Fluid spitting out from Dipstick 68 Delmont 88

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2013, 12:03 AM

Fluid spitting out from Dipstick 68 Delmont 88

Hello, first time poster here, and looking for some TLC for my baby. I have a 1968 Delmont 88 convertible, 5.7L 350 Rocket V8 with a Synchro-mesh three speed tranny. I have been having some issues with the transmission, such as tranny fluid spitting back out where the dipstick is. I was having problems back in July, where the gears would not kick in right away. I was constantly adding tranny fluid, and it spitting out. I changed the tranny filter, and the problem seemed to stopped. I rarely drive the car since its a project car, and thought the problem had gone away. I turned her on after a two months of not moving her (I turn her on regularly to keep the battery charged, and engine turning.) I recently started driving her again, as a daily driver while I repair my main car, and I am having the same issue. I have to add tranny fluid so the gears kick in, and even then, it takes me revving the engine to get the tranny to kick in after it had been setting for a few hours, such as overnight or after work.

When I drive off at times, the car seems to sputter and kick a bit and then it goes away. Once the car is warmed up, it almost stops slipping or not kicking in gears. Sometimes, when I stop at a sign, or traffic light, and I press the gas to go after the stop, the first gear will not kick in, and then bumps in a second after, it feels as if the gear is downshifting and then upshifting in a delayed manor.

Please, I am looking for help with this issues, and I am considering flushing the tranny to see if this works. Not sure if the torque converter is damaged, and I do have a small leak. Maybe 1/2 an oz of fluid after a day.
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Mr. Johnson

I Had this same problem, It was a clogged vent tube.