Can I Rebuild a My Transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Can I Rebuild a My Transmission

I have a 1969 cutlass s,350 engine, 4Bbl carb, and a th350 tranny. I just finished rebuilding the engine, it runs great. I was told when i bought the car that the transmission was good, just the engine needed rebuilding, well turns out the transmission is not good. Drive, low, and second dont work, but reverse does. I have a chassis service manual, but have never done any transmision work, do you think i am able to rebuild this myself, or should i give it to a shop. Also, if i can do it myself, what parts would i need to do this, and if possible what would it cost for me to rebuild it compared to a shop. Thankyou.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM

without proper tools it is very difficult. i rebuilt a th400 by myself and had to make a couple tools and just done without on some others. i got the job done but had to take the transmission back out of the car and do it again because i forgot to put in a snap ring on the drive clutch pack. after the second time i had it right. it would have ben worth the $800 to have it done. i have never done a th350 but hear it is more difficult than the 400. good luck with what ever way you go.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM

how much did it cost you total and about how many hours did it take you?
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:17 AM

this was 15 years ago. i can't remember what i had in it. by the time i made a couple tools and rebuilding it 2 times i had half the summer in it. there is no doubt that you can do it, just take your time and with digital cameras you can take alot of pictures while taking apart to see how it goes back. i will have to look what book it is but there is a great book out for people doing it themselves. one for the TH400 and another for the TH350
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:44 AM

I agree with the comment about taking a lot of pictures. I have done a few different GM's myself over the years. Its nice to be able to do it yourself and if it were as simple as just changing seals and clutches it wouldnt be too big a deal...but there are bushings to be changed...hard parts that could be worn etc..if you can afford a good rebuild i would suggest having it done for you.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Don't rebuild the transmission yourself unless you have an immaculately clean garage. Dirt is an automatic transmissions worst enemy.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Don't rebuild the transmission yourself unless you have an immaculately clean garage. Dirt is an automatic transmissions worst enemy.
X2, you don't even want to use rags with lint when cleaning parts.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM

I built my 400 thats in my F85. Get a good book( I used Ron Session's)and search the internet for info. I also aquired the fixture for holding the trans that mounts on a work bench so you can hold the trans at the nessasary angle when doing certain jobs.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KENT-...1%7C240%3A1318
Check with some of your older gas stations and repair shops. Years ago they used to rebuild them now the usually farm that stuff out, so they have no need for them maybe you could rent, buy or borrow one. Makes the job that much easier.
As for tools you will need ***'t size bearing/bushing drivers or just find a local tranny shop thats will to work with you and press in what ever bearings need to be replaced(cost me about $5-10 per bearing that I didn't have the driver for) Also a lip seal tool, 90* pick and a caliper or 90* feeler gauges to measure clearances on the clutchs and steels.
JKaz
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM

just called a shop today for a quote, they said $600 plus tax. that includes a two year warranty. sound like a good deal? and if anyone could possible give me an estimate on what it would cost if i did it, that would be great. be nice to have a comparison
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM

I would take it to the shop. A full rebuild kit costs about $300 from Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Plus you would have to manufacture a few tools or buy some to complete the job. You can always tell the shop to install a few aftermarket parts for you if you want the transmission "beefed up" a bit.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Soumds like a reasonable deal to me, and you have a warranty, which you won't have if you build it yourself.
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM

since i rebuilt the engine, ive wanted to learn how to work on transmissions. and im only 18, so i dont have too much saved up, and what i do have saved up, i would like to keep saving. so $600 is something i can live with, just would rather not. so basically, here is what im gonna do. Im gonna ask around, and see if i can borrow all the tools i need. If i cant get all of them , ill just pay someone to do it. I also just thought of a guy i know, he is a transmission mechanic, so i can see if he will be willing to do it for me for cheaper.
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM

i talked to the mechanic that i know, he said that he has rebuilt 400-500 auto trannys, so he is gonna do quality work. and it should be a whole lot cheaper than a regular shop. He agreed to do it, no set price yet, but shouldnt be too bad. Im gonna meet up with him sometime soon, and he is gonna help me go through the options on what i can do to the transmission. He says it for sure needs a rebuild, but he can go ahead and do some modifications while he has it opened up, so im probably gonna come out with a better than stock tranny. with this option, im getting the best of both worlds. Still get to be there to watch him do the rebuild, so im gonna learn a lot, and its cheaper. thanks guys for your help, ill update in a week or two with what he did to my tranny.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

