General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Could use your help! TH350 from Ohio to California

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Could use your help! TH350 from Ohio to California

Hey guys I need your help! (Surprise surprise ) I made a thread a week ago asking for advice with doing a TH350 swap with my budget. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-800-less.html

Long story short, an extremely generous member named Ethan decided to help me out a ton and offer to rebuild and donate a TH350 to me. Ethan is located in Ohio and would like to try to get some members to help out getting the transmission to me in San Diego, CA. In his PM he said "I suggest you ask the board members if anyone is willing to help transport this transmission for you. Maybe we could throw it in the back of someones truck; or add it onto someone elses shipment. I could drive it as far to Richmond Indianna. Perhaps another member could meet me and we could do a relay sort of thing."

To give you guys some insight about my car and situation I want to share the original PM I sent over to Ethan.

"Hi, I saw your responses on my thread and I want to say thank you for your generosity! I can't tell you what it means to me. This forum has been the only reason I have been able to drive my Cutlass everyday for two years now (almost 10k miles). I had a 02 Lexus GS300 when I was 21 years old thanks to my father who gave me everything but he passed away almost 4 years ago when I was 22. I lost the car and almost everything else and I needed a car to get to work everyday so I started looking for a 68-69 Cutlass Supreme. That was my favorite classic car and I was lucky enough to find the 4 door on craigslist about 20 minutes away from me. It has it's issues but it ran well and the guy was willing to take payments on his 2500$ asking price. I paid him over four months and its all went from there. Ive put in new brakes and hardware, master cylinder, battery, radiator, Edelbrock carb and intake, water pump, springs, shocks, wheels and tires and a few other things. Im almost there at having it run solid. The trans has been slipping on me so I want to get it swapped out with a floor shifter installed. I want to be able to use full auto D or ratchet through all three gears. Something that could take a bit of a beating with shift kit maybe? I live in San Diego, California. I could possibly pay you to cover some things let me know where you are and what you had in mind. Maybe if you could help me walk through the process of everything I need that would be awesome."

I am extremely excited and thankful! I was wondering if you guys could possibly contribute to this project which I will be updating until complete! I appreciate everything!
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM

That's an awful nice thing for Ethan to do, but somehow think, he'll live to regret it. That's a lot of real estate to cover, and doubt you're gonna find anyone just happening to be going that way. If going truck frieght, more's on Ethan again, as he'll be needing to strap it on a pallet, and transport it to the truck yard. Of course, you'll at least be needing to pay him for this trouble and truck frieght costs. Not meaning to sound pessimistic here, but been there before. Latest was giving a guy parts for free, and an estimated $25 UPS cost. At UPS, was shocked to find out more like $50 bucks. Well, an agreed deal's, a deal, so just ate it. An important lesson to me, as going to be a lot more careful, before doing something like this again.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM

this could be a fun way to meet members. to bad it isn't February, i could get it from Indiana to Glamis CA. at $4 a gallon it would be hard to do this without already having a reason to go to the pick up and drop off areas.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:49 PM
MOTORHEAD

have you looked into going greyhound yet?
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
have you looked into going greyhound yet?
or Fastenal
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Hey guys someone else recommended Greyhound to me. I did some googling and it looks like UPS ships 150lbs for around $100-$150 but I need to confirm that quote. I will call Greyhound as well.
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM

Check with Fastenal - Crank from Fla. to Chicago = $50!!
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
MOTORHEAD

No go UPS
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
That's an awful nice thing for Ethan to do, but somehow think, he'll live to regret it. Latest was giving a guy parts for free, and an estimated $25 UPS cost. At UPS, was shocked to find out more like $50 bucks. Well, an agreed deal's, a deal, so just ate it. An important lesson to me, as going to be a lot more careful, before doing something like this again.

Well, if money is what you were after then you should have been up front with him from the start. I'm not sure why you would assume he would "live to regret it" but not everyone is after the same thing. Anyway good luck.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM

I will call Fastenal tomorrow morning. They are not a freight company correct? They sell a bunch of fasteners and similar pieces? Thats what I picked up off of their website at least. Do I just call their main line and ask for a shipping quote?
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM

They'll give you a different # if you need one!
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM

i used a company called craters and freighters to ship me a hood from utah for 125... they damaged the hood but i got it ...