanics....and those arent the best people to go asking how to do things. I post on here to get the feedback when I can but I end up getting scolded a lot for minor things I mention rather than getting feedback on the whole overall project. But thats how I learn.

The gear ratio is now a new can of worms for me. My car has a 2 speed but it doesnt have the get go that it should. The motor runs smooth but the trans doesnt deliver.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
MOTORHEAD

GM did have a one tranny fits all TH350 in the early 70's. All the Chevy holes and the BOP pattern in the bellhousing too. They are not the easiest to find these days.

I would try to find a core that is close enough to the same overall length to save the expense of having to modify your driveshaft. Core BOP TH350 trans are $100 locally. $650 for a rebuild is what I paid last fall for a TH350 with converter included.

Good Luck with your 68!
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't think $800 will even cover the parts, let alone labor. I would think the $800 will cover the transmission. Then you need to add a torque converter, shifter, cables, fluids, and labor. You might want to add about $4-500 more.
I'm going to stick to my original budget!
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Tony

Thats my goal. I need to swap the tranny soon but I want to be able to do what I want all at once. My problem is Im 26, my budget is micro, and this my daily driver (and only car). I've had the car for two years learning everything on my own. I dont really have much of a reference or helping hand on these things other than local mechanics....and those arent the best people to go asking how to do things. I post on here to get the feedback when I can but I end up getting scolded a lot for minor things I mention rather than getting feedback on the whole overall project. But thats how I learn.

The gear ratio is now a new can of worms for me. My car has a 2 speed but it doesnt have the get go that it should. The motor runs smooth but the trans doesnt deliver.
What you might want to do is dont get in to big of a hurry and as long as the car runs take the time to get together all the parts you feel you need before having someone do it for you. I dont think anyone means to scold you. When you ask for advice and then argue with them about it they sometimes may be thinking Whys he asking? take the advice sort it out and maybe use bits and pieces that work for you its all meant to help
Good luck and let us know how it works out
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by archeryshooter
What you might want to do is dont get in to big of a hurry and as long as the car runs take the time to get together all the parts you feel you need before having someone do it for you. I dont think anyone means to scold you. When you ask for advice and then argue with them about it they sometimes may be thinking Whys he asking? take the advice sort it out and maybe use bits and pieces that work for you its all meant to help
Good luck and let us know how it works out
I am going to take that route and take my time with getting everything correct. I was looking for a starting point to know what I was getting into and I have a general idea. I need to read up more on the gearing. I have a 4dr and I want it to run like a 2dr. Thats not too much to ask is it Im not arguing by the way, I dont take offense to any of the comments. I learn from them to be honest.
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM

I am going to take that route and take my time with getting everything correct. I was looking for a starting point to know what I was getting into and I have a general idea. I need to read up more on the gearing. I have a 4dr and I want it to run like a 2dr. Thats not too much to ask is it Im not arguing by the way, I dont take offense to any of the comments. I learn from them to be honest.
You may want to find a Th2004R which should have the universal bell housing for both Chevy and BOP patterns. It also is an overdrive transmission, which means that even if your rear gears are a little tall, the overdrive gear should give good MPG. IIRC the box will fit with little trouble. Biggest issue is the TV cable to the carb. Look into it!
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Been there doing that...

Here is what it cost me but included in this was a lot of driving, waiting for a good deal and buying and selling some components. For example, bought a black console but needed a shifter. Drove from MD to VA to buy another console with shifter from a 70 for $180, sold the console for $130 and the neutral safety switch for $20.

Low Mileage TH350 from CLassicOldsmobile member - $150
Floor shift column (needed parts from my column shift) - $60
Console - $120
Shifter - $30
Shifter Cable - $27
Floor Shift Speedo - $20
Bucket Seat Brackets - $30
Console Brackets - $0
Intermediate harness - Still looking
Wood Grain Overlay - $18
Console Top Plate - $85
Vinyl Paint - $18
Bucket Seat Cores - $175
Vinyl - $293
Labor to recover the seats - $340

That puts me at $1366. Unless you are willing to live with some poor quality parts or a ratty set of buckets, you wont get close to $800.
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM

What's that saying involving a silk purse and a sow's ear??
Where you going with this combination??
4 - door with this combo is still worth a 4-door - - -
Added to a 2-dr, and you have something!!
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Tony

343 OR 355 gears should run good with any tranny with the 200 r you could go lower and have some great low end power. Hit some swap meets its the season comming up
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I will do some more reading up.

And Rick....2 door or 4 door I drive the car for my enjoyment. Not everyone on here builds a car based on what everyone else feels is "worthy". Just sayin....they made 500 of these postless 4 doors in 1968 and I have one of them. How many of your 2 doors did they make again? And personally....with all the negativity Ive heard about the 4 door model....I think it makes a perfect sleeper.

Thanks for the comments guys.

striped1.jpg
photobucket-6602-1324578574549.jpg
photobucket-8626-1324578602828.jpg
photobucket-8386-1324580498365.jpg
photobucket-7123-1324579068974.jpg
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Not condemning - from a resale point of view, only!!
94 - 96 Impala SS??
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Rick, I dont plan on selling the car anytime soon if ever. Its my first project car and it gives me the ability to learn about mechanics as well as have some fun. If I have the money to invest in a 2 door I would be there already. I got this car 2 years ago when I was in a really hard spot in my life and its gotten me around. Things are turning around but I still dont have enough money to spend all at once so I do what I have. I figure Ill do what I desire with this car and it will prep me for the (long) future when I get my dream 2-door 442 I will knows Olds already. I love driving it to work everyday but sometimes I wish it had more power. The trans is slipping and its a 2 speed. From reading around people say the biggest difference will be noticed with a 3sp and new gearing so I am considering it. Ive never driven a car a floor shifter why not. Im 26...Im doing exactly what all you guys did when you were 26. Whatever the heck you wanted!!! haha Thank you tho.

