Need 68/69 Dual Gate Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Need 68/69 Dual Gate Installation Help

Searched but didn't find any specifics on installing a DG in a 68 Cutlass. I did find an awesome post with pictures titled "information for installing a dual gate" but it only covers 70-72. Anyone got any information to do this mod in a 68 or know where I can get it? Thanks.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sklbndt
Searched but didn't find any specifics on installing a DG in a 68 Cutlass. I did find an awesome post with pictures titled "information for installing a dual gate" but it only covers 70-72.
That's because the dual gate was not factory installed in the 68-69 cars, except in the H/Os. The stock 68-69 console is not designed to accommodate a dual gate. You can either replace the stock console with a repro H/O mini console, or custom modify the stock console and fabricate a new top plate.
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's because the dual gate was not factory installed in the 68-69 cars, except in the H/Os. The stock 68-69 console is not designed to accommodate a dual gate.
Didn't think about the factory issue but that certainly makes sense. I was aware however that the factory console will not accept the dual gate without modifications. Even still, isn't there some documentation somewhere outside of the factory assembly manuals that addresses installation of the dual gate with the dual gate console?

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You can either replace the stock console with a repro H/O mini console, or custom modify the stock console and fabricate a new top plate.
I have both the dual gate and factory consoles available but at this point am not sure which direction I want to go. Regardless of which direction I go I still need installation and/or modification instructions to either install the dual gate with the mini console or how to modify the factory console to accept the dual gate. Pros and cons of each, location, holes to drill, etc..
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sklbndt
I have both the dual gate and factory consoles available but at this point am not sure which direction I want to go. Regardless of which direction I go I still need installation and/or modification instructions to either install the dual gate with the mini console or how to modify the factory console to accept the dual gate. Pros and cons of each, location, holes to drill, etc..
Just so we're clear, when I say "mini console", this is what I'm talking about. Note that it uses the rectangular top plate as used on the GTOs, not the 70-72 style top plate.

This is the console used in the 68-69 H/O. I'm not sure what other info you're looking for. The shifter bolts to the floor, the console bolts over the shifter with the top plate. If you are trying to modify the stock 67-69 console, there are no "directions" on how to do it, you need to use your fabrication skills.
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Yes Joe, that is dual gate, or mini console I'm referring to as well. Maybe this is a simpler install than what I might believe it to be. I'm getting the impression that the dual gate will mount in the factory holes where the factory shifter is installed. Is this in fact the case?

I may have put the cart before the horse. Shifter and console aren't in hand yet and I am just assuming that the feet for each shifter would be different.

Last edited by sklbndt; March 7th, 2011 at 07:38 PM.