You can go to your local transmission parts supply store to get the parts cheaper and if you know people and have some networking skills, I'm sure you can get someone to help you out. Do you have any skills that someone would want to trade for your services? Maybe a buddy, who has a cousin who knows a guy at the transmission shop that needs someone to cut his grass this summer? Just be creative and you can come up with something. I got a C-6 rebuilt with a transgo shift re-programmer kit for $200.00 by a guy who does quality work. I don't have a written warranty, and if something were to go wrong(knock on wood) I don't know how easy it will be to get it fixed, but hey, beggers can't be choosers, right? He needed what I had and he had what I needed. Good luck!
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by thorpedo91
i talked to the mechanic that i know, he said that he has rebuilt 400-500 auto trannys, so he is gonna do quality work. and it should be a whole lot cheaper than a regular shop. He agreed to do it, no set price yet, but shouldnt be too bad. Im gonna meet up with him sometime soon, and he is gonna help me go through the options on what i can do to the transmission. He says it for sure needs a rebuild, but he can go ahead and do some modifications while he has it opened up, so im probably gonna come out with a better than stock tranny. with this option, im getting the best of both worlds. Still get to be there to watch him do the rebuild, so im gonna learn a lot, and its cheaper. thanks guys for your help, ill update in a week or two with what he did to my tranny.
Good deal! And u get to watch the master and learn all about it. The newer transmissions are pretty simple in nature. My thoughts to a succesful rebuild: CLEANLINESS, OBSERVE HOW PUT TOGETHER WHILE IN THE TAKE APART STAGES, MANUAL, PATIENCE, RIGHT TOOLS, DON'T SKIMP ON PARTS. Lastly make sure the torque converter engages inputs shaft/reaction shaft properly.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM

My 69 442 trans rebuild was 700.00. Good luck...
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by thorpedo91
Drive, low, and second dont work, but reverse does.
Just drive backwards?
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM

Your forward clutch pack is wore out. Awesome you have a buddy to help you. I have built bunches of T350 and T400's myself, and I started out just like you did. But I was 19, and I had an old guy that knew transmissions. I bought the beer, he sat and watched and told me what to do and what not to do. It was slow of course my first one and being taught, but it was enough to gain the confidence to do another on my own. I bought a clutch spring compressor and the 350 take a special tool to get the low/reverse clutch drum out of the back of the case, but you can improvise and make your own. Now that was 23 years ago and I can make some T350's and T400's do some wicked shifts. I used long bolts with big washers and a pry bar to get the pumps off. Always worked without any damage to the trans. Oh, and I'd imagine you can get all your parts for about $150 or less, providing you do not need any hard parts and you probably don't in your case. Had you lost only 2nd for example, then I'd say you need a sprag replaced, but sounds to me it just wore out Forward clucthes. Also, DO get a rebuilt torque converter. DACCO makes good converters. If you need a place to order parts, I know of a place that is cheap online from FL. They are many times cheaper than what I can get locally as trans rebuilder jobber cost.

Last edited by hotrodpc; July 21st, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:46 AM

hotrodpc,

Where can I get those rebuilt converters online? I was having the same problem as thorpedo, but opted to change my tranny as I am upgrading to a BB.
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM

You may be able to get one local. There is Dacco of Detroit in Flint, MI. 3514 S. Saginaw 810-234-3417. I get my Dacco Converters locally here in OKC at OTS (Oklahoma Trans Supply) because of shipping weight, they are cheaper for me to get locally. This place here has rebuild kits at a decent price and you can order online out of FL. http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Default.asp
I have never checked about purchasing a converter from them, so I am not sure what brand they use or carry.
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. Flint is not that far from me.