What about the Impala SS?
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:41 PM
car guy

I like it. So much better than the 4 door crap you can buy for drivers. I would proudly drive it.
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks gearhead! The best part is when the windows are rolled down. "Hardtop Convertible" is what they called it

cutlassback.jpg
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Administrator

I personally don't like 4 doors, but I 100% believe a person should make a car what he/ she wants no matter what any1 else thinks!!!!

It's a nice car by the way!
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM

Any of you know the stock rear gears on the 4dr w 2 speed?
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Most likely 2.78:1
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM

i will donate to the cause!

I was 26 once. I also had high hopes for my cars. Don't let anyone discourage you. We are all at different points in our lives and value different things. Also, a lot of the comments you think are discouraging are actually some of the best advice.

Anyways, I have a BOP TH350 sitting on my shelf. I am willing to give you this transmission. You will need to buy a torque converter. I hope with this heck of a deal you buy a better one, or some rear gears. You only need to arrange shipping or pickup. I will rebuild the trans before I send it out. Just let me know if you want a stock rebuild or a hard hitting performance shift feel. Since it is a daily driver I recommend somewhere in between. It also has a deep chome pan; if you are interested in that sort of thing. I recommend a quicksilver shifter. They are easy to install like all other B&M shifters plus they are very simple to operate. They come with all of the brackets. I want to see you get your "driver" upgraded. I have no idea where you are located. PM the details. I posted this for everyone to see so we might all pitch in and help get this transmission to you.

No, I am not a business; I just do transmissions for side work. This transmission is one of 10 cores that haven't moved in about a year. No, I will not offer this deal to anyone else. His car and story struck a nerve with me.

Best of Luck!
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ethn_bert
I was 26 once. I also had high hopes for my cars. Don't let anyone discourage you. We are all at different points in our lives and value different things. Also, a lot of the comments you think are discouraging are actually some of the best advice.

Anyways, I have a BOP TH350 sitting on my shelf. I am willing to give you this transmission. You will need to buy a torque converter. I hope with this heck of a deal you buy a better one, or some rear gears. You only need to arrange shipping or pickup. I will rebuild the trans before I send it out. Just let me know if you want a stock rebuild or a hard hitting performance shift feel. Since it is a daily driver I recommend somewhere in between. It also has a deep chome pan; if you are interested in that sort of thing. I recommend a quicksilver shifter. They are easy to install like all other B&M shifters plus they are very simple to operate. They come with all of the brackets. I want to see you get your "driver" upgraded. I have no idea where you are located. PM the details. I posted this for everyone to see so we might all pitch in and help get this transmission to you.

No, I am not a business; I just do transmissions for side work. This transmission is one of 10 cores that haven't moved in about a year. No, I will not offer this deal to anyone else. His car and story struck a nerve with me.

Best of Luck!
great of you to offer
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:08 AM

I build a lot of transmissions, I can tell you $200 will just barely cover a quality overhaul kit (bushings, clutches, band, thrust washers, filter, etc). If your paying someone to install a trans I would suggest making sure you can test drive the car the trans comes out of. The car will have lots more "get up and go" due to the lower first gear.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearheads78
great of you to offer
x2!!!!!!!
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:58 AM
yaman 64

ethn_bert GOOD to for that offer. The young fella is right build what you want to drive not what everybody wants to see.The sleeper 4 door will be worth every penny you put in her so keeper in nice shape and one day you will be rewarded for that.
Maby 10-15 years down the road but it will pay you back.
With years of great driving and satisfaction it's like your payed back already.
I do wish i could help but i'm to far north sorry.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 64 convertible yaman
ethn_bert GOOD to for that offer. The young fella is right build what you want to drive not what everybody wants to see.The sleeper 4 door will be worth every penny you put in her so keeper in nice shape and one day you will be rewarded for that.
Maby 10-15 years down the road but it will pay you back.
With years of great driving and satisfaction it's like your payed back already.
I do wish i could help but i'm to far north sorry.
That's my point! I want to see him get the car how he wants it.

Anyone know where he is from? I can't make out his license plate. Im still waiting for him to get back with me. LOL
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Looks like the plate says California. Way to help the kid out and keep the passion alive!
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
delete

I like the car.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Wow you guys are too nice! I feel extremely blessed thank you for everything. ethn_bert I am in Southern California I will shoot you a PM. Thanks again!
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Alright guys I spoke to Ethan and he is going to build me something for my setup. I am going to make a thread on this project if you guys are interested in following it I will post a link soon. We want to ask for some help getting the trans to San Diego, CA. Ethan is located in Ohio and would like to try to pass the trans along some forum members and find a way to eventually make it to me in San Diego is possible!

Thanks a lot

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...alifornia.html

Last edited by yeahbuddy; April 10th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible to convert to TH350 and floor shift for $800 or less?