Problem with Offenhauser Valve Covers spitting oil

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Question Problem with Offenhauser Valve Covers spitting oil

I am building a 488ci Olds motor based off Eagle stroker kit, edelbrock heads, 10.25 cr, hydraulic roller cam 227-241 @ .50, harland sharp roller rockers, hardened push rods, internally balanced.

During the first dyno pull we realized the Offy valve covers did not have baffles so we contacted Offenhauser. They directed us to install aluminum baffles which we welded in(top & bottom). After the next dyno pull with baffles still getting small amount of oil spilling out. During the dyno pulls we did not have breathers installed so this may have played part in it but builder felt that breathers would eventually build up and leak on motor.

Has anyone had this issue and what can be done? I have been told to install PCV valve on passenger side breather, installed baffled grommets in Offy breather tubes, install some type of foam in the pipes since baffle will not allow to fall into valve train and periodically wash/rinse filters if they become saturated.

The engine made peaks of 565 tq & 465 hp and ready to be picked up but until I figure out what's going on I do not want to accept motor. Any ideas as I'm itching to drop it in the 72 Cutlass. I also have ordered a set of edelbrock steel/chrome valve covers with baffles to see if I still have an issue. I am kind of thinking that without breathers installed it will spit oil out regardless. Please advise???
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM

The PCV is there to pull combustion gases that get past the rings back into the intake track to get re-burned. If left alone they produce acids and other nasty stuff that will contaminate your oil eventually. The breather compliments the PCV by allowing fresh air to enter where the PCV has removed it. On a OEM set up this is a closed system but having a breather is a must to allow air to flow into the engine or at least make a circuit.
Since this is a new engine I would give the rings a chance to seat and see what happens. The baffles can only help so leave them.
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM

Trip, if they loaded it up on a dyno those rings should be seated by now. I gave him all of my ideas in pm...I'm baffled too...and not like a VC.
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Trip & ah64pilot I got a set of chrome Edelbrock valve covers with baffles installed and ran a breather on driver side and PCV valve on passenger side and it solved the issue. We even pulled the breather from the driver side and made a few more dyno pulls and it solved the issue. I probably could have tried to do more work creating a baffle on the Offy's but what he did was pretty good, in addition a lot of modifications would have to be made to get correct breathers and modify for PCV installation which sucks because the engine looks 100% better with Offy's. I even contacted Offy who directed me to contact Mondello and Mondello stated they perform alot of modifications to make them work with aftermarket breathers/pcv because of hole sizes in breathers not being standard, so anyone who gets a pair just be prepared fine tune them.

Anyways during the (3) pulls the hp & tq numbers increased as I assume the rings are seating in and peaked at 585 ft/lbs torque @ 3600 rpm and 487 hp @ 5000 rpm.
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Good to know...sorry the Offy's didn't work out. Man, that's a strong motor you built, I hope you like it once it's installed...I'm sure you will lol!
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:54 AM

Yeah i hope my tires never hook up as my 10 bolt 8.5" rear end probably cannot hold! Only one way to find out lol!
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:57 AM

In addition they are for sale $225.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dool Cat
I am building a 488ci Olds motor based off Eagle stroker kit, edelbrock heads, 10.25 cr, hydraulic roller cam 227-241 @ .50, harland sharp roller rockers, hardened push rods, internally balanced.

During the first dyno pull we realized the Offy valve covers did not have baffles so we contacted Offenhauser. They directed us to install aluminum baffles which we welded in(top & bottom). After the next dyno pull with baffles still getting small amount of oil spilling out. During the dyno pulls we did not have breathers installed so this may have played part in it but builder felt that breathers would eventually build up and leak on motor.

Has anyone had this issue and what can be done? I have been told to install PCV valve on passenger side breather, installed baffled grommets in Offy breather tubes, install some type of foam in the pipes since baffle will not allow to fall into valve train and periodically wash/rinse filters if they become saturated.

The engine made peaks of 565 tq & 465 hp and ready to be picked up but until I figure out what's going on I do not want to accept motor. Any ideas as I'm itching to drop it in the 72 Cutlass. I also have ordered a set of edelbrock steel/chrome valve covers with baffles to see if I still have an issue. I am kind of thinking that without breathers installed it will spit oil out regardless. Please advise???
Who built your engine ?
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM

Duckworth Racing Engines
Old August 8th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I don't see it as a big problem. On a dyno pull, you are working the engine harder than you ever will in the car. Without breathers, any engine will push some oil out through an open hole in a valve cover while spinning 5k+ rpm, baffled or not. Unless you think there is excessive blow-by due to poor ring seal, put some good breathers on it and quit worrying. Wash the breathers out periodically if you can't stand the thought of an oil drip on your shiny valve covers. Not trying to be a dick, but engines that are run hard do get oily now and then. That's just the way it is. Show cars either don't run hard or sometimes don't run at all so it's easier to keep them looking perfect
Old August 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SBORule
Who built your engine ?
Duckworth Racing Engines
A multi time IHRA Pro/Stock champion/racer/engine builder hmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by SBORule; August 11th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Yeah i hope my tires never hook up as my 10 bolt 8.5" rear end probably cannot hold! Only one way to find out lol!
Mine is holding up with slicks and I made 492 hp / 544 tq...and now that I've upped my compression I'm sure I'm over 500 hp and who knows for torque. You can build a corporate 8.5" 10 bolt to handle 10's.

Mine is just a '72 factory rear end with 3.42 Richmond gears and an Auburn Posi. I'll beef it up eventually but it's doing just fine right now.
Old August 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Well that gives me some confidence. I have 3.73 gears and my builder suggested i go with 3.23 or 3.42 if i plan on doing any highway driving, also stated it would drive better on the street and not skip through the gears so quick!
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM

What's your 1/4 mile goal? Or do you have one?
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
What's your 1/4 mile goal? Or do you have one?
ah64pilot, I really don't have a 1/4 mile goal as I do not plan to drag race the motor at this time. I anticipate taking it to the track maybe 1-2 times per year for fun only to see what it could do but my builder thinks I can be in the high 11's with current set-up.
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM

I think high 11's is a realistic goal and very attainable for what you've got. If you are happy with the 3.73's you can keep them, but with the torque you got you could probably get away with 3.42's and keep your high 11's.

I ran 12.11's with a blown head gasket and 3.42 gears...so I think you'll be perfectly set up if you step down to 3.42's.
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM

SBORule

How do you know about Duckworth in Central Florida?